• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 20: Pitt Panthers @ The Petersen Events Center - Wednesday - 7 pm - ACCN

I agree, coaches will just need to be creative about how to deploy him. He almost certainly shouldn’t be shooting 3s based on what we have seen. Which is unfortunate because he took a huge step forward there earlier this year and it really elevated his game.
IIRC, as of a couple of weeks ago (pre-injury) he was leading the team in 3 pt shooting %. Pretty remarkable considering how mediocre his outside shooting was when he got to Wake.

I hate the term "must-win" because by definition, any game that isn't a tournament game isn't a "must-win".

That being said, tonight is very, very important for our season. We're running out of road games since we squandered FSU and State. I think we need at least 13 ACC wins to be seriously considered come Selection Sunday, so that means we need 2 more road wins if we go undefeated at home (which, as much as I like us at home, is still very statistically unlikely). Tech and ND are not bad at home, and then we've got Duke, UVA, and VPI left. Tonight goes a really long way in achieving our goals.

At some point we've just got to get it done. We have a really good team - time to show up and put up.

"Call it a day on tournament hopes" like some did after losing to Utah & LSU in Charleston?

Morning folks. Fresh batch of pregame material, including our BSD Preview and BOTG Pod. 2000 words on everything to know abt the Pitt game here.

As for the Pod, we dig into Pitt and Blake Hinson, as well as how critical this game is for Wake Forest...Why this win would be the most important for the Deacs' season. The team is seemingly at a crossroads. A win/loss can send the year down a path with a good/bad ending.

Plus, we rail against ACC perceptions (2-bid league), the SEC propaganda arm and national media narratives. Listen below.

Just a quick bump of this content for game day. Have our 2000-word preview over at BSD.

Then a fast-moving, informative 40-minute podcast on BOTG (available on Apple and Spotify).

If you're looking for a way to get prepped for Wake-Pitt, we've got you covered.

I hate the term "must-win" because by definition, any game that isn't a tournament game isn't a "must-win".

That being said, tonight is very, very important for our season. We're running out of road games since we squandered FSU and State. I think we need at least 13 ACC wins to be seriously considered come Selection Sunday, so that means we need 2 more road wins if we go undefeated at home (which, as much as I like us at home, is still very statistically unlikely). Tech and ND are not bad at home, and then we've got Duke, UVA, and VPI left. Tonight goes a really long way in achieving our goals.

At some point we've just got to get it done. We have a really good team - time to show up and put up.
Also to this point, something I covered in the preview. Have a similar vibe.Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 8.11.11 AM.png

Not out of the question that those losses keep us out tbh. Gotta win some road games to get back even in the conversation.

Gotta win games, period. Whether at home or on the road.

That's the entire point. Yes the Pitt game is important but there are still 11 important regular season games remaining win or lose tonight.

UNC shot 8-28 from 3 last night, 20-49 from 2 for an effective FG% of 47%.

We allowed them an eFG% over 60%

GaTech "allowed" them to shoot like 70%. UNC just refused to make about a dozen wide open 3's after they fell back into a zone and just dared them to shoot. And at one point they were shooting like 25% from the line. Bacot airballed a 3 footer and had Hubert barking at him all night. Benched him at one point.

Tech had a bench guy in Sturdivant come in and go 4/4 from deep. Sturdivant is in his 5th year at GaTech and has never made 4 threes in a game in his entire career.

Just a magical night of horrid UNC play plus some miraculous GaTech play, including banked-in threes and that prayer lefty spinner to win it. And they still needed a no-call on an obvious foul to win. Always a great chance when you get Duke or UNC at home the game before one of the Duke/UNC hype-fests.

Georgia Tech’s leading scorer and rebounder missed the final 35 mins after getting injured. Amazing they were able to pull it off without their leader.

My preference would be that we win tonight, and if we don't I will be upset. But I'll also still watch the Cuse game Saturday.

GaTech "allowed" them to shoot like 70%. UNC just refused to make about a dozen wide open 3's after they fell back into a zone and just dared them to shoot. And at one point they were shooting like 25% from the line. Bacot airballed a 3 footer and had Hubert barking at him all night. Benched him at one point.

Tech had a bench guy in Sturdivant come in and go 4/4 from deep. Sturdivant is in his 5th year at GaTech and has never made 4 threes in a game in his entire career.

Just a magical night of horrid UNC play plus some miraculous GaTech play, including banked-in threes and that prayer lefty spinner to win it. And they still needed a no-call on an obvious foul to win. Always a great chance when you get Duke or UNC at home the game before one of the Duke/UNC hype-fests.

no, in the real world GT allowed UNC to shoot under 50%

Opened WF -1. Pitt now -2. Total 143. Action is on the Panthers.

If I were betting against the Deacs tonight (I'm not), it would be due to the 9 day layoff... Teams coming back from a "bye" in the ACC this year have been no bueno.

Perhaps that's the angle?

Back