• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prime Time and the Colorado Football Experiment

It's the biggest story in college football this year. 3 of the top 5 rated games in CFB this year are Colorado games (at least I think that is what I heard yesterday). Makes sense that other fanbases will be talking about this team in addition to their own.

is Deion doing like Dabo and just essentially handing off all in-game coaching to assistants? seems like most sideline shots of him he's pacing around, often with his mic pushed up

seems to me this is what more HC's should do
It made sense before and it makes even more sense now with the new transfer and NIL rules. Being a recruiter and relationship manager is way more expansive and important now. HC as a functional GM with the X's and O's exclusively being in the coordinators' and position coaches' wheelhouses seems like a way more efficient model.

It made sense before and it makes even more sense now with the new transfer and NIL rules. Being a recruiter and relationship manager is way more expansive and important now. HC as a functional GM with the X's and O's exclusively being in the coordinators' and position coaches' wheelhouses seems like a way more efficient model.
And it is a lot more doable and necessary as stsffs have grown with all the analysts and other quasi assistant coaches added in recent years.

Old enough to have been watching Deion since college and the pros. I love Deion but don’t take anything he does seriously. He’s about one thing and one thing only: Deion Sanders. Teams and champions will not be built around narcissists like him long term. There will be some wins and lots of excitement around Deion, but nothing that lasts because he doesn’t last. He’s the modern day Larry Brown of football. Serious fans want to steer clear of Deion. He is a media darling which should give everyone second thoughts. Weren’t all the Carolina fans pumped about Mack Brown? Where’s the beef?

Old enough to have been watching Deion since college and the pros. I love Deion but don’t take anything he does seriously. He’s about one thing and one thing only: Deion Sanders. Teams and champions will not be built around narcissists like him long term. There will be some wins and lots of excitement around Deion, but nothing that lasts because he doesn’t last. He’s the modern day Larry Brown of football. Serious fans want to steer clear of Deion. He is a media darling which should give everyone second thoughts. Weren’t all the Carolina fans pumped about Mack Brown? Where’s the beef?
what is the difference between being a "serious fan" and being a sports fan?

You suck. Take your 4 posts and fuck off.

What I am referring to are fans of a school or program not just a coach. I’m a fan of Wake. I like Deion and he’s fun to watch. It would be interesting if he was at Wake but I know he doesn’t care about Wake and I do. He cares about Deion.

Sorry for expressing an opinion you don’t like. Didn’t realize you were so sensitive. I’ll think about that in the future.

What I am referring to are fans of a school or program not just a coach. I’m a fan of Wake. I like Deion and he’s fun to watch. It would be interesting if he was at Wake but I know he doesn’t care about Wake and I do. He cares about Deion.
so should Colorado fans not be excited about their team's season this year?

Of course. Never suggested otherwise. Winning is always more fun than losing. I just don’t think Deion is going to be hanging around Boulder more than a year or 2.

FWIW, Colorado is going to get worked by both Oregon and USC over the next two weeks.

This isn't on Deion, he's clearly raised the level of the Buffs program from nothing to something, but they have played essentially three Super Bowls to start the season, the Buffs are banged up, and Oregon and USC are rested and both teams score lots of points. I will be interested in how the Buffs do all season, but think that this wave of national attention on Colorado hits the bridge abutment by the end of September when the masses who are clueless about college football realize Colorado is a middling Power V team (again, taking Colorado to that level is a huge improvement, but they don't have the horses to hang with the big dogs, and the Pac 12 is stacked this year).

People aren’t rooting for Colorado because they think the Buffs will win the CFP. For casuals and regular fans, It’s a feel good story about a ridiculously successful former athlete somehow in the underdog role. For people who remember 90s Colorado, they were a fun program to support and Deion is bringing that back. What’s not to love?

Do you have anything to back that up?

Steve Young said he was an incredible teammate. That he created a public PR persona, but had everyone's back in the locker room and on the field. There are glowing statements from his MLB teammates as well. And, to balance that out, it seems that he didn't click while in Dallas - he probably doesn't get along with everyone everywhere.

Sure, he has a media persona, but it doesn't seem like he's all about Deion. I listen to him and it sure seems like he cares about the kids he's leading (and yes, there is discussion about the kids that he pushed out) rather than using them as tools for his own fame/success.

Honestly a lot of the pushback I hear about Deion is similar to things that were said about Ali back in his day.

It is absolutely bizarre that a Wake Forest message board has a 10 page thread on Colorado football. Y’all need to pay more attention to WF. Jeez.
It’s about the “experiment” of bringing lots of really good players to your college football team and having good coaches as a recipe for success. It’s a bold strategy. Let’s see if it pays off.

People aren’t rooting for Colorado because they think the Buffs will win the CFP. For casuals and regular fans, It’s a feel good story about a ridiculously successful former athlete somehow in the underdog role. For people who remember 90s Colorado, they were a fun program to support and Deion is bringing that back. What’s not to love?
Agree with all of that. Just pointing out that the interest and hype will wane after Colorado is 3-2. The story would be less 'feel good' if the Buffs had lost to TCU and/or CSU. People have short attention spans and once reality sets in for the Buffs, Deion in Boulder won't be the hot topic of the day.

Will be curious to see how long he stays in Boulder. Bigger college programs and/or an NFL owner will want the buzz that Deion brings.

Back