• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

I think that is a matter of state law/regulations (and in states where it is prohibited, I believe it really only goes to the amateur status of the kid still in high school, so it’s not actually prohibited, it’s that the kid wouldn’t be able to compete in amateur (e.g., high school) athletic competitions, which wouldn’t be an issue for a high school baseball draftee).

Or do you mean more from the perspective of you aren’t supposed to be able to use NIL as an inducement to enroll at a specific school (but I think that’s pretty easy to avoid problems with - the contract basically just can’t be contingent on enrolling or living in a certain city)?
I’m not super familiar with the rules so I’m not entirely sure what I mean! Just noting that it will provide an interesting case.

Pilch, can you please provide some context vis a vis Kam Uter?
Link to Kam Uter stats

Clawson's first big wideout commitment. Uter played baseball too. Dodgers picked Uter in the 12th round of the 2014 draft. He passed up his WF football scholarship for a $200K signing bonus.

Over Uter's four seasons in North America pro baseball (I believe he also pitched in Japan at some point), he never advanced past low A. He now coaches travel baseball teams in Atlanta....

Yes, that’s what he’s saying.

If a player is viewed as a risk to not sign, he will fall in the draft and be taken with a late pick (if at all). Then, once the MLB team has assessed how much bonus pool money is going to its other draftees, the team will either make the kid a real offer and try to get him to sign or make a lowball offer that they know the kid won’t actually sign.
Definitely an art to it with setting numbers.

Worth remembering at this time last year, WF thought it was getting Gill-Hill and Lowe to both get to campus. And neither was seen as a slam-dunk sign in the few days after the draft. It's all about how much money teams can move around; that's why the 9th and 10th rounds will be littered with low-leverage guys.

If you do not sign a top 10 round pick, then the team loses the slot value toward bonus pool. Teams can divide that bonus pool however they choose. Braves, for instance, last year signed round 8-10 picks for a total of $7500 to save $475k to be allocated to over slot signings earlier in draft

Worth remembering at this time last year, WF thought it was getting Gill-Hill and Lowe to both get to campus. And neither was seen as a slam-dunk sign in the few days after the draft. It's all about how much money teams can move around; that's why the 9th and 10th rounds will be littered with low-leverage guys.

And family situation absolutely makes an impact. Some of these kids…$200k signing bonus means a ton. And some just hate the idea of going to classes

All WF incoming freshman are signed to LOIs to attend WF. So, don't see a problem from them getting an NIL deal now as it's not an "improper recruiting inducement." Each of these incoming players are now considered WF athletes (e.g., Seaver King).

With that said, not sure those that support WF baseball are allocating a ton of NIL money to incoming frosh, would think that most of the available baseball NIL baseball money has been or will be spent on: a) making up the difference between the WF scholarship and the cost to attend WF; b) keeping key players on the roster out of the portal; and maybe c) keeping a current player who is drafted late from signing with a MLB team (Tommy Hawke). If an MLB team offers an incoming frosh to sign, just not sure there is much, if any, NIL money available to match MLB bonus money. If so, the WF baseball program is even more well-funded than I thought.

Link to Kam Uter stats

Clawson's first big wideout commitment. Uter played baseball too. Dodgers picked Uter in the 12th round of the 2014 draft. He passed up his WF football scholarship for a $200K signing bonus.

Over Uter's four seasons in North America pro baseball (I believe he also pitched in Japan at some point), he never advanced past low A. He now coaches travel baseball teams in Atlanta....
Parental malpractice not to get the Wake diploma for free unless he didn’t like football and/or couldn’t also play baseball at Wake.

Pretty sure Walter alluded in an interview/article to both being a factor into having unexpected late scholarship money available for some portal deals last year…don’t remember timing but obviously some combo of Johnson, Roland, Sullivan, Massey and Lee.

Late scholarship money? How does that work? Were they planning on using less than the 11.7 scholarships?

Parental malpractice not to get the Wake diploma for free unless he didn’t like football and/or couldn’t also play baseball at Wake.
Counterpoint: people get hit in the head playing football. Seems silly to criticize a parent if a kid decides not to play.

Late scholarship money? How does that work? Were they planning on using less than the 11.7 scholarships?

Planning on money going to HS kids that didn’t come? Someone didn’t return who was on scholarship? Another kid qualified for large academic money?

Quite a few ways for it to happen I’d think

Can someone list here who all from the team is in the portal?

Can someone list here who all from the team is in the portal?
Has been posted already somewhere on this thread I think but not sure exactly where….off the top of my head I only know all the C guys….Cecere, Cueto, Crum, Costello and Corona. But I think there were a couple others too.

(lurker)

There is some sadistic and self-serving (and sometimes self-deprecating) "Wake/NC at large" thinking involved in all of these transfer and portal opportunities and message board responses. Full disclosure, I dropped WAKE like a bad habit when they didn't offer me scholarship money for law school, and I am approaching year 15 of donating to my law school.

If I recall Uter was expected to do more than flame out in A-ball. I followed him in low A-ball just as I do for any heralded Red Sox prospect. It doesn't always compute.

He shot his shot. He flamed. Hard to fault a parent for allowing a kid to follow his dream and to play in the Dodgers organization. Seems to have built a nice situation for himself. Buy him a beer and make him a Deac fan moving forward.

(lurker)

There is some sadistic and self-serving (and sometimes self-deprecating) "Wake/NC at large" thinking involved in all of these transfer and portal opportunities and message board responses. Full disclosure, I dropped WAKE like a bad habit when they didn't offer me scholarship money for law school, and I am approaching year 15 of donating to my law school.

If I recall Uter was expected to do more than flame out in A-ball. I followed him in low A-ball just as I do for any heralded Red Sox prospect. It doesn't always compute.

He shot his shot. He flamed. Hard to fault a parent for allowing a kid to follow his dream and to play in the Dodgers organization. Seems to have built a nice situation for himself. Buy him a beer and make him a Deac fan moving forward.
I have no idea what your donating to your law school has to do with anything. Full disclosure, I have multiple grad degrees and have never given a cent to anyone other than Wake because without Wake I probably wouldn’t have gotten into those schools and I definitely wouldn’t have chosen the career path that I did. With that said, everything about this is irrelevant to a post about WF baseball offseason.

I have no idea what your donating to your law school has to do with anything. Full disclosure, I have multiple grad degrees and have never given a cent to anyone other than Wake because without Wake I probably wouldn’t have gotten into those schools and I definitely wouldn’t have chosen the career path that I did. With that said, everything about this is irrelevant to a post about WF baseball offseason.
I digress.

My point is that the holier than thou approach to a Wake degree is pretty stupid. Kids should shop. Just like you and I both did.

I was posting in response to something on Kam Uter. You?

(back to lurking)

Seems like Uter probably could have shot the same shot at Wake and flamed out with a degree from a top tier school. I’m not going to apologize for arguing that attending Wake is a good decision.

Anyone know what percentage of MLB draft picks ultimately make it on the field of an actual MLB game?

(lurker)

Why are you here?

Back