• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k19 - Charles Coleman de-commits to Wake. :(

Massoud is a solid pickup. I posted on the football recruiting board that his brother is a 4 star dual threat QB in the 2020 class. We should try and get them both because his little brother is a really good QB.

If somehow Hoard returns next year, we could potentially play Hoard, Massoud, and Mucius at the same time. Three 6'8 wings would be fun to watch.

I really like Ish II. Good piece to the puzzle...always like the combination of length and shooting. His form is almost identical to how I used to shoot it, and I would advise him (from experience) to quicken his release point a bit so that he is shooting at the apex, and not after the apex. It is not a really difficult adjustment, and if/once he completes the adjustment, his range will expand 4-6 feet almost immediately. He has a nice feel for scoring though, and that is hard to teach. If we sign him up today (which is looking more likely), he will be an excellent player for us at some point. His frame might need a little developing, but guys like him usually see some time just because they can guard multiple spots.

Last edited:
In addition to liking having a 6'8 shooter, his court vision, passing and handles make him an intriguing player. Five years ago, I said I didn't believe there were over 100 or even 50 players better than JC. The skill set that Massoud has shown on his videos make me think the same thing about him.

Five years ago, I said I didn't believe there were over 100 or even 50 players better than JC. The skill set that Massoud has shown on his videos make me think the same thing about him.

It's amazing that you aren't earning a living as a recruiting analyst. You can deduce more from a few YouTube highlight videos from the comfort of your own home than the guys who travel around the country watching games and talking to players and coaches. I, for one, am just thankful that we get all of this information for free as Deacon fans!

To demonstrate how little insider recruiting knowledge we have on this thread, take the case of Ismael Massoud. Several months would pass during his recruitment where no information was available, and six weeks before his (assumed, today) committment nobody had any indication that he was interested in Wake at all.

First mention on the boards: 4/29/17

Followed by a few people complimenting his choice of mix tape music.

Second mention is from 6/4/2017, from Strickland who saw some prospects at Pangos but didn't get a chance to see Massoud:

I saw a few Wake prospects at Pangos this weekend:

(I didn't have a chance to see Ayo Dosunmu, Cole Anthony, Elias King, Ismael Massoud, and Will Richardson.)

Ranger watched him play on 7/23/17, along with Musius and Anthony. All follow-up discussion was regarding Mucius.

Wake's main interest in a visit from 9/9/17 is Massoud:

Next mention of Massoud is nearly six months later on 2/19/2018:

I think it was bigboy, but he never specified who our top targets are. Could just be Harris and Moore. McGowens looks like either State or Clemson. Nickelberry, Omar Payne, Christian Brown maybe. There are still plenty of other guys were targeting so we’ll see.

Justin Moore, Tyrese Samuel, Tre Mitchell, Deuce Dean, Ajak, Massoud. Plenty of other prospects to bring in a good class.

CharlotteDeac still pushing Massoud on 2/27/18:

I'm personally keeping an eye on Tre Mitchell, Ismael Massoud, Justin Moore, Deuce Dean, and Omar Payne (Omar Payne probably ends up elsewhere). Nickleberry is a possibility but I am expecting he ends up at NC State. Would be very shocked to see Wendell Moore come to Wake, but would not be shocked to see us make his final 4-5 and get an official.

Three months pass and someone wonders what happened to Massoud:

There are a number of names we were in the conversation for at some point, but I haven't heard much about most of them in awhile. Anyone know where we stand with guys like Omar Payne (#49), Tyrese Samuel (#84), and Ismael Massoud (#86)?

Next mention of Massoud is nearly two months later with the updated Rivals rankings on 7/3/18:

Rivals updated their 2019 rankings today. Of note pertaining to Wake Forest:

Ismael Massoud is up 1 spot to #89 overall.

Out of nowhere we make the final five for Massoud on 8/18/18, with Rutgers the assumed leader:

Wake makes the Final 5 for Ismael Massoud and gets an OV scheduled. Think local Rutgers is the team to beat here

Some minor discussion of his offer list ensues. While shitting on our recruiting on 8/21/18, neflix says:

Massoud is going to Rutgers, and he is not as new of a name as some people around here might think.

Nearly a month passes with no meaningful mentions until 9/18/18, when Slater gives Wake a crystal ball and his visit is confirmed:

Slater just gave Wake a crystal ball for Ismael Massoud.

Thanks for putting that together Waldo. Yeah, it was nothing but doom and gloom on this thread with predictions we weren't going to get anyone decent. Now it looks like we're getting a solid 4-star guy. When you look back on his offer list, Wake was one of the first to offer at the same time as Rutgers and Xavier in 2017. In the Spring of 2018, other programs offered, including FSU and Ga Tech. Meanwhile, no one here was really even talking about Massoud as an option.

This would be great. Agree with the sentiments on the music choice in the video, love the outdoor clips too but I'm especially psyched that he looks to have a great shot but will look to drive to the hoop, dish or shoot in the videos. That's fantastic for a SF.

This would be great. Agree with the sentiments on the music choice in the video, love the outdoor clips too but I'm especially psyched that he looks to have a great shot but will look to drive to the hoop, dish or shoot in the videos. That's fantastic for a SF.

It is literally the best music choice to a highlight video I have EVER heard. I want to believe he chose it himself. I want to badly.

IT is Hit or Miss by Odetta btw.

Last edited:
Hooray!! Some potential good news...come on down Ish!! Hat tip to Ike M. for being such a gracious host and I'm sure he had much to do with his picking Wake as anyone. Get ready for the Ike & Ish show in a couple years. Gonna be biblical in its epic-ness!!

Sorry, had to go there.

ETA: welp, didn't realize his name was Ismael, not Ishmael...oh well. Either way, looks like Wake BB will soon seem very biblical as Isaiah and Ismael shall lead us in "Mass(oud)" as we fend off "Hoards" of hostile opponents in the Cathedral of Deacon-led Worship that will "Chill(dress)" you to the core. Hopefully we won't be plagued by injuries and bad luck as the new era of Wake BB "Chaun(s)" on the congregation of Deacon faithful. Oh man. I need help.

Last edited:
Michigan State just got a commitment for an All-American name, #27 recruit, PG Rocket Watts. :)

At some point we are going to need a true PG to commit. Even if Jamie Lewis is an ACC level guard by next season, we'll still need another true PG.

Would be awesome to pull in Anthony Harris and a big man to round out this class.

It's official and I am excited.

Great start to the class... Seemingly prevents it from being a complete disaster. Hopefully we can pull in a couple of additional players inside the Top 150.

Very nice pickup! Let’s hope we can ride the momentum to a point guard and big man.

I won’t be able to change the thread title until I’m back at a computer. Mods, feel free to do so in the meantime.

Back