• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Hoops: '24-'25 Roster Construction Thread: (-) Carr, Monsanto, Ituka, Clark, Miller, Marsh, Keller, Canka / (+) Spillers, Biliew, Cosby

Didn’t he choose to redshirt before last season started?
I mean I imagine he talked with the staff and was told Taylor would get the majority/all of those minutes so he chose to redshirt. Also don’t think it happened before the season started, I’m pretty sure a few games had been played

guys doing well at lower levels is not really the flex you think it is
Yeah, Jacksonville is 275 in KenPom, a few spots lower than Presbyterian. In their four games against P6 competition, they lost by 23 to Xavier, by 51 to Pitt, by 42 to UCF, and by 43 to Purdue. I'm glad McCray has found some success there, but he's jacking up over 30% of his team's shots (64th-highest mark in the country) against a defensive strength of schedule that ranks 360 out of 362 teams nationally. He wasn't making a mark here.

Yeah, Jacksonville is 275 in KenPom, a few spots lower than Presbyterian. In their four games against P6 competition, they lost by 23 to Xavier, by 51 to Pitt, by 42 to UCF, and by 43 to Purdue. I'm glad McCray has found some success there, but he's jacking up over 30% of his team's shots (64th-highest mark in the country) against a defensive strength of schedule that ranks 360 out of 362 teams nationally. He wasn't making a mark here.
And he performed well against those teams. He's probably performed best of any guy from Wake who was not a starter that transferred.

Right now, Forbes is bombing out on guys he's recruited that came in as Freshmen.

And he performed well against those teams. He's probably performed best of any guy from Wake who was not a starter that transferred.

well, he had 6 assists and 13 turnovers with an eFG% of 49%, (26.7% from 3) and an average ORtg of 93 over those 4 games. Not Carter Whitt level, but not setting the world on fire.

I would not be completely surprised if we got another year of Hunter. If we do, I think that significantly changes the outlook for next year.

Players should be able to transfer mid-year.

Right now, Forbes is bombing out on guys he's recruited that came in as Freshmen.
Hildreth and Parker came in as a freshman. Jury is still out on Marion.

Of course we won't

Bacon will stay at unc for 40 years but once a Wake player sniffs the first round of a mock draft, they're gone
Well to be fair, has Bacot ever sniffed the first round of a mock draft? I'm pretty sure the answer is no

No Depth, Part 1
Our issue all year has been no depth. It is my opinion that the biggest portion of blame attributable to Forbes is for not having enough playable scholarship players due to a combination of circumstances within and outside of his control. (Everything from the eye test having watched every second this year to looking at stats after games points to our rotations actually being really good, for the third straight year). And rectifying this will go a long way in determining whether next year turns out better than this year.

As we think about who was at all ready to play this year, here is our roster's plus/minus for the season excluding the 5 deep quad 4 non-conference opponents. It's not perfect because guys didn't play the same minutes against the same opponents, but directionally right....

Carr +178
Hildreth +144
Reid +141
Sallis +139
Boopie +113

PF +26
Monsanto +23
Keller +16
Marsh -16

Canka -23 (-39.3 per 40 minutes)
Marion -65 (-17.6 per 40)

Last edited:
All those minutes spent playing starters to rack up margin of victory on lesser opponents for the metrics were wasted with this 3 game losing streak.
There's another guy, was once an assistant under Skip, who is doing all this differently than Forbes.

There's another guy, was once an assistant under Skip, who is doing all this differently than Forbes.

main-qimg-7504b5913f3bf41b7399e8f53924886e

No Depth, Part 1
Our issue all year has been no depth. It is my opinion that the biggest portion of blame attributable to Forbes is for not having enough playable scholarship players due to a combination of circumstances within and outside of his control. (Everything from the eye test having watched every second this year to what looking at stats after games points to our rotations actually being really good, for the third straight year). And rectifying this will go a long way in determining whether next year turns out better than this way.

As we think about who was at all ready to play this year, here is our roster's plus/minus for the season excluding the 5 deep quad 4 non-conference opponents. It's not perfect because guys didn't play the same minutes against the same opponents, but directionally right....

Carr +178
Hildreth +144
Reid +141
Sallis +139
Boopie +113

PF +26
Monsanto +23
Keller +16
Marsh -16

Canka -23 (-39.3 per 40 minutes)
Marion -65 (-17.6 per 40)

Do you have these readily available for ACC games only?

Do you have these readily available for ACC games only?
Reid +122
Carr +121
Sallis +110
Hildreth +103 (we can see the slight drop from the totals)
Boopie +82

PF +36
Monsanto +23

Keller +3
Marsh -13

Marion -25 (-21.0 per 40)

Well to be fair, has Bacot ever sniffed the first round of a mock draft? I'm pretty sure the answer is no
He should've left right after the Kansas loss. Would not be surprised if his draft stock has just decreased since then.

Not sure how fair it is to hammer Forbes for depth and high school recruiting when we had no NIL program to speak of until this past year. You can land starters by promising them ACC minutes and free steak at Putters, much harder to land decent bench/role players. Monsanto and Ituka draining a scholarship each with zero benefit didn't help much either - not just from a numbers standpoint but also because recruits had to assume they'd both be getting minutes. I mean, an experienced shooter with some length would be invaluable to this team right now, but nobody decent would sign up with Monsanto lurking in the pre-season for no NIL money.

This offseason should tell us a lot. Juke aces the eye-test in my book, we'll need a Sallis replacement from the portal probably. But with Boopie/Cam/Reid back (I assume) the core is pretty damn strong and Forbes has even more transfer cred assuming Sallis gets drafted. Plus he's got NIL money to work with. We play 7 guys right now and 4 of them were added this season. Next year we might be adding 2 of 7, maybe 3 of 8.

Back