• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

J Harris Gets The Waiver

How many Division 1 teams would Wake Forest (or probably any other school) field without these type of athletes?

How many members of the football team would be at Wake Forest apart from football?

How many members of the Wake Forest student body would be at Wake Forest without theater?

Without music?
Without debate?
Without a good test score on one half of the SAT?

The reality is that very few college students are the "total package" at Wake Forest. People get admitted because they excel at certain skills. I don't understand your point, unless your point trying to devalue athletic skills relative to other skills.

How many members of the Wake Forest student body would be at Wake Forest without theater?

Without music?
Without debate?
Without a good test score on one half of the SAT?

The reality is that very few college students are the "total package" at Wake Forest. People get admitted because they excel at certain skills. I don't understand your point, unless your point trying to devalue athletic skills relative to other skills.

Are you suggesting that Academics is a skill?

Lol if you think athletic skill is as valuable as intelligence.

This is the definition of the logical fallacy known as a "stawman argument." You are attempting to refute a position taken by literally nobody. The valid point was made that prospective students are judged on a variety of skills. I knew girls who were at Wake only because of dance for instance. Notice no one said one skill was more valuable that the other you clown.

This is the definition of the logical fallacy known as a "stawman argument." You are attempting to refute a position taken by literally nobody. The valid point was made that prospective students are judged on a variety of skills. I knew girls who were at Wake only because of dance for instance. Notice no one said one skill was more valuable that the other you clown.

Admissions bends the rules a lot more for athletes than for dancers. We've admitted some athletes that were borderline retarded and had no redeeming qualities on an application other than their athletic prowess. Wake admits a variety of students for a variety of reasons but everyone, except athletes, meets a basic threshold for intelligence. Some athletes are bright but there are others who would never, ever step foot on campus if it weren't for sport unless it was to clean the bathrooms.

Admissions bends the rules a lot more for athletes than for dancers. We've admitted some athletes that were borderline retarded and had no redeeming qualities on an application other than their athletic prowess. Wake admits a variety of students for a variety of reasons but everyone, except athletes, meets a basic threshold for intelligence. Some athletes are bright but there are others who would never, ever step foot on campus if it weren't for sport unless it was to clean the bathrooms.

How long did it take for you to graduate? Not sure if you should be throwing stones.

Johnny Manziel is a jr in the classroom, and he takes all online classes. Why couldn't josh do something this easy. Oh yeah its wake forest

Seriously? Wow. That's crazy. I don't know how any school that is at least halfway serious about academics can compete with some of the big diploma mill football powerhouses. And no, I'm not saying you have to be a Rhodes Scholar to play football here, but I suspect there's a big difference in terms of what's academically required of athletes at Wake compared to somewhere like LSU.

College football is a product, like it or not, and a very good one at that. Also, the idea that cutting Josh Harris' football career short will somehow benefit him in the long run is one that I completely disagree with.

Assuming that part one of your premise is true, then Wake should productize athletics and create a separate School of Athletics to give us the best product. A degree from the School of Athletics would have less career value than a degree from other disciplines. It seems the friction point is at the intersection of pretending that some student athletes are athletes. Isn't there a precedent for this in the Vanderbilt/Peabody relationship of the 1970's? Then we could root for the athletic product without the distraction of student frailties which would be confined to the secondary institution.

As to your second point, I can't understand why another year of Josh Harris playing football benefits him if he is not conducting himself in a way that is building life lessons that will extend post graduation (or lack thereof).

Seriously? Wow. That's crazy. I don't know how any school that is at least halfway serious about academics can compete with some of the big diploma mill football powerhouses. And no, I'm not saying you have to be a Rhodes Scholar to play football here, but I suspect there's a big difference in terms of what's academically required of athletes at Wake compared to somewhere like LSU.

Students who take all online courses are increasingly common at large public schools.

I understand we're a group with discriminating tastes in academics, but it should be pointed out that online courses aren't necessarily any easier than face to face courses. They can be as easy or rigorous as the facilitator or content designer wants to make them.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that the online courses that are keeping Manziel, for example, eligible are the slightest bit rigorous, but lets not over generalize. I'd be shocked if Wake didn't offer some courses that were at least partially online.

Students who take all online courses are increasingly common at large public schools.

Yea, and in Manziel's case I've heard its also because he can't step foot on campus without being mobbed.

It reminds me of why Matt Barkley said he liked USC: Los Angeles had enough celebrities that he could put on a hat, go to the beach, and no one knew who he was. He basically said if he had gone somewhere like Notre Dame, the whole town would be up his ass all the time.

I understand we're a group with discriminating tastes in academics, but it should be pointed out that online courses aren't necessarily any easier than face to face courses. They can be as easy or rigorous as the facilitator or content designer wants to make them.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that the online courses that are keeping Manziel, for example, eligible are the slightest bit rigorous, but lets not over generalize. I'd be shocked if Wake didn't offer some courses that were at least partially online.

Students got an email last November telling us that Wake was going to start offering online courses through "Semester Online." No idea what it is really like but the official release said that the other schools involved in the program are Brandeis University, Duke, Emory, Northwestern, UNC, Notre Dame, University of Rochester, Vanderbilt, and Washington University in St. Louis. I guess you can separate online courses into tiers too. Unfortunately, the program won't be ready until the fall. http://news.wfu.edu/2012/11/15/wake-forest-introduces-semester-online/

The part of me that's a sucker and hoped this was going to be "the year" for Josh Harris to finally reach his potential is saddened by this news.

The realistic part of me is just glad to get the Harris disappointment out of the way early before it costs us games. Martin is a badass in the making anyway - hopefully he'll react well to his new role.

The bad thing about this approach is our terrible lack of depth at this position. I think Martin will be a stud, but with the way he runs the ball he is asking to get hurt. Orville cannot produce back there, Wilhite more than likely isn't ready and hasn't played since a torn ACL and the same goes for our incoming freshman rb. Gibson hasn't played rb for a while and before this spring wasn't practicing to play it. We are remarkably thin at all skill positions except qb now. If we cannot get some wr and rb's this year we need new coaches recruiting.

Josh Hunt, Andre Wiggins, Nick Knott, and Now Josh Harris. All knotheads and not a good fit for Wake academically. I think Coach Jackson will do a good job recruiting Texas but also get kids that handle the academics at Wake.

My understand is that Josh Hunt is still at Wake and suppose to be back, but I am not sure. I know he was at Wake still last season.

The bad thing about this approach is our terrible lack of depth at this position. I think Martin will be a stud, but with the way he runs the ball he is asking to get hurt. Orville cannot produce back there, Wilhite more than likely isn't ready and hasn't played since a torn ACL and the same goes for our incoming freshman rb. Gibson hasn't played rb for a while and before this spring wasn't practicing to play it. We are remarkably thin at all skill positions except qb now. If we cannot get some wr and rb's this year we need new coaches recruiting.
We won in '06 without a great RB because we had a great OL. My faith in this staff to coach up the offense has evaporated. Josh would have helped ,but he wasn't going to save us. I plan on making it to 3 games this year, but I'm not saving any vacation days for Bowl season.

Back