• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Maryland Takes Ball and Goes Home...

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports
#Rutgers is getting the most play (along with Maryland) but multiple sources maintain #GeorgiaTech is also vying for a Big 10 spot.

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports
#Rutgers is getting the most play (along with Maryland) but multiple sources maintain #GeorgiaTech is also vying for a Big 10 spot.

This is a godsend for Rutgers. It is a MUCH more difficult decision for UMD.

Also, seems like Ermann is telling the base to move before your seat is taken. I am sure he has no dog in this fight.

This is a godsend for Rutgers. It is a MUCH more difficult decision for UMD.

Also, seems like Ermann is telling the base to move before your seat is taken. I am sure he has no dog in this fight.

The point of that Tweet was to show GTech might be in play too.

Can't all the conferences just merge into one already and force ESPN to pay $40 billion a year for the tv rights? And get this stupid shit over with?

For those that care or take note of these things,

MD is 1-35-1 vs. PSU all time in football. Presumably, this would be their major East Coast "rival" from the Big Ten.

I for one was stunned that Gary Williams took an opportunity like this to continue pushing his obsession with Maryland getting shafted by the "North Carolina biased" conference.

fuck Maryland, their ugly uniforms, shitty teams, and their asshole fans. They're the worst.

I remember when Ish sent them packing (in OT?) at the joel a few years back. Their fans had a meltdown that makes this place seem like a debutante ball. Leave, GTFO, you won't be missed.

223470580_YouMad_xlarge.jpeg

If there's ANY truth to, or possibility of, any of GT/UVA/UNC following to the Big Ten, you just have to get out if you're Maryland. The Jenga tower that is the ACC can afford only so many pieces to be pulled out before it collapses completely.

And before anyone shoots that down, just think that 5 days ago all of us would have said there's no fucking way Maryland goes to the Big Ten.

Well if Maryland really does leave I think the ACC basically needs to force Notre Dame's hand about becoming a new member on a timeline to stabilize the conference. If they aren't willing to do that the ACC could fall apart because Clemson and FSU will really want to jump to the Big XII. Then complete collapse is UVA/VT/UNC/State/Duke force each others hands and divide up between the Big Ten and SEC. This could be strategically happening because with a MD-GT addition the conference would be collapsing around the state of NC and Virginia.

If there's ANY truth to, or possibility of, any of GT/UVA/UNC following to the Big Ten, you just have to get out if you're Maryland. The Jenga tower that is the ACC can afford only so many pieces to be pulled out before it collapses completely.

And before anyone shoots that down, just think that 5 days ago all of us would have said there's no fucking way Maryland goes to the Big Ten.

I wouldn't have said that.

I don't believe the stuff about GT. They voted for the $50 million buyout. If they planned on jumping ship don't you think they would've voted against it.

The ACC is not going to collapse if MD leaves. I feel like the proponents of this move are spreading a lot of horseshit- coming up with these pie in the sky numbers about the amount of money MD is going to get and trying to paint this ridiculous picture that the ACC is about to collapse and MD better get out before that happens.

The ACC is not going to collapse if MD leaves.

Of course not. Md people in favor of the move are telling themselves they are jumping off of a sinking ship. In reality, the ship is not sinking. Or they are poking holes in a ship and yell its sinking before jumping off.

Of course not. Md people in favor of the move are telling themselves they are jumping off of a sinking ship. In reality, the ship is not sinking. Or they are poking holes in a ship and yell its sinking before jumping off.

Its not necessarily a sinking ship now. But there's a non-zero chance that FSU and Clemson leave and the ACC ceases to be viable. The Big 10 will always be viable. But at the end of the day, its mostly about money. Debbie Yow ruined the financial situation at Maryland to the point that literally the only way to balance the books now is to take the Big 10's offer. The athletic department's budget deficit is supposed to end up increasing to about $17 million within 5 years. The difference in TV revenue between the ACC and Big 10 last year was about $10 million and they get a renegotiation in 2015 which should push that difference up even higher.

So if I'm a Maryland fan, what is the Maryland Athletics Department going to do with the supposed extra money that makes it worthwhile to me to give up games with UVA, UNC, and Duke in exchange for games with Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue? Build a new indoor track? Outfit the women's tennis team with the best rackets? Why do I care about that? Am I just really, really hoping we throw $10m/year at Gruden?

So if I'm a Maryland fan, what is the Maryland Athletics Department going to do with the supposed extra money that makes it worthwhile to me to give up games with UVA, UNC, and Duke in exchange for games with Illinois, Minnesota, and Purdue? Build a new indoor track? Outfit the women's tennis team with the best rackets? Why do I care about that? Am I just really, really hoping we throw $10m/year at Gruden?

I mean, with a budget deficit as large as we're staring at, it isn't just small differences like that. Its the ability to keep sports and to prevent draconian cuts to the revenues. And we're giving up UVA, UNC, and Duke for Michigan, Ohio State, and PSU. The only logic that the ACC games are better is that there's history here, which does carry some weight, but lets not act like its a scheduling downgrade or anything.

Back