• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

You can parse the math any way you want, but the bottom line is that the GOR isn't going to stop any ACC school with the chance to do it from leaving for the SEC or B10. There might be a financial hit over the short term like there was for Maryland, but it will easily be made up over time. Two things are all but certain right now: ND isn't joining the ACC, and current full-time ACC members will be leaving. The only questions are which ones, where do they go, and when.

Is there a chance getting Kansas helps the ACC keep UNC or am being naive thinking that they ever give up SEC money?

You can parse the math any way you want, but the bottom line is that the GOR isn't going to stop any ACC school with the chance to do it from leaving for the SEC or B10. There might be a financial hit over the short term like there was for Maryland, but it will easily be made up over time. Two things are all but certain right now: ND isn't joining the ACC, and current full-time ACC members will be leaving. The only questions are which ones, where do they go, and when.

:tear:

Maybe the ACC should be proactive in its demise. Meet with the BIG and SEC and say "BIG, you can take the northern half, and the SEC can take the southern half. If you agree to these terms, all exit fees are waived."

And maybe the sec would take Wake as another smart school with vandy to add to all of their other crap schools....

....and Wake can play competitive football to boot! :thumbsup:

In these 20 team conferences, how will football scheduling work? You can’t play everyone else, even in 2 years! What’s the point of being in a conference at all, other than just to make sure that most weeks you’re playing a school with a big name?

Texas VS Florida or Michigan VS USC? Those work. Oklahoma at Kentucky? No thanks. UCLA at Indiana would be an okay basketball game but football would suck.

But if the goal is big names against each other every week, the ACC is done. UNC and Clempson and FSU and UVA aren’t going to stay and once they’re gone, we are the Big East.

This is all doomed to fail. Fine all of these so called "big" schools form 2 mega conferences. That means every year some of these teams, alumni and fan bases who are used to winning are going to finish 17th in their conference at 2 and 10. I don't care how much money is involved humans get over new things pretty quick and a lot of these big schools will get tired of losing. When you start having 15000 fans in 80000 seat stadiums you will see some of the bottom ten teams get tired of it and break away to form a smaller conference. Then we will be right back to where we were.

Last edited:
In these 20 team conferences, how will football scheduling work? You can’t play everyone else, even in 2 years! What’s the point of being in a conference at all, other than just to make sure that most weeks you’re playing a school with a big name?

Texas VS Florida or Michigan VS USC? Those work. Oklahoma at Kentucky? No thanks. UCLA at Indiana would be an okay basketball game but football would suck.

But if the goal is big names against each other every week, the ACC is done. UNC and Clempson and FSU and UVA aren’t going to stay and once they’re gone, we are the Big East.

I think everyone likely gets one rival, and then it just rotates somehow. It won't matter, because it's not about this. It's about TV inventory for the networks. It's just a matter of time before these mega conferences are kicking off on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Basically any night that doesn't have NFL games will have games from the Fox conference and the ESPN conference.

This is all doomed to fail. Fine all of these so called "big" schools form 2 mega conferences. That means every year some of these teams, alumni and fan bases who are used to winning are going to finish 17th in their conference at 2 and 10. I don't care how much money is involved humans get over new things pretty quick and a lot of these big schools will get tired of losing. When you start having 15000 fans in 80000 seat stadiums you will see some of the bottom ten teams get tired of it and break away to form a smaller conference. Then we will be right back to where we were.

As long as you can monetize playing games with everyone's cell phones, then it won't matter if the stadiums are empty. People will watch. Especially with gambling involved.

SayWake gets dropped which I don't think will happen. For one thing the NC legiature still controls the UNC system and I don't think they would let a NC school leave. So unc and state aren't going anywhere. But if Wake was no longer involved I wouldn't watch it. I couldn't care less. Most people don't care about things they don't have a vested interest in. You take out 80 division one schools and that's a lot if eyeballs you are losing. Who knows when the dust settles maybe the Saudis will start up a division for the 80 teams that get left out and pay out real money.

I'm afraid Wake might be left without a dance partner worth having when the dust settles.

It's fairly clear by how they paired us up for our pod, that we have no appeal to any of the big name schools. I am afraid this is the beginning of the end of Wake on a huge national level. But, we will see how things shake out.

From The Athletic:

"With the future Playoff format an unknown, and with the revenue disparity set to grow even more now, Notre Dame might likely be leaving serious money on the table by remaining independent. And the new-look Big Ten, with its L.A. additions, would allow Notre Dame the same opportunity to compete across the country that it has now.

The Irish currently house their non-football sports in the ACC, so much of the outside world believes that if they were to move to a conference full-time, it would be the ACC. But the belief among several ACC schools is that that conference is beyond saving — even if Notre Dame were to join for football — and that the only thing holding it together right now is a Grant of Rights through 2035-36, which essentially means that any exiting member would forfeit its media rights revenue until that time. Nevertheless, several ACC schools have been studying the Grant of Rights in the hopes of a legal workaround to minimize the cost of leaving should a lifeboat arrive from another conference."

I haven't seen the Grant of Rights language, but I wonder if it would prevent this scenario:

SEC offers membership to FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, NCState, Duke, UVA, and VaTech (or whatever combo sets your heart a-flutter). The TV revenue attributable to each new school is distributed to the current 16 members. Those current members agree to a new "membership fee" paid to the SEC in an amount that is roughly equivalent to the increased TV revenue amounts they are now getting as a result of expansion. The SEC establishes a support fund to help any new members with financial needs associated with their transition. This arrangement lasts for 15 years, or until all parties agree to terminate it. Thus, there is no TV revenue going to the 8 departing schools, so there's nothing for the ACC to collect under the Grant of Rights. SEC says to the ACC, "My offer is this... Nothing."

Obviously the remaining 7 ACC schools would pitch a fit (while they scramble looking for a new home), but if there's no ACC left, there's no one to enforce the Grant of Rights. From there, the shriveled corpse of the ACC could try to negotiate SOMETHING to avoid protracted litigation, but it would fall far short of 15 years of TV revenue for the 8 departing members and couldn't be enough to hold the conference together.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...big-12-with-realignment-just-getting-started/

As others have said this is all about eyeballs, nothing else really matters that much. Winning alot of games doesn't matter in the end. It is how many eyeballs you can bring to the TV screens.
The majority of the teams in the ACC don't have large enough fanbases to be attractive to the Super 2.
The main exceptions to this are Clemson, UNC, Miami and FSU and of course ND.

It feels like this could eventually settle into a situation where you have a Super 2, a Power 3-5 and a G 3-5. Each being run separately with different TV contracts and difference rules and different championships.

From The Athletic:

"With the future Playoff format an unknown, and with the revenue disparity set to grow even more now, Notre Dame might likely be leaving serious money on the table by remaining independent. And the new-look Big Ten, with its L.A. additions, would allow Notre Dame the same opportunity to compete across the country that it has now.

The Irish currently house their non-football sports in the ACC, so much of the outside world believes that if they were to move to a conference full-time, it would be the ACC. But the belief among several ACC schools is that that conference is beyond saving — even if Notre Dame were to join for football — and that the only thing holding it together right now is a Grant of Rights through 2035-36, which essentially means that any exiting member would forfeit its media rights revenue until that time. Nevertheless, several ACC schools have been studying the Grant of Rights in the hopes of a legal workaround to minimize the cost of leaving should a lifeboat arrive from another conference."

Spot on. The GOR might be enough to delay defections just because of the TV rights amounts at issue, but with each passing day the dollar variables shift in favor of leaving. It will happen sooner rather than later because UNC, FSU, Clemson, whoever will bet (correctly I think) that the short-term financial risk is less serious than the risk they'll be left standing when the music stops.

New ACC. UConn, BC, UVA, Wake, Duke, unc, State, GT, Vandy.. ND football independent, ACC all other sports. Play everyone every season in football and home and home in basketball. If the GOR blows up sign new mega deal with NBC.

Last edited:
https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/...what-means-for-pac-12-playoffs-college-sports

Alot of interesting thoughts in this article.
I would be very interested in a league that Forde suggests - even though I think it is very unlikely to happen.

"Of those four choices, I honestly wouldn’t be shocked to see Notre Dame choose the road less taken and de-emphasize athletics—especially if the Fighting Irish are ultimately joined by the likes of Stanford, California and some of the more academically minded ACC schools (Duke, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Wake Forest, North Carolina, Virginia). Those schools could form their own league, one grounded in more of a traditional college athletic mindset"

I understand this move is 100% about money and therefore driven by football, and that academics left the conversation a long time ago...

but imagine having a basketball schedule and having USC play at Maryland for a mid-week game. The only way it almost, kinda sorta works would be to have a mid-week game at Maryland, then a game 2-3 days later at Rutgers or somewhere close, while pretending to take online classes with a 3-hour time difference in between. What a charade.

Back