• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pitt Game Thread

And he was a disaster against dregs like ODU and GT. Majority of coaches wouldn’t have granted him that long of a leash after those shit shows for 5.5 games. But hey, he earned the job in spring camp, fall camp, practice or whatever.

Yeah, like I said, he got a very fair shot. Lots of starts and tons of practice reps as the starter. And if we as a fanbase could predict everything that he would do, everything the other team would do, and everything negative that would happen as a result, then the coaching staff should be able to see it also.

FSU will probably win easily, but this is not like playing one of the great Clemson teams with Watson/Lawrence. Their win over LSU was impressive, but they beat BC by 2, Clemson by 7, and Duke ran for nearly 6 YPC over them last week with barely any passing game. They are not unbeatable or without weaknesses. If we play inspired football - and we certainly have reason to - it can be close at the end, and then who knows. I mean, UVA just won in Chapel Hill as 23 point dogs.

To have a chance, I think we need Mustapha to play his A game. He had a rough game against Pitt. I'd love to see some early safety blitzes, because Travis will make mistakes.
Yeah I was going to post something along these lines.

We are such a trap game for FSU. Clearly they know this and they'll be talking all week about not overlooking Wake, but that's basically what every team says anyway. We played better defense against Clemson than they did, it took them OT to win that one. And Clemson should have 3 ACC losses honestly. Duke had FSU beat until Leonard went down.

Not expecting a win but they don't look like a truly elite team. And Duke without Leonard might be a coin flip. Who the hell knows at this point - just when you think the ACC starts making sense UVA beats UNC and Louisville loses to Pitt then we beat Pitt. Just all over the place this year.

FSU's last win over Wake was in 2018. Their QB was Deondre Francois. The leading rusher was Cam Akers. I don't think anyone on this FSU team has ever beaten Wake unless they're on the Hartman plan. So I doubt they're overlooking this game.

FSU's last win over Wake was in 2018. Their QB was Deondre Francois. The leading rusher was Cam Akers. I don't think anyone on this FSU team has ever beaten Wake unless they're on the Hartman plan. So I doubt they're overlooking this game.
To be fair, they have so many transfers that many of them have never played against Wake at all.

I was looking to see if there was any sliver of a chance that the Gophers could face Wake in a bowl game and I don't think it's very likely. The only bowl I see that is Big Ten/ACC is the Pinstripe Bowl. We played in that last year so there's no chance we'd go back this year.

I was looking to see if there was any sliver of a chance that the Gophers could face Wake in a bowl game and I don't think it's very likely. The only bowl I see that is Big Ten/ACC is the Pinstripe Bowl. We played in that last year so there's no chance we'd go back this year.

We have a TON of work to do before a bowl is close to discussion. Had we not shit the bed against GT, it would be quite possible. Now, it's going to take some breaks IMHO.

We have a TON of work to do before a bowl is close to discussion. Had we not shit the bed against GT, it would be quite possible. Now, it's going to take some breaks IMHO.
We just need to win 2 minimum. We won't beat OSU, but Illinois, Purdue, and MSU are very winnable. Wisconsin is 50/50. The Iowa win was huge for our bowl chances.
I say we get anywhere from 2-4 more wins for a final record of 6-6 to 8-4.

We just need to win 2 minimum. We won't beat OSU, but Illinois, Purdue, and MSU are very winnable. Wisconsin is 50/50. The Iowa win was huge for our bowl chances.
I say we get anywhere from 2-4 more wins for a final record of 6-6 to 8-4.
I wish we could play MSU and Purdue this year

I wish we could play MSU and Purdue this year
Yeah, I wish we could play in the Big "10" most years. Outside of Ohio State, Michigan and maybe Penn State, the rest of that conference is shit most years. There's actually only like 2 or 3 good games a year to watch unless you are a fan of one of the others. Have no idea how the TV contract is worth a billion

Yeah, I wish we could play in the Big "10" most years. Outside of Ohio State, Michigan and maybe Penn State, the rest of that conference is shit most years. There's actually only like 2 or 3 good games a year to watch unless you are a fan of one of the others. Have no idea how the TV contract is worth a billion
I don't think Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, and Maryland are "shit" most years. I would say most years they are very good teams. Just not up to the OSU/Michigan level. Last 3 seasons, (not counting the Covid year) the Gophers have had 9 wins twice and 11 wins once (finished 2019 #10 in the country). We have split with Penn State in the last 4 meetings.
NW, Indiana, Rutgers, and Nebraska have been bad for quite a while. Purdue is down this year with the new coach. Rutgers up a little.
This is Minnesota's worst team since 2018 (not counting the Covid year weirdness) and we will still probably have a winning record. Looking at the ACC standings I think the Gophers would be somewhere in the middle right now and this is a down year for us.

Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin play ball-control offense with really good defenses. It may seem bad from afar because of low scores, but that's the style they play and it works for them. Our defense is finally starting to come together (lost a lot of players from last year) so thus the poor showing at NW and UNC. Hopefully we have patched the holes for the rest of the year and will at least have a decent defense the rest of the way. We had the #4 defense in the country last year (Illinois #1 and Iowa #2). We also have a new QB this year that hasn't panned out as well as we hoped and that is really killing our offense.

Last edited:
Reasonable response, though if the Illini were #1, Iowa was #2 and Minn was #4 on D, doesn't it beg the question re how good that Big Ten division's O's are, the brilliance of Iowa's offensive coordinator notwithstanding?

Ok cool I'll just let you guys keep rolling in the vibes and swag I guess. That one throw that Marucci made is almost undoubtedly going to be the highlight of our season, so if you all want to keep rolling him out there solely based on one throw and the fact that our defense and Claiborne won us a game then I guess that's fine.

lol I'm certainly not one of those, but whatever troll away I guess

Just let the vibes flow through you and join the MOOCH DONK GANG

FSU will probably win easily, but this is not like playing one of the great Clemson teams with Watson/Lawrence. Their win over LSU was impressive, but they beat BC by 2, Clemson by 7, and Duke ran for nearly 6 YPC over them last week with barely any passing game. They are not unbeatable or without weaknesses. If we play inspired football - and we certainly have reason to - it can be close at the end, and then who knows. I mean, UVA just won in Chapel Hill as 23 point dogs.

To have a chance, I think we need Mustapha to play his A game. He had a rough game against Pitt. I'd love to see some early safety blitzes, because Travis will make mistakes.
We win the turnover battle in this game, a W is certainly possible. We will rely on our DEF again this game, need to keep Travis from scrambling. Hoping Dylan Hazen is healthy.

A good defense, good special teams, and an offense that has to scrap, yet is scrappy. . . . I'm in!

Back