• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Just watched Tyler Lewis

Yes. I think we would have been better last year than we were under Bzz. We would also only be paying one coach, rather than two, and wouldn't look silly for having fired a coach shortly after giving him an extension. After last season, we could have fired Dino with plenty of reason (rather than the made up reasons we got two seasons ago) and looked much better to potential hires. As it stands now, we'll have to get rid of Bzz shortly, and other coaches are going to wonder whether it's a job worth taking.

In short, yes, I think we would have been much better off if we had kept Dino around for another year. Better results, more money in the bank, and a better looking job to potential hires than we'll have when we do get rid of Bzzz.

And, even if Dino had had just as bad of a season as Bzz did last year, a hire after last season of most anyone other than Bzz (i.e. someone who would spark excitement) would have prevented the huge drop-off in giving and attendance that we've seen this year. Waiting a year to make a better hire would have given the entire fanbase a positive outlook after last year's bad season rather than a "we've probably gotta endure 2-3 more years of this guy" outlook that a large portion of the fanbase currently has.

I'd take CMM over Tyler any day. Tyler has no chance to ever play in the NBA. CMM has almost no ceiling. No idea which player will be better in college though. All else being equal, I'll take the higher ceiling. They are both highly regarded, but we need scorers.

The idea that we could have gotten both is probably bull. Both want to be a starting point guard - no way they'd play in the same place. CMM knows he'll have to play point at the next level if he gets there.

Tyler Lewis was offered but would not have come here. I've known him and watched him play since the 8th grade. Don't blame Buzz for not getting Lewis. It would have never happened.

No. But I also don't think it's reasonable to sign a coach to a multi-year extension (after the Cleveland State fiasco), only to turn around and fire him within a matter of months (thus costing Wake what I think most reasonable people would assume was a considerable amount of money- though since Wake is a private school we'll probably never know just how much), and replacing him with a coach that had this record:
2007–08 Colorado 12–20 3–13 12th
2008–09 Colorado 9–22 1–15 12th
2009–10 Colorado 15–16 6–10 8th

Not only is it not reasonable, I think it's nuts and a grossly irresponsible waste of money. I know someone is going to chime in and say that the Dino contract extension was just for show and the buyout was peanuts- to which I say get real and start being reasonable.

Now you say it's "probable" that Wellman told Dino to "improve in the area of player discipline and it didn't happen." If these issues were out there and of such concern to Wellman, why sign Dino to the contract extension and then turn around and fire him? Do you think Wellman had been completely unaware of any issues before the contract extension? And if he was aware of some of these issues, was it responsible of him to sign Dino to that extension without first clearing them up and making sure the two of them were on the same page? Also, what do you think a reasonable person would assume the cost of the buyout was. One million? Two million? There must have been some truly serious "player discipline" issues to justify Wake paying out that kind of money.

BSF4Life - I think that Wellman has been a reasonably good AD at Wake - a whale of a lot better than Gene Hooks could ever dream of being - and I find it difficult to believe that all of a sudden he just went bonkers on the basketball program. Rather than assume that he was just nuts in what he did - something which would be pretty exceptional in his tenure as AD - why not look for the reasons that can't and probably will never be made entirely public. So, they have to be derived from between the lines. Wellman has done enough for Wake to be given the benefit of the doubt. It just doesn't make sense to think that all of a sudden he just went off in the deep end over the basketball coach. Now, he may have made a mistake in hiring Buzz, and we should know in a year or two. But it does not make sense to think that what he did was entirely, or even mostly, irrational. That's just venting, and truly irrational.

What really happened and what the future will be, are now mainly just speculations on everybody's part.

Tyler Lewis was offered but would not have come here. I've known him and watched him play since the 8th grade. Don't blame Buzz for not getting Lewis. It would have never happened.

Whoa - that is a different story. You better know that of which you speak 'cause that story provides no fodder whatsoever for blaming Buzz... Why do you say he would not have come here?

BSF4Life - I think that Wellman has been a reasonably good AD at Wake

I agree that Wellman has done a lot of good things for Wake. And I think there's a decent chance the Bz hire might still end up working out. :thumbsup:

I agree that Wellman has done a lot of good things for Wake. And I think there's a decent chance the Bz hire might still end up working out. :thumbsup:

Hey, it's worked out for Bzz. More money, gets to see his daughter, and only a couple hours drive from his vacation home on the NC coast rather than a few hour flight.

Hey, it's worked out for Bzz. More money, gets to see his daughter, and only a couple hours drive from his vacation home on the NC coast rather than a few hour flight.

Indeed. A WIN-WIN for everyone involved, except Colorado. Poor Colorado lost the coaching services of our dear Coach. I'm sure Bz won't forget to thank Colorado when he's hoisting the Wooden trophy though, so maybe WIN-WIN for everyone?

I did a little checking and this is not true at all. I think Tyler and Codi would have both come no problem.

I've talked to his dad and this is not true at all.

I'd have liked to have the kid, because I want good players from Winston to want to come to Wake. That doesn't mean he'd have been better than the point guard we got, or that he would have started, or that he would have stayed had he come and not started. It does almost guarantee, though, that his best game every year will be against us.

Good lord. Are we going to bash Bz for every recruit he missed on or maybe didn't offer, or offer in time--even though we have recruited someone else for the same position who everyone is very high on? He's bashed for not listening to his assistants regarding Lewis, but when he pulled the trigger on Chase (whom everyone seems to think has a lot of potential), it was totally the assistant's doing and Bz had nothing to do with it. Seems like the coin comes up tails every time for some folks here regarding Bz.

Since this whole debate is premature until we actually see Tyler or Codi on the court, it is the same buzz in/ buzz out horseshit. Just substitute in Obama or any other political topic and watch people find anything they can to bolster their argument that the other side isn't willing to consider.

I was totally excited about Tyler and was lead to believe by insiders he was ours for the taking. Dino dragged his feet for many months if not longer to offer so it wasn't like his talent was so clear cut. As mentioned before, his other D1 offers are pretty sparse and he isn't a can't miss prospect.
CMM appears to be our star in waiting so it's hard to call Bz a loser for bringing him here at this point even if he passed on a potentially very good point guard.
I also would trust the opinion of an objective guy who scouted an coached in the NBA for 20+ years over that of Rusty who had an emotional attachment to Tyler and his family. I actually prefer a head coach who has a strong image of what players will fit his system and image of his team.

Carry on.

I will be very interested to see his system when it is fully implemented. Apparently it doesn't require rebounding or a true pg. Sounds mind blowing.

I will be very interested to see his system when it is fully implemented. Apparently it doesn't require rebounding or a true pg. Sounds mind blowing.

I hear he disciplines kids who get a rebound. I'm sure that's what he's preaching at half time and why we're bringing in 5 players next year that are 6-6" or taller. Probably all the little guys he wanted were taken by State first.

if wake would have shown the love earlier and offered, i think he would have committed. dont think rusty was the staff member that was the problem either.

Back