• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your encounters with wildlife

Use Firefox and adblock. It is ridiculously easy.

I wish I could use Firefox at work. I pretty much have to scroll past Knight and Bacon's posts (to think of 2 people quickly) as soon as I get to them.

I just watched a deer grazing through my back yard. They usually don't come out in the yard til dusk or dawn.

The other day one of them snorted at me while I was hitting some golf balls in the back yard.

several years ago, i was having lunch in central park on a beautiful spring day along with several hundred other people. about 50 feet away, i noticed a nasty old female bum dropping trou by some bushes. a young girl, probably just recently out of college and new to the city, saw her too and gasped in horror. the vagrant looked up at her and snarled, "if you can't take the animals, get out of the jungle!"

This thread has some very different entries on Packpride.com

Where to begin…

Most recently I hit an alligator with a nine iron. My ball was about 140 yards out, and the alligator was impeding my stance. My father-in-law, with whom I was playing, is from Maryland, and despite living in Florida for the last 25 years, he has a strong distrust of alligators. He assured me that I could drop in the fairway, but it was only a little five footer, and so I walked up to it and when it didn’t move, I bopped it with my nine iron. It quickly reentered the lake, and I hit my approach. Unfortunately my swing at the gator was better than my shot, and I bogeyed the hole.

When I was about eight a copperhead coiled around my drive in the middle of a fairway. I still had my driver in hand, and so my dad drove quickly past it, and with the prowess of an experienced polo player, I whacked the ball and snake about 15 yards down the fairway.

I happened upon a flock of roseate spoonbills that were basking in the middle of, you guessed it, a golf course.

In Georgia I was chased (albeit briefly) by a boar until I jumped into the bed of my godfather’s truck.

In Maine, while climbing some rocks in my Aunt & Uncle’s back yard, I came eye to eye with a big bull moose. I may or may not have screamed like a little girl and ran in the opposite direction. Luckily I had made it rather far up the rock outcropping, and so he did not give chase.

In Alaska my wife and I saw 10+ bald eagles just chilling on the bank of a river about 50yds away.

When we lived in Richmond, a huge hawk disemboweled a squirrel in our back yard. He was perched on our gutter, and there were guts and a portion of a mandible lying on our porch. We had to get a pressure washer to get the blood off the siding.

Copperhead bite was while picking up a pinecone mowing the grass. Got me on the base of my thumb. Went to the ER and puked for a day or so. I didn't kill the snake, so the didn't give me antivenom or anything. Plus the bite was minimal and only minor venom got in me. I fought it off.

Black widow was under the door handle of my car. Right in the palm. Went to the ER. They gave me some shots and watched it for a bit, then sent me home. It hurt for days.

Man o War stung like fire. 1 tentacle thingy wrapped up my calf. I got it off quickly so it didn't scar. Didn't go to the hospital that time, but it stung like a lot of bees.

I had a man o war just barely graze my stomach. Stung quite a bit and left a big red line.

I ran into a tree branch with a wasp nest in it which fell down my shirt. Got stung over 100 times and was unconscious for 24 hours or so.

Saw a crocodile (not an alligator which would have made some sense) running down the beach in IOP last year around 5 AM. Animal control assumed it must have been a pet.

Similar thing happened to me as a kid, but I didn't go unconscious. Was only yellowjackets, though, so I don't know if that's less severe. Definitely had to go to the hospital, though. Hundreds of stings all over my body, and I still have an irrational fear of all wasps/hornets.

Only other one I can think of is in Chile. Was hiking with some and saw a cute little fox following. Then there were two, and quickly we were surrounded by 6-7 foxes. They weren't snarling yet, but I have no doubt that if we hadn't gotten out of there quick there would have been trouble.

I don't know man -- if a person gets stung by yellow jackets hundreds of times all over his entire body, I don't think it's particularly irrational to fear them going forward.

Once had a black snake fall around my neck. He had been lying on the top of a slightly open screen door. When I pushed it open, he fell on me. I shot him.

My car was charged by a bull moose in Jasper, Alberta. The resort told us to watch for them in that it was mating season. Driving out of the resort I must have come between him and his romantic interest. At any rate, thankfully he missed. On another day, we awoke to the bellowing of a moose probably no more that 15 feet from our door.

I've told this story on here too, but I'll tell it again.
This happened within 48 hours of the Baboon story I told earlier in this thread.

Anyway, we're in africa, it's mid day and there's nothing to do. We hunt all morning which can mean up to 10 miles of walking over rough terrain (no paths or anything). We'd just eaten lunch and the food down there is amazing and I'm 16 and had been on the move all morning so I absolutely stuff my face and go back to nap. Our "cabin" is actually a 15ft x 10ft cinderblock hut with a tin roof with two beds. There is an attached "bathroom which is as wide as the cabin but only long enough to accomodate a small toilet and have someone sit on it with there knees scraping against the walls. The door is really just a piece of plywood on swinging hinges. So I decide I'm going to "make some room" after my big lunch and before I try to nap so I head for the head. After I'm done punishing the bathroom i go back into the "main room" and to my bed (which is the far bed from the bathroom). My gun was on my bed so I lean it up against the wall, I start taking things out of my pocket, etc, when out of my preripheral vision I see what looks like a big hole in the bathroom door. I think to myself, "Self, I don't remember being a big hole in the door....how have I not noticed that?" So naturally I turn farther to inspect the hole more closely when I notice that it is in fact not a hole in the door, but it's a gigantic spider......
Now, I'm not really afraid of many things, but spiders are the exception. I wouldn't say I have diagnosable arachnaphobia or anything, but I'll definitely get goosebumps when I have to kill a spider that's in my house and I may have to supress (unsuccessfully sometimes) the "little girl shriek" if I ever notice one on me.
It's kind of funny because you watch all these horror movies and you see these retards that freeze up and become paralyzed with fear right before the mask wearing, machete wielding maniac cuts them to bits and you think, RUN BITCH! HE'S GOING TO CUT YOUR SHIT! but they never do and all they can manage is to have this terrified stupid look on their face as the machete starts its downward motion, then the camera pans away and you just see blood splattered on the wall. All you can do is think, damn, what a MORAN! I would'a kicked homeboy in the junk and halled ass.
So, back to the story....
Upon seeing this spider, I FROZE. I gasped, I took a step back (back against the wall) and absolutely FROZE in fear. As weird as it sounds I believe that was the most panic/horror that I've ever felt in my entire life....to have a big spider on the other side of the room from me (there were actually two spiders, and by anyone's standards they were both huge, but one was significantly bigger so that's the one I focused on).
I can't tell you how long I stood there, could've been 5 seconds could've been close to a minute but i don't even think I could breath. I can remember that I finally kind of snapped out of it and just took a huge gasp of air and looked to my right and saw the gun that I'd leaned against the wall. I grabbed the barrel and picked up the gun (i'm still quasi frozen in fear, but I'm not completely frozen) and held it in both hands. I don't know what I was going to do, but I was definitely seriously considering shooting a spider with a .375 H&H mag. (for those of you who don't know guns, that's a big gun, a really big gun). Luckily it didn't come to that and I saw our professional hunter walk by the window, it took everything I had but I yelled his name (I'm sure it was a pretty desparate sounding yell) and he burst in to see what the trouble was, he scanned the room and saw the spider and almost peed his pants laughing at this 6'4" manchild with a gun in his hand cowered in the corner because of a spider. Anyway, he happened to be carrying a cricket bat and with that bat killed both spiders. To give you an idea of how big the big spider was; he hit the spider pretty square over the body with the bat (cricket bats are something like 5 inches wide) and sticking out from the sides of the bat were parts of the body and the legs were longer than a man's fingers. I'd bet my life that the spider was 12" across...I still get goosebumps thinking about it.

Back