• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another Deman/NCScout IP Glitch at DeaconSports!

Deman is the 60 year old man, and that's why he keeps fucking up.

There's a lot of stuff going on I disagree with. Thread deletions, locks, and running off people with dissenting opinions should not be happening. I, along with many others, had no idea Deman was a mod. These things were all brought up with the other mods on DS, and I think all were in agreement that all these actions were out of line.

Hopefully someone can vouch that I can be trusted when I say the following: As a Mod, I can go on and track IP Addresses. I can vouch for the fact that NCScout always, consistently, posts from one IP Address, located in one specific location. Deman always, consistently, posts from one of two IP Addresses (one being on campus). They have never posted from the same IP Address. Never. Ever.

It makes no sense to me why they didn't explain the mistake right away, other than that Deman may not have known, and Scout didn't really see a need. They should have. Why Scout still has Deman's name logged on to his computer, I don't know. But that is the only explanation that makes sense, for as I said earlier, even in the deleted posts, Scout has never posted under the same IP Address as Deman, and vice versa.

If you have legitimate censorship issues with DS, fine. Hopefully that is something that has been brought to their attention internally, and the problem will be fixed. I can promise you, however, that believing NCScout/Deman are posting from the same computer (or even the same location) is a false assumption.

I'm happy to answer any questions I'm able to about the issue.

It would be easy to forget if the excuses given for the mistakes weren't bullshit. Also, if we weren't being misled by a moderator masquerading as NCScout.

Don't for one second think that just because the moderators on this board are talking about this, that it wouldn't happen regardless of the schism between the two boards.

This is a pretty big deal.

I'm not saying we aren't sad about losing people who would be scared away by this, but if they can't see their nose in front of their face and think there is no wrong doing being done here, well I don't know what to tell you.

Do you have DS premium? And I am not trying to put you on the spot any more than necessary. If you do, then I believe reading the posts of NCScout would show that first, there is almost no chance that he and Deman are the same person. Second, even if they are the same person (or even if Deman was using NCScout's handle to post information) the information posted is just one person's opinion of how good or bad North Carolina HS basketball players are.

Scout has never said anything about whether Wake will obtain a commitment from a recruit. He hasn't posted any sort of inside information about Wake's basketball program, or about the athletic department. He has said he thinks the staff is working hard on the recruiting trail, and that Coach [Redacted] will be successful (something I disagree with, by the way). And he said that a recruit told him the negativity on the board had an impact on his views of Wake Forest (again, I don't think the board negativity has anywhere near as much impact as 8-24, 1-15 does). So even if this supposed conspiracy is true, who cares?

And again, I really don't want to sound rude at all, so please don't take it as such. But if you don't have premium, then why would you have any opinion about it at all?

Do you have DS premium? And I am not trying to put you on the spot any more than necessary. If you do, then I believe reading the posts of NCScout would show that first, there is almost no chance that he and Deman are the same person. Second, even if they are the same person (or even if Deman was using NCScout's handle to post information) the information posted is just one person's opinion of how good or bad North Carolina HS basketball players are.

Scout has never said anything about whether Wake will obtain a commitment from a recruit. He hasn't posted any sort of inside information about Wake's basketball program, or about the athletic department. He has said he thinks the staff is working hard on the recruiting trail, and that Coach [Redacted] will be successful (something I disagree with, by the way). And he said that a recruit told him the negativity on the board had an impact on his views of Wake Forest (again, I don't think the board negativity has anywhere near as much impact as 8-24, 1-15 does). So even if this supposed conspiracy is true, who cares?

And again, I really don't want to sound rude at all, so please don't take it as such. But if you don't have premium, then why would you have any opinion about it at all?

I don't think you are sounding rude, it's a legitimate opinion. I have access to a premium account. I care and am concerned about the misleading actions take by a person in a place of power.

Not posting from same IP or computer.

Both logging in as same user.

It does seem plausible that this is a simple mix-up that is occurring because one of them (or both) isn't very computer literate. But why do they have to be so shady about it? Why can't they be honest about it right from the start instead of waiting for a shitstorm to erupt before they start making comments?

I am a premium subscriber FWIW.

Deman absolutely melting down in the chats the week of the [Redacted] hire is one my fondest memories of DS.

Haha when I saw this thread title this morning my thought was "really? worst april fools joke ever."

Then I realized it wasn't a joke. Which makes it funnier than any april fools joke could have been.

It wasn't enjoyable for me- it was brought about because we hired Coach [Redacted]. I had my shorts in a twist as well.

There's a lot of stuff going on I disagree with. Thread deletions, locks, and running off people with dissenting opinions should not be happening. I, along with many others, had no idea Deman was a mod. These things were all brought up with the other mods on DS, and I think all were in agreement that all these actions were out of line.

Hopefully someone can vouch that I can be trusted when I say the following: As a Mod, I can go on and track IP Addresses. I can vouch for the fact that NCScout always, consistently, posts from one IP Address, located in one specific location. Deman always, consistently, posts from one of two IP Addresses (one being on campus). They have never posted from the same IP Address. Never. Ever.

It makes no sense to me why they didn't explain the mistake right away, other than that Deman may not have known, and Scout didn't really see a need. They should have. Why Scout still has Deman's name logged on to his computer, I don't know. But that is the only explanation that makes sense, for as I said earlier, even in the deleted posts, Scout has never posted under the same IP Address as Deman, and vice versa.

If you have legitimate censorship issues with DS, fine. Hopefully that is something that has been brought to their attention internally, and the problem will be fixed. I can promise you, however, that believing NCScout/Deman are posting from the same computer (or even the same location) is a false assumption.

My guess: isn't against the TOS to give your premium login info to a non-premium user? Thus, Deman would have violated the TOS. Why would Scout keep the login? He wants to be able to see the premium info on the site. It allows him to see what info that he provides is actually used, to see who else is beating him to recruiting news, and to keep tabs on any recruits outside of his area but that might play a tourney in the area or something.

I highly doubt they are the same person or that scout meant to post as Deman. I fully believe that Deman gave him his login info so he could check premium stuff anytime he wanted to. Is it a big deal? Kind of. If TW gave me his premium login and got caught doing so, I'm sure he would be banned for a bit.

Any chance this was all an April Fool's joke?

Even if it's not, this is what they should claim.

I have no idea what the truth is. But I personally find the sanctimonious, "trust me, I'm on the Internet!" defense laughable. Spell this process out for me, logically. Don't ask me to go on the word of some e-stranger who has a business interest in making people believe them. Don't play the "Wake Forest used to be above this" card. Because it didn't.

Sig, I hear you on this. We, as a mod group, decided to stop with any references to DS. It was time to move on from the split. But if posters want to discuss what's going on over there over here, we're going to facilitate it, because the likelihood of it getting locked over there is pretty high. Further, some DS loyalists seem to be blaming this board for their fuck-up. So, as always, I think the best way to discuss just what the heck is going on is out in the open, for free, and not behind curtains and PMs and whisper campaigns. Let the marketplace of ideas and voices filter out the truths from the lies and mistruths.

Just my 2 cents. Don't spend it all at once.

My guess: isn't against the TOS to give your premium login info to a non-premium user? Thus, Deman would have violated the TOS. Why would Scout keep the login? He wants to be able to see the premium info on the site. It allows him to see what info that he provides is actually used, to see who else is beating him to recruiting news, and to keep tabs on any recruits outside of his area but that might play a tourney in the area or something.

I highly doubt they are the same person or that scout meant to post as Deman. I fully believe that Deman gave him his login info so he could check premium stuff anytime he wanted to. Is it a big deal? Kind of. If TW gave me his premium login and got caught doing so, I'm sure he would be banned for a bit.

Looks like Deman is banning himself for a stretch. I think that's a valid self-punishment for a mod who committed a TOS violation.

Hopefully I have the issue correct here, but isn't it the explanation that NCScout had Deman's login info in his cache, so he accidentally posted under Deman's name? Then he deleted the post and posted under his own name?

If that's the explanation, then wouldn't your statement about them never posting from the same IP address refute their explanation?

this is definitely the most logical explanation.

I agree with SIG (what happened to the all caps name on this board?) that it's not a huge deal and it's a little silly to be harping on it this much. Even over on the other board, it's mostly the regulars here (Nonny, TW, others) who are pushing the thread about it. Just let Scout sink and enjoy the board we have here.

Why would Scout need the Premium login information? Since he's an "insider" doesn't he already get free access?

Or are we trying to say that the Deman login information is more powerful than a normal subscribers? i.e. allows the user to read other premium info from other schools.

I always thought NCScout was just like imabehere or some of the other players' parents. Gets free access to the premium stuff so he can give us his info.

Back