• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Head Coach Candidates

Pat Kelsey.

Although, Rick Barnes would be Wellman's ideal hire on paper. Older coach with major conference experience. And, he has a final four, 3 elite eights, and has made the NCAAs every year at Texas (vs one NCAA loss). Frankly, given our current situation I wouldn't mind Barnes at all. I doubt we could attract a big name rising star and he would certainly improve recruiting a great deal. At least we would probably become an NCAA team again, even if we flamed out every year. It would complete the Wake Forest Circle of Basketball for us to return to our old ways.

Then, after he returned us to at least some semblance of decency, we hire the next rising mid-major star when he retires in a few years and go from there. Funny how Bz was billed as a band-aid. Barnes would be a tourniquet

Last edited:
Pat Kelsey.

Although, Rick Barnes would be Wellman's ideal hire on paper. Older coach with major conference experience. And, he has a final four as opposed to one NCAA loss. Frankly, given our current situation I wouldn't mind Barnes. I doubt we could attract a hot name and he would certainly improve recruiting a great deal. At least we would become an NCAA team again, even if we flamed out every year. It would complete the Wake Forest Circle of Basketball for us to return to our old ways.

Then, after he returned us to at least some semblance of decency, we hire the next rising mid-major star and go from there.

I heard Pat Kelsey speak at Dave Telep's Carolina Challenge in March. The guy is full of energy. The kids loved him and I was ready to run through a wall for that guy. He is the type of fighter and salesman we'd be looking for.

Yeah, that Lehigh dude seemed like Wellman's kind of guy. That said, I think folks need to understand Wellman's track record, which is that he is absolutely going to go for what he perceives to be the least risky possible hire. No hotshot assistants. No up-and-coming coaches with small career sample sizes.

this makes me sad. also, wellman out.

Brett Reed seems like an ideal candidate on paper

Brett Reed seems like an ideal candidate on paper

You mean Dr. Brett Reed? Like Dr. John Giannini, another PhD, who Wellman supposedly favored before hiring Skip? Interesting. . .

Can't we convince Scott Drew that Baylor is a shitty school in a shitty town in a shitty conference? He already recruits the hell out of NC. His $1.7M/yr contract is legit though.

Hell, any of the Drew's would work for me. I want someone young and exciting.

Last edited:
We need Rick Barnes like we need a Bzz contract extension.

I agree. We do not need a Rick Barnes. That would be going back to the Dino reruit and roll the ball on the court type of mentality. I still believe that Dino was primarily fired (along with personality issues) because it became painfully obvious that he did not know how, or really even make it a priority, to implement a system. The late season collapses on a national stage when other teams were getting better, was a flat out embarrassment. Gotlieb, Vitale, et al., do not seem to remember this, they only see his overall record. Barnes is Dino on steroids. Would we take it over what we have right now? You bet. But that is beside the point.

You mean Dr. Brett Reed? Like Dr. John Giannini, another PhD, who Wellman supposedly favored before hiring Skip? Interesting. . .

I mean a guy with 4 years of head coaching experience and significant success. A guy only 40 years old who clearly places value on coaching at a place with academic distinction. A guy who went to the 3rd Rd of the NCAAT last year and has recruited exceptionally well at a place like Lehigh.

I mean a guy with 4 years of head coaching experience and significant success. A guy only 40 years old who clearly places value on coaching at a place with academic distinction. A guy who went to the 3rd Rd of the NCAAT last year and has recruited exceptionally well at a place like Lehigh.

I'm definitely with you. He sounds like a young coach that Wellman would actually consider and who would fit Wake perfectly.

Can't we convince Scott Drew that Baylor is a shitty school in a shitty town in a shitty conference? He already recruits the hell out of NC. His $1.7M/yr contract is legit though.

Hell, any of the Drew's would work for me. I want someone young and exciting.

Couldn't agree with you more, but Baylor's pumped a ton of money into their basketball program and their last few recruiting classes have been outstanding. Drew's got a great thing going in Waco.

Before I was made familiar with Jeff [Redacted], Giannini is the worst coach that I've ever seen. He's an outstanding recruiter for that level, but he recruits the bottom of the top, literally every guy with character and academic red flags that he can get his hands on. I'm starting to believe that Wellman has 0 knowledge of what it takes to be a good coach and that he got extremely lucky that he was able to land Skip.

I want [Redacted] out as much as the next person, but let's be real:

Brett Read won one game in the NCAA Tournament, in what we can all agree was somewhat of a fluke of an upset against Duke. He got extremely lucky that CJ McCullough grew 4 inches, filled out, and turned into a dynamite shot creator. His recruiting outside of McCullough is [Redacted] level... I'm not convinced.

If it came down between Reed and [Redacted], I'd take Reed in a second, but that strikes me as a false choice.

Couldn't agree with you more, but Baylor's pumped a ton of money into their basketball program and their last few recruiting classes have been outstanding. Drew's got a great thing going in Waco.

No doubt he has a great thing going, but Wake (13-18) averaged more fans per game last year (8,675) than Baylor (30-8, Elite 8) did (7,914). Their stadium only fits 10,000 people. He'll upgrade eventually.

I want [Redacted] out as much as the next person, but let's be real:

Brett Read won one game in the NCAA Tournament, in what we can all agree was somewhat of a fluke of an upset against Duke. He got extremely lucky that CJ McCullough grew 4 inches, filled out, and turned into a dynamite shot creator. His recruiting outside of McCullough is [Redacted] level... I'm not convinced.

If it came down between Reed and [Redacted], I'd take Reed in a second, but that strikes me as a false choice.

Guy has won 2 Patriot League tournament championships and a regular season championship in the last 3 years. And he is recruiting to LEHIGH, which is pretty much incomparable against a place like WFU.

And quite honestly, who is a realistic candidate at this point? Its not Stevens, its not Smart.

Scott Drew would have been a good option when we hired Bz, but Baylor is rising and we've fall off a cliff since then. Plus he's probably too shady of a recruiter for Wellman's liking.

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but Tim Fuller strikes me as an obvious candidate.

Mizzou's Associate Head Coach, thick WF ties, only 34, players love him.

Guy has won 2 Patriot League tournament championships and a regular season championship in the last 3 years. And he is recruiting to LEHIGH, which is pretty much incomparable against a place like WFU.

And quite honestly, who is a realistic candidate at this point? Its not Stevens, its not Smart.

Yeah, it's the Patriot League... Jeff [Redacted] looked awesome at Air Force and that was, at the time, considered to be a mid- not a low-major.

We can do better. I'm not saying that we will, but we can.

And, it's a message board: why not aim a bit higher? Outside of some of the crazies, I'm not sure anybody thinks we can get Smart or Stevens at this point. I do like a few of the mid-major veterans (i.e. Gregg Marshall, Greg McDermott). But, I think we're better off taking a high profile associate head coach (i.e. Tim Fuller at Mizzou, Jeff Boals at tO$U, or Matthew Graves at Butler).

Not sure if he's been mentioned yet, but Tim Fuller strikes me as an obvious candidate.

Mizzou's Associate Head Coach, thick WF ties, only 34, players love him.

Yep. You beat me to it, but he'd be an outstanding hire. For the reasons that you mentioned and he's an excellent recruiter.

Back