• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Part of North Carolina

What is the best part of North Carolina?

• Asheville

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Boone / Blowing Rock / Banner Elk

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Charlotte

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • OBX

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Research Triangle (Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill)

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Triad (Winston / GSO / High Point)

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Wilmington & Surrounding Beaches (Sunset Beach to Morehead City)

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Highlands

Votes: 3 4.7%

• Total voters
If I were thinking of relocating to western NC in the next few years as a cultured and outdoors-oriented ~40yo (oh my god), where might I look?

We are so incredibly spoiled with the quality and quantity of courses here. Wisconsin and Michigan match up in these terms, but you have limited seasons in both and we can play basically all year here with the odd snowstorm or frost delay being the only inconvenience.

I shudder when I see people talking about dropping a few hundred bucks to play a six hour round at borderline goat tracks in some states. For the same price here you can get out on Mid Pines, Pine Needles, etc.

I was out on the Mid Pines website today and noticed they’re raising their greens fees by $50 next year. Still a good deal though.

50:50? Coming from Seattle, I think I have an unrealistic ratio, haha. We just have both.

I live just outside Hendersonville in mills river. We love it. Ton of outdoor stuff to do. Easy access to a good/ growing airport, asheville, and Greenville sc. You can get your city stuff if that's your thing or your outdoorsy stuff in Brevard, dupot/pisgah. It's growing here. But still mostly pretty doable. Housing is not cheap.

yeah if you want real culture you need to be near asheville; if you're happy with small town stuff then that opens it up a lot

they say WNC will be one of the big growth areas due to climate change since currently we aren't super impacted by things. you get the occasional snow, the occasional heat wave (but it still always cools at night), minimal flooding unless you live by a river or creek, Henderson County had its first tornado since like 1979 this year but it didn't do anything.

I've lived in the Triangle and of course the Triad in the past, but as a retiree, any of the areas on this "best" list are of the "nice (in some cases great) places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there"; too much traffic. cost of living, population density, etc. . From my eastern NC home I can be in either Wilmington or Raleigh in an hour, OBX ferry in 2, Triad and Charlotte in 3, and the mountain regions in 4-5. "Down East" is not for everybody, but at this stage in my life it's a good fit for what I like and don't like to do.

We enjoyed camping near and visiting Brevard for many years. Seems like a it could be a good place to live if you like outdoors activities and are OK with a small town.

is brevard any good for living?

seems to be well-located
a lot of people I work with live out that way and seem to like it. for me it's a bit isolated if you want to go into Asheville or Greenville for bigger city things. Hendersonville or Mills River would be better suited for that. but you can't beat Brevard's access to outdoor activities between Dupont, Pisgah, and the BRP.

I went to camp for a number of years right outside Brevard and loved it.

If I were thinking of relocating to western NC in the next few years as a cultured and outdoors-oriented ~40yo (oh my god), where might I look?
Depends on what you mean by culture. Asheville would probably be your only option for a variety of fine dining and cultural offerings. However, there are several areas and pockets with good people that make great neighbors.

Highlands and Blowing Rock are the more posh destinations.

It’s the place where the people who service the tourist/rich retiree economy actually live because they can’t afford to live in the resort town?

Like Manns Harbor for Nags Head

Back