• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How to Shave like a GD man

Least important thread ever. Just shave everyday with whatever you have. It would be one thing if this was a monthly thing. It's a daily thing. Just use anything, no one will notice any difference if you use a Schick or a fancy razor, including yourself.

M1xdPW2.jpg

i wouldn't know, i shave like 6 times a year, dirty hippie that i am

2nd shave in and I'm still liking the safety razor. Using the beavertail brush with lather is a different sensation than using shaving cream out of a can. I used some after shave balm today and it feels like the irritation is less than before.

Almost a year in and I'm not regretting moving to a safety razor one bit. I'm still on my first sampler bag of blades, which will probably last me another couple years. I'm still using my first bar of lathering soap as well. I wish I'd made the switch much sooner.

Going through my grandfather's things last night and my grandmother thought I might like this. She was right. I'm looking into seeing if it is worth restoring, and possibly using. It apparently belonged to my great-grandfather.
0a0f59a470ca490980586e1dee5c01bb.jpg

77b4d8c5f2d72ab12eb8cf4d068068ba.jpg

Best I can tell, the company started in the late 1800s and went out of business in 1952. Going rate for refurbished blades on the web is around $50.

yikes.

because of the rust, I would think that the blade would have to be ground down to get a new surface suitable for sharpening to a razor edge. I would think that someone who knew what they were doing would be able to do that but I have no idea where you find such a person.

This would definitely be a full restore. Luckily the edge isnt moon shaped, so hopefully its salvageable.

This would definitely be a full restore. Luckily the edge isnt moon shaped, so hopefully its salvageable.

Check out r/wicked_edge. People post questions like that all the time & with much success.

that's definitely salvageable, but you'll need some patience and skill or a someone with that.

my buddy found a rusted old hatchet and hand-sharpened it back to a mirror finish.

What soap do you all use? I've been trying a few kinds and haven't settled in one that I really like.

I'm currently trying:
Proraso Green
Colonel Conks Amber(this came with my mug. It smells pretty awful)
Van Der Hagen
Shea Moisture Triple Butter(lather and cushion is awful , but I like the smell)

What soap do you all use? I've been trying a few kinds and haven't settled in one that I really like.

I'm currently trying:
Proraso Green
Van Der Hagen

Look into Maggard's soaps. They're raved about.

I'm currently trying:
Proraso Green
Van Der Hagen

I've been using this stuff recently and like it. And it's cheap and easy to find.

mens-shave-cream.jpg

Back