• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2022 WFU bowl speculation thread

I mean yeah we played a "tough" acc schedule. But as a whole the ACC is not good this year, and thats who were gonna play every year. This was not an abnormally tough schedule or anything.

we went 1-3 vs. Clemson, FSU, UNC, Duke

Georgia Tech went 2-2 vs. Clemson, FSU, UNC, Duke (and also beat Pitt)

Last year we won 3 games (Louisville, Syracuse, State) by a total of 9 points. This year we lost 3 games (Clemson, UNC, Duke) by a total of 11 points. That’s the difference.

Wake will always have a razor thin major for error in football. Last year we won the close games, this year we didn’t.

I mean yeah we played a "tough" acc schedule. But as a whole the ACC is not good this year, and thats who were gonna play every year. This was not an abnormally tough schedule or anything.

In the context of the ACC it certainly was. We played in a division with only one non-bowl team and played two out of the three bowl teams from the other division. All four of our road opponents were bowl teams and we got the two weakest teams in our division (Syracuse and BC) at home where you're more likely to win anyway. I'm sorry but that's a tough draw.

Could we have done better? Sure. But that, a ton of injuries on defense (if you have proof ddb that we had more injuries in other years I'd love to see it, but our secondary was particularly hard hit this year and having any one unit decimated is going to be tough to overcome) and the luck Lilburn references above are pretty obvious explanations

In the context of the ACC it certainly was. We played in a division with only one non-bowl team and played two out of the three bowl teams from the other division. All four of our road opponents were bowl teams and we got the two weakest teams in our division (Syracuse and BC) at home where you're more likely to win anyway. I'm sorry but that's a tough draw.

Could we have done better? Sure. But that, a ton of injuries on defense (if you have proof ddb that we had more injuries in other years I'd love to see it, but our secondary was particularly hard hit this year and having any one unit decimated is going to be tough to overcome) and the luck Lilburn references above are pretty obvious explanations

Still think Clawson overthought the failed 2 pt conversion attempt and the foregone chippy FG costing 4 points and the holes game and hell, just give the damn ball to Cooley twice if needed for a couple yards and we beat dook. :(

We'd all feel much better if that were the case.

Mustapha and Carsen who came back. Who else other than the walk-on who had a great VT game during the Covid year? I agree with everything else you said though.

Agreed....with that said someone will swear we were "screwed over" wherever we end up.
Agreed. Us & Pitt both shit the bed down the stretch and have the worst records at 7-5. We take the Fenway Bowl vs ECU and be happy!

When is the last time we had 2 lock down corners? Clawson inherited K Johnson and Bud ? for 2 years. Since then, Carson is the only stud CB I can recall.

so we're going here because Syracuse lobbied the ACC to not go?
We are the bottom two teams! Geez like we get much pick? We went 1-4 down the stretch after being 10th in the country and are the smallest school in the ACC. Not much pull here. Go, win & suck it up

Ja'Sir Taylor made an NFL roster as a UFA but wasn't a stud at Wake.

If we are going to whine and cry about playing Duke, Cuse, UNC, FSU etc in the same year then 7-5 is about as good as we can expect. Give that schedule to a true top 10 team and they sleepwalk into the playoff.

agreed. He was terrible at WF.
No, that is not accurate. Yes Ja'Sir struggled his first couple of years and got burned a lot, but he got steadily better and was a very good corner for us his last year. Really good story IMHO, great kid from what I heard, worked hard and developed into a guy that plays at the next level.

Thanks for the correction.

Yep so Annapolis almost certainly unless Rose Bowl reverses earlier reports that they want Penn State. If Rose Bowl takes Penn State, Ohio State goes to the Orange Bowl meaning the ACC gets an additional bid to the Reliaquest (eliminating Gasparilla - Tampa - and Birmingham as potential ACC bowl tie ins).

Likely a UCF matchup in what would basically be a toss up on paper pending UCF-Tulane title game.

Cincy vs Louisville at Fenway per the athletic
damnit. Now I'm back to being stuck going to Disney on Ice at 10:30 that morning.

I'd like to see us play UCF - it would be a solid W.

Back