• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Keyshawn Woods being honored for senior night

I think there's a big difference between kids that clearly aren't ready, transfer, and use the year off to get stronger/better and reach a level they wouldn't have otherwise and this situation. Cav is a great example, I think Shelton Mitchell is as well. Woods is just a straight "screw this I'm out" situation. If it's for money because our staff can pull some strings and get him paid in Europe, fine. But he's slated for 20+ minutes a game in the ACC next year for a team that will be very talented. It's not like there are dozens and dozens of guaranteed NCAA-bound programs looking to give huge minutes to a one-year rental who can hit shots but doesn't play much defense. If he goes to ride the bench on a tournament team or put up 20 a night for East Tennessee A&M it still speaks very poorly for the state of our coach/player relationships.

I don’t think it’s as rare as you think it is for contributors to leave because they don’t get along with the coach, other players, or simply want a bigger slice of the pie. It happens.

And yet again the board is hyperventilating over some nebulous, impossible to measure, concept like player/coach relations. I don’t give a shit if 20% of the guys Manning brings in end up hating him and leaving early. I care about what the 80% who stay do on the court.

I don’t really care if we win a championship copying UVA or with a bunch of undisciplined showboats that don’t give 100% effort on D or get along with their coach.

If Woods is leaving because he's unhappy or not getting along with Manning, I'm not sure why anyone would automatically presume that the issue is anything other than a problem between Woods and WFU or Woods and Manning.

That’s patronizing as shit. Everyone on this board knows we’re a million miles away from the tournament next year. I wouldn’t blame Key in the least if he hops of this dumpster fire and goes somewhere to win something. At the risk of fluffing donaldross he absolutely has a better chance of making the tourney at UNCG (for example) next year then he does at Wake.

Woods' joining the Spartans would cause the biggest meltdown here since [ ] was given a fourth year.

I don't see the big deal. Key is going graduate. He has options. He has chosen to consider them. He may simply want a basketball change. He probably has a lot of people in his ear right now or his family might. He may be looking for a different degree program not available at MSD. He may have professional opportunities overseas. He may decide coming back to Wake is his best option. He has given us 3 pretty good years and produced 1000 points. In his position, there is no reason not to look at your options. He may expect his minutes to contract next year and want to find somewhere he will start and play 30 minutes/game. I don't take him looking around as a knock on Wake--just more a recognition that he has options. Upperclass/graduate transfers have been a growing and significant change in CB world in the last few years. I expect more of it and for it to impact most programs.

He hasn't been one iota of trouble at Wake and is to be congratulated on time and with his entering class.

When a poster who doesn't realize he's a parody obliviously responds to an obvious parody...

FWIW, Les hinted on Twitter that he expects Key to play for money next year vs. transferring to another school.

He hasn't been one iota of trouble at Wake and is to be congratulated on time and with his entering class.

Well he and his dad have caused discord with your coach. He is discordant. I don't know why you can't see this. He is a causer of discord.

If he has reached his ceiling, he should leave early to play pro ball and get paid a year earlier. Unless he has true academic plans.

I don't see that on his Twitter.

I'd post it, but Twitter blocked at work and it was part of a bigger convo on the RW transfer. Les went back and forth w/ Volley So Dear about the number of transfers we've already had... They counted 3 and Les only had RW (SJM was not a transfer).

Les - "I'd be surprised if he plays college basketball anywhere else other than Wake, so I definitely wouldn't count that. (but maybe you have better info than I)"

When asked about the non-answer Key gave about staying, Les added - "I didn't say I thought he was coming back."

Back