• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

No Labels third party ticket

I want the ChrisL’s and shoos of this country to dismiss the wasted concerns of Joe Manchin’s with just as much celebratory schadenfreude as they have for the Bernie’s and AOCs, instead of shrugging at their platform hi-jacking.

So what’s the flaw?

Provides answer

Not that flaw!

That’s a flaw of people, not a flaw of a party. There’s no good way to split people into parties.

Either way, centrists have been criticizing the left for being too ideologically diverse and not getting in line. So that’s something MDMH has in common with them.

Of course here’s where I point out that Democrats are far more united on issues than 10 years ago from being almost 100% pro-choice to embracing what used to be radical ideas like $15 minimum wage and ending the filibuster.

I also don’t think Dems are encouraging Manchin and Sinema. Manchin is a 75 year old conservative coal guy. He’s a political remnant, a fluke, the last of his kind. Sinema is a former popular leftist turned unpopular centrist. I don’t think they’re great examples of some failing of Senate Dems in 2023. The failure is that their votes are necessary.

That is what i see as the difference between a fundraising party and a political party. A political party involved in organizing absolutely should be able move people to an ideological position. That IS a flaw of the party.

That’s a flaw of people, not a flaw of a party. There’s no good way to split people into parties.

Either way, centrists have been criticizing the left for being too ideologically diverse and not getting in line. So that’s something MDMH has in common with them.

Of course here’s where I point out that Democrats are far more united on issues than 10 years ago from being almost 100% pro-choice to embracing what used to be radical ideas like $15 minimum wage and ending the filibuster.

I also don’t think Dems are encouraging Manchin and Sinema. Manchin is a 75 year old conservative coal guy. He’s a political remnant, a fluke, the last of his kind. Sinema is a former popular leftist turned unpopular centrist. I don’t think they’re great examples of some failing of Senate Dems in 2023. The failure is that their votes are necessary.
meh, you're moving the goalposts

the point is simply that despite ideological heterogeneity in the republican party, you never see public temper tantrums like the ones you see from reps like Sinema and Manchin

it's a sign of institutional failure that you see them from Democrats, who only seem to be able to punch left when it comes to any sort of acts of institutional aggression

That is what i see as the difference between a fundraising party and a political party. A political party involved in organizing absolutely should be able move people to an ideological position. That IS a flaw of the party.
Exactly.

So now you’re on board with persuasion?

When have i not been? I’m just not interested in persuading the ChrisLs. I’m also not interested in persuading people to a vote blue no matter who position.

I’m very excited to see what conservative Dems conveniently slide into Manchin and Sinema’s place as the DNC’s campaign promise killers.

The narrow margin makes buying a couple of senators to block bigger goals pretty easy. It gets harder to do that the bigger majority that you have. But you’re right if the margin stays fairly narrow, someone else will be bought off to block it.

When have i not been? I’m just not interested in persuading the ChrisLs. I’m also not interested in persuading people to a vote blue no matter who position.

Then who are you trying to persuade? What kind of coalition can you form to get to 50+% that doesn’t include some people who agree with you on some core issues but not every issue?

This is not the question. The question is “what are the core issues of the Democratic Party” and what are they doing to move people to those positions?

so you have no interest in winning national elections or control of either house.

Are they not the issues i mentioned above?

so you have no interest in winning national elections or control of either house.
if you have interest in winning national elections and control of either house, then you should persuade your fellow dem centrists to not run as third party spoilers

not sure that's MHBDemon's job on these here OGBoards

Like the Republican Party, I would rather try and win despite moderates, rather than because of them. I want to abandon and neglect moderates to the farthest extent possible, and I won’t be convinced by moderates of the necessity for moderates

Friendly reminder that most people don’t vote. I’m going to walk my dog or do something better for my mental health.

if you have interest in winning national elections and control of either house, then you should persuade your fellow dem centrists to not run as third party spoilers

not sure that's MHBDemon's job on these here OGBoards
is this your fantasy scenario where I align with Sinema and Manchin?

repetition compulsion
I know. I said this
But we could go round and round in circles about this forever, it’s a dead horse. The point is that the Democratic Party should , strategically, be trying it’s best to discourage any of its members from shifting right to fill the Manchin vacuum. We don’t want or need a Manchin replacement. We should want our right flank to be as powerless and non-threatening as the Republicans left flank.

Back