• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What is the best sandwich?

made a tasty couple of grilled cheeses for lunch: smoked brisket, mayo, homemade bbq sauce, pickled onions, cheddar on King's Hawaiian buns

I love sandwiches, they are probably my favorite food. I have a special affinity for regional specialties. Leaving burgers out of the conversation, my top 5:

Katz Pastrami - rye bread, deli mustard, and a huge amount of that amazing cured and smoked meat, it melts in your mouth. The corned beef is also excellent.
Maine lobster rolls - I've been to Maine twice and if I had to leave NC it would be near the top of my destinations; many lobster rolls have been consumed, but Even Tide stands out for the non-traditional style.
NC BBQ Sandwiches - Wilbers in the East, Red Bridges in the West, Stamey's and Little Richards in the middle, I don't choose a side in the East v. West, they're both great. If you're in the Raleigh area, head to Prime in Knighdale.
Po Boys - I don't really like New Orleans but seafood was made to be fried and even better with some dope sauce and good bread.
Fried Chicken - I love the Nashville style, Buffalo style, or the ways Ashley Christensen does it at Beasleys (either hot with the Carolina Reaper oil or regular).

ETA: all go exceptionally well with cold beer.

Out of pure curiosity what cities have you traveled to just for a sandwich?
are we counting pilgrimages to like ENC bbq spots?

a few times I've been to New Orleans I've consumed an ungodly amount of sandwiches. also have eaten a lot in Philly.

I considered cheesesteak, but I have a very difficult time finding a good one, outside of Putters that is.

Cheesesteaks are like pizza to me - every one is pretty much good no matter who makes it. I lived on the subway cheesesteak for like two years at wake and that’s gotta be the floor. Course that was before they just microwaved the pre-portioned little trays, now that version is probably the floor.

Cheesesteaks are like pizza to me - every one is pretty much good no matter who makes it. I lived on the subway cheesesteak for like two years at wake and that’s gotta be the floor. Course that was before they just microwaved the pre-portioned little trays, now that version is probably the floor.
IIRC the Subway that was in the old Pit they just had a giant vat of the steak that they scooped out. when they moved to the standalone on the Quad they had the little trays

Yup you got it. And on days when the sandwich artist on that part of the line DGAF you might end up with an enormous amount.

Yup you got it. And on days when the sandwich artist on that part of the line DGAF you might end up with an enormous amount.
that was the stalest goddamn bread ever. they'd just make it all at once seemingly days before. all the employees seemed like assholes too. stark contrast to the Quad one where they were always baking bread and the employees were super nice and funny.

I don't know about that. The cheesesteaks in Eastern PA and South Jersey are on another level from anything I have ever gotten anywhere else.

Oh I don’t doubt that at all. Never been there but I’d likely agree with you that they’re way better than the one you can get at every random bar food kind of place anywhere in the country, yet I can pretty much enjoy those as well. A good problem, for me at least, to have such a wide range of acceptability.

My most eaten sandwich has to be peanut butter and a sliced up banana. Love that with a bag of chips and a cold drink. I also like club sandwiches which is like the ranch of sandwiches but something about that middle bread

My most eaten sandwich has to be peanut butter and a sliced up banana. Love that with a bag of chips and a cold drink. I also like club sandwiches which is like the ranch of sandwiches but something about that middle bread
Yeah, run out the door “sandwich” is a peanut butter banana wrapped in a tortilla.

I lean toward hot sandwiches. Tuna melt and grilled cheese with bacon are top on my list. Meatball sub and cheesesteak are close behind. I have a very soft spot for the chicken cheesesteak from Jersey Mike’s.

If you give me a cold sandwich it better be turkey, mayo and black pepper on the day after Thanksgiving or a meatloaf sandwich on squishy white bread.

Which reminds me I’m shocked at so few mentions of tomato sandwiches on this thread.

The State Fair is in town and the grilled cheese sandwich wrapped up all in bacon gets my vote!

Back