• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your personal kryptonite

This is true. Noisy people scare away wildlife life. I am not sure music is any worse than talking people, but I could easily see the consistent noise and wide range of pitch being more problematic for animals than talking. Plus, intermittent talking provides opportunities for quite in the conversation breaks.

I admit that the last time I took my older child on a walk in the woods, he talked incessantly about video games the entire 3.5 miles and I've not invited him out again. It wasn't fun. Now we just go to a coffee shop or out for sushi instead.
hmm

seems like it should be possible to balance two modes of hiking experience here

but ymmv quite literally in this case

Yeah, nobody should be hiking with a Bluetooth speaker. That's stupid. I don't think this amounts to Kryptonite though, which would cause you to break down and lose your shit the way a drunk grandma at a Spoon concert would.

Music in the woods on a hike is stupid. I don't think I have ever encountered anyone playing music I could hear on a hike but it would annoy the crap out of me. Not appropriate for the surroundings....

Similarly, I have never understood the appeal of a speaker in your golf cart playing music while you play. You are in and out of your cart, hitting shots, walking to the green, etc. etc. - it is not like you are going to sit there and listen to it. You probably never hear more than a minute or two of a song uninterrupted... Why have it playing? I certainly don't want to hear it when I am on the tee on the next hole. I can live with it if someone I get paired with is playing it but I don't prefer it. One guy we play with won't stand for it and straight up tells people to turn it off - or at least down so we can't hear it if they are in another group...

On the beach I expect to hear people playing music. Hopefully it is something I like, or is not too loud so I can play my own music if I want to and be able to hear it.

I'm not sure I get down with the natural spaces distinction because what is a non-natural space - plenty of ecology in urban areas

Yeah but that is different. When I am walking through cental park and I hear music it just fits with the overall setting.

I also HATE this at baseball games. Trying to take in a game and the row behind you Is jabbering about bullshit.

Yeah, I'm not feeling this at all dude. Other options would be silence, cheering, or jabbering about baseball ? I just go to baseball games to drink and talk to people and maybe cheer when they hit the ball really hard or strike out the man with the bat.

Between the breeze and the waves people can't hear a speaker that's turned at you.

If you really want serenity on the beach, get up at 6:30 AM.
Or just hike away from the bozos. I've come to expect noise and music and shit within a mile or so of the parking lot, at a beach or a forest park, but if I am intentionally making the effort walk far the fuck away from that only to have a blue tooth blaring the latest Pitbull joint out across the otherwise peaceful quiet landscape, that is really disrupting and annoying.

i'm willing to walk back a bit on the beach except to say i still think it sucks to hear someone else's music

How much of baseball is downtime waiting for a pitch or ball in play action? Like 92%?

at the beach where I go to all the dumbass teens walk around now with backpacks and each group has someone blaring hip hop or country from a speaker in the bag. super annoying.

Yeah I dont get music on the golf course or on a hike. Maybe in headphones on a hike or playing a solo practice round I guess

If you must do music on a hike, just get some bone conduction headphones so you can hear nature alongside your private music.

I did bring a speaker on a bachelor party hike to a watering hole recently. But that was more about jamming out and drinking some beers in nature/water than nature itself and there was no one else on the trail or at the watering hole (if there had been I would have turned it off because I am nothing if not very self conscious about infringing on other people)

In padded moccasins.

But yeah I'm absolutely quiet when I'm hiking.
I've been told, out west, in grizzly and moose country (not necessarily the same places), to NOT do this. Quietly walking up and startling a bear or moose is no bueno. Though you're probably fine with black bears in NC.

I've been told, out west, in grizzly and moose country (not necessarily the same places), to NOT do this. Quietly walking up and startling a bear or moose is no bueno. Though you're probably fine with black bears in NC.
Yeah, my wife just constantly screamed "Loud Noises" the whole time we were in Glacier.

My cousin from Alaska just yells/sings "HEEEEEEEYYY BEAR" whenever rounding a corner or entering a thicket.

My weird kryptonite is the squeaky sound that your feet make on dry sand at the beach. Literally sends shivers up my spine.

Music in the woods on a hike is stupid. I don't think I have ever encountered anyone playing music I could hear on a hike but it would annoy the crap out of me. Not appropriate for the surroundings....

Similarly, I have never understood the appeal of a speaker in your golf cart playing music while you play. You are in and out of your cart, hitting shots, walking to the green, etc. etc. - it is not like you are going to sit there and listen to it. You probably never hear more than a minute or two of a song uninterrupted... Why have it playing? I certainly don't want to hear it when I am on the tee on the next hole. I can live with it if someone I get paired with is playing it but I don't prefer it. One guy we play with won't stand for it and straight up tells people to turn it off - or at least down so we can't hear it if they are in another group...

On the beach I expect to hear people playing music. Hopefully it is something I like, or is not too loud so I can play my own music if I want to and be able to hear it.
scooter just before sitting down to post this:
knight.jpg

Back