• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU @ NCST 8:00pm ACCN

Has WF under Clawson ever faked a punt or kick or tried a surprise on-sides kick? Don't even remember a running back/receiver pass...
We already run a gimmicky offense. There has to be some limits.

Maybe do one, once a year, so opponents need to spend time practicing against.

Like we did in pre-Louisville, sadly, to no avail.

Heck, it might even catch the opponent off guard lol.

Has WF under Clawson ever faked a punt or kick or tried a surprise on-sides kick? Don't even remember a running back/receiver pass...
I think I remember one fake punt it was either under Grobe or Clawson at Florida State and that's the only one I can remember since grobe got here

I feel like our ST used to try some shit occasionally under that funny coach Clawsons first or second year, but not really in the last few years, no.

Clawson actually explained that on this week's radio show. When the offense wasn't good, he felt like he needed to be more aggressive on special teams (fakes, kickoff returns). Now he's content to just play field position and take the ball at the 25.

We ran a fake punt at the Music City bowl in the late Grobe years. That’s the last I can remember.

Clawson actually explained that on this week's radio show. When the offense wasn't good, he felt like he needed to be more aggressive on special teams (fakes, kickoff returns). Now he's content to just play field position and take the ball at the 25.
I'd love to see us have a kicker that can kick the high deep kickoff, even if it doesn't get all the way to endzone. Works kind of like punt with great hand time, gives your coverage team time to get down there. Seems like if Mora tries to kick it deep to hopefully get a touchback, it's a fairly low kick because he has to really drive it to get it there. If it doesn't get deep enough in the endzone the returner usually has a decent chance to make some hay on the return.

I think the point is valid it’s good to make other teams worry about it and practice it!

Very well executed. You'd think Clawson would like to mess with some heads out there with some of this given his teams usually exectue very well.

barring something blatant in the defense, faking is mostly based on math, and having a good offense makes the math almost never makes sense — you’d just go for it instead of faking if you really wanted to score.

It's one thing for a freshman to come in at the fourth quarter when there's nothing to lose and sling it, it's another thing having a whole week with the jitters knowing you're starting in prime time television Saturday night. I'm predicting 2 picks and one fumble from the frosh.

Yeah. That's basically what Clawson said. If Clawson wants to go for 4th and 3 from the 40, there's no reason to do a fake punt.

ironwill, it goes both ways. It's also another thing to get a full week as the starter and to have confidence from his coaches.

Too much time for Doeren to prepare. Look for 2-3 trick plays to score.

Wake is better than State. Period. This game will/should come down to composure, execution and turnovers.

According to Coach Clawson, every game also comes down to whether the Deacs are playing all four quarters with an emotional edge.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article268087867.html

WHAT TO WATCH FOR SATURDAY ? Wake Forest’s offensive execution. The Demon Deacons had eight turnovers in the 48-21 loss at Louisville last week after turning the ball over five times in their first seven games. ? Wake Forest receivers A.T. Perry, Donavon Greene and Jahmal Banks have combined for 90 catches and 16 touchdowns — eight TDs by Banks, who had two against Clemson. Look for the Deacons to test the Wolfpack defense with deep throws to receivers who have size — Perry is 6-foot-5, Banks 6-4 — and speed.

? Sam Hartman. The Deacons’ quarterback has 94 career passing TDs, third best in ACC history, and
needs one to tie former Pack star Philip Rivers for second. Former Clemson quarterback Tajh Boyd had 107. ? Time of possession. While it can be a deceiving stat, the Pack could look to put together time consuming drives that limit the Deacons’ offensive possessions and shorten the game. ? Terrell Timmons, Jr. The Pack’s freshman receiver is one player Morris did know when Morris arrived last summer — the two made a recruiting visit together to NCSU, Morris said. Timmons’ 43-yard catch against Virginia Tech was big in the comeback and set up the Pack’s second TD.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/wake-forest/article267775827.html

“From my freshman year of high school to now, there’s been different things that have happened and you kind of think it might be over,” Hartman said of the near-constant adversity that has served to shape him. “And then you turn the corner and somebody sucker punches you. But it’s definitely something that’s just re-amped that notion of, ‘Enjoy the process.’ Love the time with your teammates and kind of give everything that you’ve got every single time you can.”

Funny that Josh Graham and others on Full Ride claim Hartman had not spoken to media about his condition, etc. He did just last week to the N&O.

Last edited:
Back