• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF Baseball Off-season Thread

Given the advanced labs that we have there is a reasonable chance that we might have better stuff to help them out than a good number of minor leagues do too.

If I were coming out of HS as a top recruit now, I would almost certainly go to college for three years, get a couple of bags, and then put in my time in the minors.

Given the advanced labs that we have there is a reasonable chance that we might have better stuff to help them out than a good number of minor leagues do too.

If I were coming out of HS as a top recruit now, I would almost certainly go to college for three years, get a couple of bags, and then put in my time in the minors.
If I was a high school kid getting drafted in Rounds 3-10, I'd very likely be going to college like you said. But if I was getting drafted in the top 2 rounds, I think logic says you should go. There's not much room left to go up at that point, and there's too many stories of guys going to college and their draft stock being much lower after 3 years. I'd deal with the bus rides for a 7 figure signing bonus and an MLB team treating my development like a top priority.

Yeah it depends on the signing bonus I think. I would try to get my money from whichever side is willing to offer it.

Maybe I'm just risk-averse, but I don't think I could have ever done what Hartle did out of high school, which was opt out of the draft even though he was projected to be a top ~50-75 or so pick. It's looking like it will work out for him as he is now projected higher than he was coming out of high school. But man, I would have constantly worried that I blow out my arm freshman year and my draft stock just never recovers. And it's not like Hartle chose Wake at that time for a massive NIL deal.

Count me in for two seats at a table as well if that’s something RTQ can accomodate. I could give a shit about Chipper, but want to support the Diamond Deacs!
I’d go in for 2 tickets if we can scrounge up some other randos to fill up a table

i don't care much for chipper, but if one more at a table would be enough to make it happen i'd probably be in*. i'm coming down for opening weekend anyway.

Nice, we are up to 6, maybe 7. Need a couple more to make this happen. Otherwise I guess I've got to start calling around to Winston-Salem area car dealerships who may have bought a table, since otherwise RTQ doesn't seem to want our money.

I think the recent trend with college guys getting drafted after their junior year and often ending up in High A ball (or even AA, see Wilken) in that same season is a lot more enticing than coming out of high school and ending up in that High A/breaking into AA during the same time frame. It's rare to see someone like a Jackson Holliday skyrocket through the minors by the time they are 21.

Competition in the low minors is really bad right now. Lots of teams are being very aggressive with players. The eliminating of teams and roster spots seems like it will have a big impact on who makes it to campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Competition in the low minors is really bad right now. Lots of teams are being very aggressive with players. The eliminating of teams and roster spots seems like it will have a big impact on who makes it to campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup - when you go from six US based minor league teams to four, that's a big drop in the number of minor leaguers that you can keep in your system.

Yup - when you go from six US based minor league teams to four, that's a big drop in the number of minor leaguers that you can keep in your system.
That's over 1800 minor league spots gone.

It should, theoretically, mean that the competition is better but it hasn’t played out that way.

It should, theoretically, mean that the competition is better but it hasn’t played out that way.
I'd say it more condenses the bottom end of the pyramid. The top (AAA, AA, High A) remains untouched, but guys that might have hung on for 1-3 seasons of Low-A ball just because of the volume of spots available there has dried up. Before, it wasn't uncommon to see some guys hang on to that dream and play a season of Short Season A (which is gone) and then a season or two of Low A ball. Now, it's you've got to swim or sink in Low A Ball; the loss of the short-season leagues has really put a hurt on the slots available.

Players develop at their own pace, there will be players that would have made it to MLB under the old system (a 50 round draft and 6 levels) that will never have a chance to make it now. In addition, contraction has taken away professional baseball from a number of cities that supported their teams. The crazy thing is that the MILB contract move saved a fraction of the money that MLB teams spend on players salaries.

Nice, we are up to 6, maybe 7. Need a couple more to make this happen. Otherwise I guess I've got to start calling around to Winston-Salem area car dealerships who may have bought a table, since otherwise RTQ doesn't seem to want our money.

A pretty prominent donor asked me to try to secure 2 spots, if you'd have us.

I'll mention him stroking a check at poker tonight.

A pretty prominent donor asked me to try to secure 2 spots, if you'd have us.

I'll mention him stroking a check at poker tonight.

Yes! I’m still really hoping to be able to attend this and a little salty at RTQ for making it such a pain in the ass to give them $500.

Hi! We aren't selling individual tickets due to demand (good problem to have).

10 person tables start at $2500 ... VIP tables are $3500.

Happy for RTQ that you’ve had a good response, but it stinks for those of us who would happily donate and attend, but don’t have a large group of friends or clients to fill out a table.

Back