• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Winter/Spring Sports (2/12 Update)

The ACC and NCAA championships are coming up in the next few weeks. Here is how the Wake teams stand:

Field Hockey, #11 RPI: They play UNC today in the first round of the ACC tourney. A win would likely put Wake into the top 10 RPI.

Men's Soccer, #16 RPI: They play their final home game of the regular season tomorrow night against Syracuse at 7pm.

Women's Soccer, #24 RPI: They are awaiting the NCAA tourney draw, which I think is released on Sunday.

Volleyball, #77 RPI: They still have 8 games left. They play at MD and Pitt this weekend.

The Wake field hockey team made the NCAA tourney for this first time since 2010. Interestingly, only 19 teams make the tourney and all 7 ACC teams made it. There are only 8 at-large bids, and 6 are from the ACC. The Deacs are ranked 15 and play #5 Old Dominion on Saturday at UNC.

The Wake field hockey team made the NCAA tourney for this first time since 2010. Interestingly, only 19 teams make the tourney and all 7 ACC teams made it. There are only 8 at-large bids, and 6 are from the ACC. The Deacs are ranked 15 and play #5 Old Dominion on Saturday at UNC.

Glad we made it, but damn, we sure screwed the pooch on having an elite program.

Glad we made it, but damn, we sure screwed the pooch on having an elite program.

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean eternally elite? Because Wake went to 9 straight final fours, 5 out of 7 championship games (from 2002 to 2008), and won 3 straight national championships. Even the past 2 years, when they didn't make the NCAA tourney, they spent the majority of both seasons ranked in the top 25 nationally.

Women's soccer made the NCAA tournament and will have a home game versus Monmouth.

Wake Women's Soccer ‏@WakeWSoccer 15m
Wake Forest will host Morehead State in the first round of the 2013 NCAA Championship on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Even the past 2 years, when they didn't make the NCAA tourney, they spent the majority of both seasons ranked in the top 25 nationally.

How many field hockey teams are there? Not trying to be snarky, legit question

Wake Women's Soccer ‏@WakeWSoccer 15m
Wake Forest will host Morehead State in the first round of the 2013 NCAA Championship on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Odd Penn State is seeded, we aren't, yet the team we're playing is 10-10-1 and the team they're playing (Monmouth) is 17-1-2

How many field hockey teams are there? Not trying to be snarky, legit question

Based on the RPI info, I think there are 80 D1 teams. Which is interesting, considering there are 327 women's soccer teams and 332 women's volleyball teams.

Wake field hockey has really been consistently in the top 15 in the country since 2000, but a few times they dropped down some.

Odd Penn State is seeded, we aren't, yet the team we're playing is 10-10-1 and the team they're playing (Monmouth) is 17-1-2

Very odd. The team we are playing (Morehead St) is 218 in the RPI and Monmouth is 60.

All four number one seeds are from the ACC in the women's soccer tourney.

Based on the RPI info, I think there are 80 D1 teams. Which is interesting, considering there are 327 women's soccer teams and 332 women's volleyball teams.

Wake field hockey has really been consistently in the top 15 in the country since 2000, but a few times they dropped down some.

Why is that odd? I had never heard of field hockey was until I went to Wake.

Very odd. The team we are playing (Morehead St) is 218 in the RPI and Monmouth is 60.

All four number one seeds are from the ACC in the women's soccer tourney.

Probably due to the proximity of the traveling school to the host to keep travel costs down.

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean eternally elite? Because Wake went to 9 straight final fours, 5 out of 7 championship games (from 2002 to 2008), and won 3 straight national championships. Even the past 2 years, when they didn't make the NCAA tourney, they spent the majority of both seasons ranked in the top 25 nationally.

Yep, we became elite and have dropped back to also ran status. UNC and Maryland were elite before we became elite, and have remained elite after we have dropped back to also ran status. Top 25 and not making the NCAA tournament isn't good performance when you went to 9 straight final fours and isn't elite.

We won one game in the ACC this year. Getting a bid as one of the worst teams in the ACC when we were one of the top teams in the nation every year for a decade isn't anything to crow about.

Last edited:
I think that says more about the sport and the NCAA infrastructure for that particular support than it does Wake's individual success. NCAA Field hockey is kind of a joke, in general.

I'm going to say that Rafi is orca fat.

Because I like Wake sports? Bad guess. I'm 6ft 180lbs. So, nope, not fat. I'm also not a poster with 70 parody accounts, a man that goes to spin class, or a guy that dressed up like Sandra Bullock for the IMAX premiere of the movie Gravity. Congrats on having all those distinctions, Marquee.

Back