• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

I'm not so sure that it's to prevent them from changing conferences as it is to try and ensure that if another conference wants UNC they also have to take NC State. Seems like a way of making certain that NC State doesn't get left behind if UNC wants to jump ship.
So you're saying it's not meant to prevent UNCG, UNCA, WCU, ASU and ECU from forming an alliance? (sarcasm meter on).

So you're saying it's not meant to prevent UNCG, UNCA, WCU, ASU and ECU from forming an alliance? (sarcasm meter on).
It's just saying that higher authority would have to approve if any of those schools wanted to leave their current conferences.

Basically how VT strong-armed their way into the ACC.
Somewhat different in that UVA wasn't leaving the ACC. VaTech was looking for a (better) conference home. Virginia legislature strongly encouraged UVA to use its influence to get enough "yes" votes to get VaTech admitted to the ACC.

I'm not so sure that it's to prevent them from changing conferences as it is to try and ensure that if another conference wants UNC they also have to take NC State. Seems like a way of making certain that NC State doesn't get left behind if UNC wants to jump ship.
The Virginia plan.

I don't think this'll actually stop UNC and NCSU from winding up in different conferences, but it might be enough for UNC to get a larger share of the conference payouts right away.

I don't think this'll actually stop UNC and NCSU from winding up in different conferences, but it might be enough for UNC to get a larger share of the conference payouts right away.
It’s one of the better angles to play. Action of one school hurts three others. State benefits from league office, conference championships etc. I’m sure NC invested incentive dollars in some or all of that…taxpayers bet on the ACC. simply put, the net loss to the state is a multiple of what unc would pick up in another conference.

It’s one of the better angles to play. Action of one school hurts three others. State benefits from league office, conference championships etc. I’m sure NC invested incentive dollars in some or all of that…taxpayers bet on the ACC. simply put, the net loss to the state is a multiple of what unc would pick up in another conference.
This is something I haven’t thought about. The Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 are not putting their championship games/tourneys in Charlotte and Greensboro. Is that enough to move the needle?

The NC Legislature has not shown great concern about bringing in or keeping businesses in the state in the past, though they did back off HB2 eventually. Sports might be the one thing important enough to work for.

The NC Legislature has not shown great concern about bringing in or keeping businesses in the state in the past, though they did back off HB2 eventually. Sports might be the one thing important enough to work for.
Looks like the league got $15m for the office move. https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/m...te/ZOF5DUMYPNBYDLIE6DN76BURZ4/?outputType=amp

Would also look at deals done or offered to Honeywell, apple (north of $800m), Toyota etc. those are for jobs rather than sales tax revenue, but still…

Good article. Thanks for posting. Thankfully it is John Currie in the AD chair and NOT Wellman. If "oh heavens yes" were still the AD Wake Forest athletics would in a very bad place. Many thanks to John Currie for leading the charge. I did not attend Wake Forest because my grades wouldn't get me in but several of my family did attend WF. I love Wake Forest and WF athletics and attend games whenever I can. At Louisville football last year, Notre Dame this year. I'll be in WS this weekend for Syracuse and at the end of the month my wife and I will be at Notre Dame for basketball game. I have Wake Forest all over my truck. I fly the WF flag with my American flag at my house. And my family wears WF gear all the time.

All that to say thank you to John Currie for fighting the fight. I'm sure I'll be dropping more $$$ in the Deacon Shop on our way into town Saturday!!
Go Deacs!!

The phrase “self-dealing” was not in the initial complaint.

That allegation, which is raised repeatedly throughout the document, suggests that Swofford for years was acting in the best interests of his son, and his son’s employment with ACC television partner Raycom Sports, over the needs of the conference and its member schools.

The complaint contends that ACC schools have lost $82 million each year in revenue from their Tier II and Tier III media rights as a result of the conference’s sweetheart deal with Raycom, a regional sports network in Charlotte, N.C. (Tier II and Tier III rights typically refer to sporting events that are regional in interest, and not the types of marquee matchups desired by national networks.)

According to the new filing, Chad Swofford was director of business development at Raycom Sports in 2008 when the Southeastern Conference sold all of its media rights to ESPN, cutting Raycom out of the deal for the first time in over two decades. A Sports Business Journal article cited in the complaint stated that 20 Raycom employees were laid off as a result of the deal.

“Though just recently employed by Raycom Sports, Chad Swofford was spared in the employee cut,” the complaint states, noting that roughly 80 percent of the media outfit’s revenues were coming from the ACC at that time.

And when the conference’s media rights came up for bid on the open market in 2010, Florida State alleges, John Swofford made it clear to ESPN and FOX that Raycom needed to be involved in the package.

“When the smoke cleared, with the ACC members’ Tier II and Tier III media rights as barter, Swofford cajoled ESPN into entering into a separate ‘sublicensing arrangement’ with Raycom Sports under which ESPN sublicensed to Raycom Sports a package of content in exchange for which Raycom paid to ESPN a reported $50 million a year,” according to the complaint.

I agree with these takes.

5-10 years? Look at Mr. Optimist. The ESPN ACC deal ends in 2027.

I just meant that this super league will have some eyes at first and then it will all come crashing down. I agree with those comments. I only watch other FBS games because it’s the same level that we play. I won’t be watching if we’re playing at a different level just like I assume most other fans of the left out schools won’t be watching. There are far more people who are fans of non-SEC and Big 10 programs than fans of those programs.

Right. Many of us (not the Biffs, tigerswoods, or MichDeacs) will follow the remaining college football teams more closely than the "Super League." Wake is more likely to be ranked and competing in the new landscape than in the old landscape.

We have plenty of models of regional leagues combining to form one league or a leagues absorbing smaller leagues. I can't think of any US leagues that split off.

It's more likely that the leagues will grow to be more parallel to each other rather than one on top and the other on the bottom unless there is a relegation system.

I just meant that this super league will have some eyes at first and then it will all come crashing down. I agree with those comments. I only watch other FBS games because it’s the same level that we play. I won’t be watching if we’re playing at a different level just like I assume most other fans of the left out schools won’t be watching. There are far more people who are fans of non-SEC and Big 10 programs than fans of those programs.
The other conferences should jump all over this (but of course, they wont). The ACC, B12, BigEast, and Pac2? should form an advisory committee. They should add the independents and Ivies, just for clout. And if they really want to have power, add all the other smaller conferences that compete in bball and other sports, so that they have leverage over all sports but football.

Back