• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Baseball teams never bat their best hitter 4th anymore. Kurtz will hit 3rd (or maybe even 2nd).

Would guess Seaver King will leadoff. At this point, its not clear who is going to be in the lineup besides, Kurtz, King and Houston. The OF and DH are unsettled; would expect Tate Ballestro to play either OF or DH and sometimes catch; Chris Katz could have a similar role. It appears Cameron Gill will catch, but WF may find another option out of the portal. Winnay could be in the lineup at 3rd if King plays second. Hawke could be play second base if King plays 3rd. With so many moving parts, impossible to settle on a lineup right now. Would expect the lineup to be flux for the first part of the season. As previously noted, in 2022, WF had a good year, and the lineup was constantly juggled until the last half of the season.
Seems like time for a breakout for Winnay.

I've seen Ballestero getting some hype, but I'm not expecting much. I'm sure he'll be useful since he's so versatile, but his ostensibly solid numbers at St. John's (.912 OPS) are pretty hollow. In conference games, his OPS was only .725 against really bad competition (average Big East team is worse than our typical midweek opponent). He played 35 ABs in the Cape this year and had a .629 OPS before getting cut (honestly, those numbers are probably a good sign relative to what he did at St. John's -- decent plate discipline as well).

Granted, you never know how guys translate as they increase their competition and Ballestero was a big recruit so you'd think he has some projectable tools, but that aside, I think the data we have suggest he'll be a sub-.700 OPS guy in the ACC.

Go bold and call him a nothing burger so we can bookmark it

When he was at Virginia he did get a two out pinch hit single to give them the lead over Clemson in a game the Cavs went on to win 8-4. So that exists

Go bold and call him a nothing burger so we can bookmark it

Since Ballestero has a somewhat long track record and good plate discipline, I think the standard errors on his performance are relatively small (compared to the crapshoot guessing performance is), so I think he would have to be two standard deviations below the mean (~2.5%) to be totally unplayable in the ACC. But based on what I recall, nothingburger has a looser definition than that. So if Ballestero is one standard deviation below the expectation, I'd classify him as nothingburger.

So I will boldly proclaim that Tate Ballestero has a 16% chance of being a nothingburger for Wake baseball next season.

I've seen Ballestero getting some hype, but I'm not expecting much. I'm sure he'll be useful since he's so versatile, but his ostensibly solid numbers at St. John's (.912 OPS) are pretty hollow. In conference games, his OPS was only .725 against really bad competition (average Big East team is worse than our typical midweek opponent). He played 35 ABs in the Cape this year and had a .629 OPS before getting cut (honestly, those numbers are probably a good sign relative to what he did at St. John's -- decent plate discipline as well).

Granted, you never know how guys translate as they increase their competition and Ballestero was a big recruit so you'd think he has some projectable tools, but that aside, I think the data we have suggest he'll be a sub-.700 OPS guy in the ACC.
Why are you talking so negatively about an incoming Deacon? That is not allowed and anyone who responds to your post instead of blocking you is at risk of being banned.

Since Ballestero has a somewhat long track record and good plate discipline, I think the standard errors on his performance are relatively small (compared to the crapshoot guessing performance is), so I think he would have to be two standard deviations below the mean (~2.5%) to be totally unplayable in the ACC. But based on what I recall, nothingburger has a looser definition than that. So if Ballestero is one standard deviation below the expectation, I'd classify him as nothingburger.

So I will boldly proclaim that Tate Ballestero has a 16% chance of being a nothingburger for Wake baseball next season.
sounds low

Pirates signed Paul Skenes for $9.2 million. $500K under slot. Guessing the Pirates and Skenes reps had a conversation before the draft sketching out terms. Even though it's $500K under slot, its $200K more than the slot for the #2 pick. So, for the promise to sign for $9.2 million if the Pirates picked Skenes #1 overall, Skenes made $200K more than he would have if the Pirates had drafted Crews and let Skenes get picked 2nd.

Clearly Skenes is picking up the next few rounds of beers when they hang out.

Clearly Skenes is picking up the next few rounds of beers when they hang out.
By Skenes agreeing to go under slot that allowed Crews to go over slot at 2 and he will apparently get $10M bonus he was demanding all along. So i think it's fair to say that Crews probably picks up the next few rounds:)

Looks like Hawke and Alex Mooney (draft eligible sophomore from Duke drafted a round after Hawke) were both flying to Phoenix on Saturday. According to this, Mooney was going to take his physical, but had not yet signed. Maybe the same was true for Hawke…

Back