• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake/UVA

Are you really happy with codi v brogdon one on one at the top of the key? I just can't believe there's nothing else to try. I thought he'd at least get a shot up, but he had little chance by himself in that situation.

Not really. But like I've said no one has come up with anything better.
To be an end-of-game guy, you need to have more than one dimension to your game. And, as big a pair as our guys have shown most of the time in the last month or so, we have a plethora of one-dimension guys. That's just where we are.
Hopefully Crawford can be a threat to be that guy, and Chill the year after.

No one feels worse than Codi right now. I love that guy. He's a warrior. I haven't seen a shooter successfully rebound a free throw in ages. His playmaking this year is much improved. He's finding people under the hoop with dart passes. Facing UVA in the half court D is a way less than 50% chance of success for any team- esp with limited time.
Still, I gotta believe our best chance to score against them there is with a drive and dish.

Brogden is one of the best defenders in the league plus he is taller than Codi. I think Hudson had the best match-up at the end of the game. Dinos with a pump fake might have been interesting. The was he was shooting they were not going let him get off a shot. I am not sure that is a Euro move though.

I do really like Codi because he tries so hard. I just think that sending him out against their set d and probably best defender is a tough assignment.

Not really. But like I've said no one has come up with anything better.
To be an end-of-game guy, you need to have more than one dimension to your game. And, as big a pair as our guys have shown most of the time in the last month or so, we have a plethora of one-dimension guys. That's just where we are.
Hopefully Crawford can be a threat to be that guy, and Chill the year after.

Saw Crawford blow a last second possession in the exact way CMM did in their ESPN3 game a month or so ago--think he dribbled it off his foot. I'm sure he will be great but shit happens to everybody.

So to recap... Bunch of Woodens we have around here.

I have just returned to the boards here to let my disappointment settle a bit.

I am yet amazed at the stunning lack of basketball knowledge exhibited by some here. Sheesh.

Given what we (some of us, at least) know about this team's deficiencies, got to like the way we hung in there today against the #2 team in the land.

UVA played like it in the second half; like you pretty much knew they would.

So to recap... The brilliant late-game options the "anyone but Codi" crowd has trotted out are, in no particular order:
"Give the ball to Crab," who has yet to show he can take anyone off the dribble,
"Give the ball to Mitchell," who REALLY hasn't shown the ability to take anyone off the dribble,
Work through Devin in the post, who had no shot attempts and was doubled the whole game, and who couldn't kick out to anyone today the way he usually does,
"Give the ball to Dinos" who can't dribble,
"Run your normal offense" which I normally wouldn't mind, but we got no open looks within the first 12 seconds (the amount of time left at the last possession) all day,
Pick and pop with Dinos, which isn't half bad but probably would've been switched on today and OH YEAH requires Codi to have the ball in his hands, so it kind of goes against the greater point.
Bunch of Woodens we have around here.

Who the hell said that we needed to take a guy off the dribble to set up a good shot in the final 15 seconds?

Other than that, great post defending a coach that let his team down by not putting them in the best position to win.

Calling a spade a spade isn't unloyal to Wake Forest. Manning needs to do better in EOG situations. Today was a poor coaching job.

Who the hell said that we needed to take a guy off the dribble to set up a good shot in the final 15 seconds?

Other than that, great post defending a coach that let his team down by not putting them in the best position to win.

Calling a spade a spade isn't unloyal to Wake Forest. Manning needs to do better in EOG situations. Today was a poor coaching job.

Make a suggestion.

Crab as a point forward. Get Codi moving off the ball and towards the basket. Off the ball screen. Crab passes to Codi. See what happens.

I don't put it all in anybody's hands, because, as you noted, we don't have any players that specialize in breaking their man down off the bounce in the halfcourt. Codi included.

Expecting a player to do something that they clearly aren't specialized in doing (Codi going 1 v 1 in the halfcourt) to win the game was lousy coaching on Manning's part. He is still learning, so ok, let's move on. But let's not pretend like going with Codi off the bounce was his one and only option.

Manning goofed. Codi goofed worse. We lost.

That's an interesting idea. And if the play breaks down, run a ball screen out for Crab and free him up for a jumper or PNR.
Poes for the first good idea in four hours.

Billboard time?

just speaking for myself, but I believe Manning is going to turn into a very good coach.

However, I think it is absurd that Wellman hired a coach in progress that has much to learn after gutting the program via 4 years of He Who Shall Not Be Named. Gross negligence on Wellman's part. The man should have been fired months ago for his clear incompetence.

Expecting a player to do something that they clearly aren't specialized in doing (Codi going 1 v 1 in the halfcourt) to win the game was lousy coaching on Manning's part. He is still learning, so ok, let's move on. But let's not pretend like going with Codi off the bounce was his one and only option.

This is too rich. Having a freshman with a loose handle, especially against pressure D, who rarely if ever scores on the move play point forward is your best idea and yet you think CMM on the bounce was a bad idea. Ok

Just when I think you can't post anything more retarded you double down on this dumb idea of Hudson at point forward.

Last edited:

Yes, and that speaks to our lack of true point guard talent currently. Codi is just not a good dribbling ball handler and to put him in that position was high risk at best.

Chill clearly tried to coach up CMM before the last possession....unfortunately CMM is no Chill.:(

Not to feed a troll, but Codi is great in our halfcourt offense. The problem as ph pointed out is that we decided not to run our halfcourt offense with 13 seconds left. I am all for codi taking a winning drive in the final seconds within the offense: coming off the ball, creating a mismatch, whatever. But if we're not going to run the offense because there's not enough time (I agree in this case there wasn't) then we need to try to draw something else up.
Did not see the game, but history would say if CODI has the ball at the end of th game we will lose. He can shoot jump shots or free throws.

The end game has to be a team effort, not Codi going by himself.

Make sure Devin is working really hard down low, like we want to force it to him for a layup. Devin can and must keep at least one and preferably two defenders occupied. They doubled him all night. There is time to work the ball low to him, so, make VA think that is happening. Wilbekin gets the ball initially, with instructions to 1) look for Devin, but if he is covered, 2) pass to Codi or 3) if he is open, shoot. Wilbekin is probably the best combo of three point shooter and free throw shooter. He gets about 4 seconds to do one of those three things. If ball goes to Codi:

Dinos sets screen for Codi. Wilbekin and Hudson go to their favorite shooting spots. Depending on how UVA handles the screen, Codi drives, passes to Devin on the low blocks, kicks back to Dinos on pick and pop, or hits whichever of Hudson or Wilbekin looks most open.

Make VA guard all five guys, and have Wake's five try to do what each does best. Devin bang down low. Codi drive. Dinos, Hudson and Wilbekin look for spot jumpers.

Back