• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Basketball - '23-24 Schedule Thread

Will depend on how good (or bad) the ACC is this year. ACC can't take a bunch of horrible losses in November and December like it has over the past two years.

All 3 games in Charleston are going to be known programs.
If it read that Wake was playing Georgia, Utah, St John’s, Houston, Florida, and Rutgers in non-conference, the cupcakes become a non-issue.

There are levels of cupcakes. This schedule has five of the lowest tier of cupcakes.

how easy/hard is it to "just schedule UNCA" or some other team in the region that was 150-200 KP last year?

how easy/hard is it to "just schedule UNCA" or some other team in the region that was 150-200 KP last year?
Shouldn't be that hard. Non-conference basketball schedules are mostly done early in the same calendar year in which they are played.

This year's non-conference tournament (Charleston Clasic) was put in place only a few months ago.

The reason why the full list of OOC opponents isn't released until July is because those games weren't agreed upon and scheduled until now (the Summer before the season). The exception are the home and home series (e.g., WF/Rutgers; WF/UGA; WF/Florida) which get negotiated, but not scheduled, earlier. Also, some teams you know are going to be super terrible regardless of when the game is scheduled. Delaware State has been 339 or below for the last 8 years. So, whenever WF sets a matchup with Delaware State, they will be terrible.

Additionally, the reason why WF essentially lost the entire month of December in Forbes first year was because the entire WF roster caught COVID from playing Delaware State on November 25, 2020.

This schedule sucks.

ETA: There are good games in there, but stop playing so many games against bottom 70 teams. It's so bad and crushes you SOS wise as Pilch said.

I overstated it saying it sucks but I'm so tired of playing so many bottom tier teams when you can play 175-275 ranked teams, still win, and not have as massive a hit

Is it more expensive? Are there economics at play that are meaningful in some way? Like is scheduling worse than Elon teams giving us an extra few hundred grand for assistant coaches?

seems like a business-minded school AD could increase their rate for traveling in this four Quad NCAAT selection world if they were a KP 100-200 team

I don't understand how we keep having this same problem year after year after year. Did we not hire a firm to help us schedule better?

I love that the OOC tourney is better and we get Florida and Buttgers, but all of that is going to be mitigated (assuming we basically do what's "expected") by only beating these bottom dwelling teams by like 20 instead of 40.

It's just really frustrating.

Just seeing the schedule, and it's very disappointing.

There is very high persistence among teams rated worse than 300 in KP ratings. Most of them will again be worse than 300 this upcoming year. Something like 95% of them will be Q4 games this upcoming year. Terrible to schedule FIVE of those teams. Inexcusable.

I agree the schedule isn't great, but I also think our downfall the past two seasons has been losing very winnable ACC games that we needed to win. Clemson two years ago is probably the best example. I also think we lost some of those games because of lack of PG depth, which I don't think will be as big of a problem this season.

Last year in the MWC, San Diego State, Utah State, and Nevada combined to play ZERO games against teams rated worse than 300 in KP. (they did play D2 teams - you don't get punished for playing those games; it's like they never happened). Boise State played two such games. We have scheduled five. WTF are we thinking?

Back