• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your personal kryptonite

do you bring your kids hiking and are they absolutely quiet

do you bring your kids hiking and are they absolutely quiet
The expectation is that usually we all keep conversation to a minimum so we can see wildlife but yeah kids are going to talk. But imo intermittent conversation is less likely to drive off wildlife than the constant speakerbox blare.

feels a little defensive there idk

kids make noise in public too man and I'm glad they do!

I have no expectation of quiet on the beach, though, especially the beaches that I frequent.

agreed! @birdman what are your thoughts on silence in public spaces

to stay on the thread of noise and kids and tech, but to flip it from silence to 11, I also don't understand the anger at crying children on aeroplanes

if you can afford to fly you can probably afford to pick up a pair of cheap active noise canceling earbuds and those plus music should drown out any outside noise (what Hagood calls orphic media)

agreed! @birdman what are your thoughts on silence in public spaces

to stay on the thread of noise and kids and tech, but to flip it from silence to 11, I also don't understand the anger at crying children on aeroplanes

if you can afford to fly you can probably afford to pick up a pair of cheap active noise canceling earbuds and those plus music should drown out any outside noise (what Hagood calls orphic media)
It's not public spaces, it is natural spaces. Make all the noise you want in Time Square, but on the trail 4 miles from the parking lot, turn off the music. For me, going on a hike is meditative and about being in nature away from the buzz and noise of human dominated spaces. Somebody else's music, even if it's my favorite Pavement song, disrupts the meditation and natural experience. It literally drowns out the music of the woods, the crickets, the tree frogs, the rustling leaves. ITC is right, you can get a listening to music while walking experience in many other ways and places that is not disruptive to others' natural space experiences. Kids making noise on a trail is still noisome to me, but its far less offensive because, depending on how old we are talking about, kids have an underdeveloped sense of empathy and otherness.

For me, going on a hike is meditative and about being in nature away from the buzz and noise of human dominated spaces. Somebody else's music, even if it's my favorite Pavement song, disrupts the meditation and natural experience. It literally drowns out the music of the woods, the crickets, the tree frogs, the rustling leaves.

fascinating

very R. Murray Schafer imo

@birdman as a zoologist we need you to weigh in on this please.
This is true. Noisy people scare away wildlife life. I am not sure music is any worse than talking people, but I could easily see the consistent noise and wide range of pitch being more problematic for animals than talking. Plus, intermittent talking provides opportunities for quite in the conversation breaks.

I admit that the last time I took my older child on a walk in the woods, he talked incessantly about video games the entire 3.5 miles and I've not invited him out again. It wasn't fun. Now we just go to a coffee shop or out for sushi instead.

I'm not sure I get down with the natural spaces distinction because what is a non-natural space - plenty of ecology in urban areas

i named the three places where i think quiet should be the norm; the beach may be the least annoying of the three, depending on the crowd/number of people

Between the breeze and the waves people can't hear a speaker that's turned at you.

If you really want serenity on the beach, get up at 6:30 AM.

Back