• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2023 Pit Fantasy Football League - THE PLAYOFFS ARE SET

@PhDeac if it makes it any better, every other result you needed to go your way is going your way so far, don't lose hope just yet!

LOL. I’m down 45 to the worst team in the league. But sure, if Hockenson picks up a TD here and Saquon has a career day, I might win.

What makes it worse is Zach Wilson finally had a good game after holding on to him all season.

Best of luck to all that made the playoffs. It's all gravy from here so enjoy the ride. Gooner, thank you again for making the league so much fun despite my pitiful and futile efforts! Hope everyone makes some incredible holiday memories! Cheers! Ghost

Generally speaking, I think 7-8 wins is about the cutoff. Of course, weirdly balanced divisions can change that up
Through Week 7 (halfway through the regular season), there are 12 teams already with 4+ wins, so if those teams just keep pace with what they did in the first half of the season they will win 8+ games. There's 4 more teams that are sitting on 3 wins that could realistically go 5-2 to get to 8 wins. That's 16 total teams that still have a pretty reasonable chance at 8+ wins.

If I was placing the cut line for this season, I'd guess that there will be a tiebreaker to make the playoffs among the teams that go 8-6, and nobody is making the playoffs at 7-7.
QFP

WEEK 14 RECAP
A FAIRY TALE WITH A HAPPY ENDING

giphy.gif

WEEK 14 NOTES

The regular season is in the books and we have our eight playoff teams ready to fight for the 2023 title. There was plenty that went on in Week 14 and numerous scenarios that saw any one of 4 teams with a realistic shot of getting the final playoff spot, but ultimately @JamesSokolove just about got over the line. Let's take a look at some of the highs and lows of Week 14:
  • @TripleDeacon and @YoungBuck95 both all but secured their spots with wins in Week 13, and a further win in Week 14 would clinch a playoff spot outright. For Triple, this was a mere formality as his 2nd highest point total on the season gave him the tiebreakers over anyone who could match his record, but he went out and performed anyway behind another strong Dak/CeeDee performance. YB had a little bit of a harder time going against top-scoring @Sleepy, but despite the Week 14 loss his fate was sealed by others around him dropping their games, giving him the 7th seed and an instant rematch in the first round against Sleepy's Psychos. Congrats to both teams on having a relatively sweat-free Week 14.
  • Now we get to the good stuff. Any of @Satan, Edarem, @Wolf1297, @PhDeac and @BarcaDeac had a shot at the 8th seed, and any of Wolf, Satan, and Edarem could have clinched the spot with an outright win. Ph and Barca needed plenty of help, and boy did they get it. All three 7-6 teams lost their matchups in Week 14 leaving the door open as wide as it could be for Ph and Barca to step in...
  • @BarcaDeac did everything he could. A surprisingly tough matchup against 4-9 Mrs. I/O saw Barca need every single yard to nab a 0.02 point victory to get to 7-7. And while his point deficit was great and a longshot to be made up, Barca saw himself almost catch Satan and be far closer to touching distance than one could otherwise have expected. A heroic performance from Barca, hopefully you have better luck in 2024 (and the dynasty playoffs).
  • @PhDeac on the other hand choked. The easiest matchup possible against last-place @mako1331 could not have backfired on Ph any harder than it did. Ph's playoff odds have been a much-debated topic over the last couple of weeks and whether you think the odds were too low or too high ultimately doesn't matter, as Ph beat those odds and had all results go his way. All that was needed was a victory against mako and a few more points and Ph would have come from the brink of elimination to the playoff field. But he didn't.
  • @Satan had it in his grasp. A win in either Week 13 or 14 would have been enough to see him take the 8th spot on merit and not have to rely on points tiebreakers to maybe just about nab it. Sadly, Satan's inconsistency over the back half of the season finally caught up with him as season-2nd and 3rd worst scores in the final two weeks put the nails in his hellbound coffin. A week 3 narrow loss to Edarem scoring 112.6 points looms large over the season, and there are plenty of regrets that can be had. At the end of the day the team just didn't have enough in it, but Satan will be back stronger in 2024 to be sure.
  • @Wolf1297 receive a short eulogy as his only hope was a victory and help elsewhere. And while he got that help as Ph did, the Fighting Cocks of Appalachia just had more in Week 14. Just a bad beat across the board when Zeke Elliot, Raheem Mostert, and the Vikings D/ST score 60+ on their own. Wolf will surely turn his attentions to supporting his top-seeded better half in the playoffs, best of luck to your family.
  • Finally we get to the lucky 8th seed himself, @JamesSokolove. Edarem needed to have at bare minimum a decent week in Week 14: he was behind Satan on points going into the week and wasn't guaranteed the spot even with a win. Points were at a premium and he got just enough while Satan faltered to get him into that coveted 8th spot. It won't be easy from here, but it was just 4 years ago that a low-seeded Edarem made a charge all the way to the Super Bowl. Anything can happen in fantasy football and just getting into the field is a testament to perseverance with just enough luck on your side. Best of luck, Edarem.

I have to do work stuff but later I will do previews of each of the playoff matchups

ROUND 1 PLAYOFF PREVIEW
THE DAVIDS MEET THE GOLIATHS

giphy.gif

The playoffs are here and it's anyone's game to win. A few of our high-performers will surely be glad to have some games that matter back on the docket, while our teams who just snagged their spots in the final days will be relieved that they got to this point at all. All four matchups look finely poised, let's take a look at how each one could shake out this weekend:

#1 @DeaconPeach vs. #8 @JamesSokolove
Our top seed Peach had a season to remember after the tragedy that was her 2023, and it's good to see a bounceback like that to show that anything is possible in the Pit Fantasy Football League. I will never question her drafts ever again, that's for sure. A team doesn't need another big-time producer when that player is the top-overall WR and a top-5 overall scorer on the season. Behind Tyreek and some surprisingly good seasons from Evan Engram (shoutout @Wakeforest22890) and Rachaad White, Peach dominated the season and clinched the top seed with room to spare. However, question marks are present as her team is a bit hobbled going into the playoffs; Tyreek was gimpy with an ankle injury in Week 14 and is questionable this week, and Trevor Lawrence was up and down himself in Week 14 after what looked like a potential long-term ankle injury the week prior. If Peach can navigate the injuries and get the performances from her players that their regular season suggests are possible, she maintains a strong chance of advancing to the semifinals. But she will surely be watching the injury report with bated breath until those games kickoff.

On the other end of the spectrum, Edarem just barely clinched the 8th and final playoff spot despite his loss in Week 14. It has been a brutal finishing stretch for Edarem with three straight losses entering the playoffs, and an injury to his best skill player in Keenan Allen prevents him from having his strongest lineup available in Round 1. He will be hopeful that Geno can come back from a week out of his own to help drive his team forward, and maybe Week 15 is finally when the real Travis Kelce shows up. It will be an uphill battle with everything seemingly going against him, but crazier things have happened in the fantasy playoffs. Best of luck to both teams this weekend.

#2 @Sleepy vs. #7 @YoungBuck95
A rarity in fantasy football occurs here with a Week 14 rematch happening one week later in the first round of the playoffs. Sleepy has spent the last 11 weeks steamrolling the entire league with only a Week 10 loss to 130+ point scoring Triple a blemish on his record after an 0-3 start. Sleepy's Psychos were the only team to eclipse the outrageous 1300 point barrier this season, and honestly I think this could be the strongest team we have ever seen entering the playoffs since I took over as commissioner. If past is prologue, Sleepy has 80+ points banked with a team that can put a lot more up there than that. He may not be the top seed, but for my money, Sleepy is the top dog in this bracket.

His back-to-back opponent is YoungBuck, who took a much more circuitous route to the playoffs. A rough patch in the middle of the season threw things off for a bit, but ultimately YB got over the line. Similar to Edarem, YB has some guys missing out this week, including a key FLEX guy in Josh Jacobs and potentially also Christian Watson. There are some OK options on his bench to replace them, but it will be critical that Jalen Hurts shows up in a big way to give him a chance against Sleepy. It might have to be one of those Buffalo type games where Hurts is responsible for 5 TDs on his own for him to have a chance, but all you need in the playoffs is an opportunity. YB has that. Good luck, gentlemen.

#3 @iodeac vs. #6 @TripleDeacon
Objects in mirror may be seeded differently than you would think. I/O and Triple could not have had much more polar opposite regular season experiences, making this the most interesting matchup of the round for me. I/O blitzed out to a 7-0 record before falling to his Round 1 opponent in Week 8. From that point on, I/O stumbled to a 3-3 record with a few decent performances and a few duds (ironically not indicative of whether he won in those respective weeks), but was able to clinch the division title with a Week 14 win over redwing. It's hard not to be a bit concerned for I/O who will surely be hoping that CJ Stroud's last two games were the result of facing some of the toughest defenses in the league and not the proverbial rookie wall. If his team can bounce back and perform at their peaks, I/O should have a good chance at pulling through in Round 1. But there are far more question marks surrounding his team than Triple's, and the season might finally catch up to him.

Where I/O took off like a screaming bullet to start the season, Triple had to take his lumps early and arise from the ashes like a phoenix in 2023. An 0-4 start to the season would have anyone worried that they just didn't have it this year (shoutout to your commissioner), but since that Week 4 loss to redwing, Triple has been nearly untouchable, and ultimately found himself the 2nd-top scorer on the season despite his brutal beginning. Entering the playoffs as the hottest team in the league with a 5-game winning streak and only just behind Sleepy in total score, Triple's confidence should be sky-high. If Dak and CeeDee can keep it going and Triple can get just enough help from bit players like DJ Moore and Najee Harris, there's no reason to think that our 2021 3rd place team couldn't make another deep playoff run. Rooting for you both, good sirs.

#4 @deacon14 vs. #5 @WakeForest Fan
The one true coinflip of Round 1 finds rookie sensation D14 up against defending co-champion WFF and his Fighting Cocks. D14 had our third-straight solid rookie season after recent entrants Triple and mako also were playoff-bound in Year 1, and a lackluster division surrounding him allowed D14 to take a division title and top-4 seed. A solid early season was followed by a slight dip in form, but the back half of the season saw D14 really find his feet and reel off 6 wins in 7 games that got him the Davis Division by 4 full games. But in a bracket as close as this is, small margins mean everything and D14's team has not had the weekly scoring consistency that others in the playoffs have had. D14 will need the absolute best out of all of his players to beat WFF, but it will surely not be a comfortable weekend in D14's house.

WFF can feel slightly hard done by with his 5th seed. An incredibly strong season throughout the year is emphasized by his 8 wins in his last 9 games (his only blemish? Yours truly. How? No fucking clue) and his only misfortune is two outlier weeks of less than 35 points and a loss by 0.06 points to Sleepy in Week 5. His team doesn't have the big names outside of Josh Allen that really signify overwhelming dominance, but each week WFF has found ways to get it done when it matters (except against me). While ESPN projections have a slight lean towards D14, I think that this is a truly 50/50 matchup. May the best man win, you two.

Once again I wish the best of luck to all the playoff teams, may your players stay healthy and scoring touchdowns!​

Back