• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Prime Time and the Colorado Football Experiment

Do you have anything to back that up?

Steve Young said he was an incredible teammate. That he created a public PR persona, but had everyone's back in the locker room and on the field. There are glowing statements from his MLB teammates as well. And, to balance that out, it seems that he didn't click while in Dallas - he probably doesn't get along with everyone everywhere.

Sure, he has a media persona, but it doesn't seem like he's all about Deion. I listen to him and it sure seems like he cares about the kids he's leading (and yes, there is discussion about the kids that he pushed out) rather than using them as tools for his own fame/success.

Honestly a lot of the pushback I hear about Deion is similar to things that were said about Ali back in his day.

Well, what would you accept? Look, I’m not trying to change your mind or prove anything to you. I’m just stating what I think about Deion Sanders. All the things you say are true, I guess. I form my opinion of him based on what I’ve seen and heard from him over the years. I like Deion and enjoy him as a media personality, but I’ve known people like him and that’s why I feel the way I do about him. I don’t think running off 50 kids in a college football program at one time would be characterized as “caring about the kids”. I’m okay if others feel differently. Just what I think.

Agree with all of that. Just pointing out that the interest and hype will wane after Colorado is 3-2. The story would be less 'feel good' if the Buffs had lost to TCU and/or CSU. People have short attention spans and once reality sets in for the Buffs, Deion in Boulder won't be the hot topic of the day.

Will be curious to see how long he stays in Boulder. Bigger college programs and/or an NFL owner will want the buzz that Deion brings.
The story would be less "feel good" if the Buffs had lost to TCU and/or CSU. Yes. Those are TCU and CSU. But the story won't be less "feel good" if the Buffs lose to Oregon and USC because Oregon and USC are much higher-regarded programs. And if they lose narrowly without Travis Hunter, they'll still have a good story to tell.

I firmly believe 8-4 Colorado is still a feel good story that will transcend the usual focus on a few undefeated teams and the usual Big Ten and SEC programs.

I think Deion would be interested in coaching his sons in the NFL. If a GM drafts both of them, the current head coach would certainly be on notice. Other that, I don't see him going to the NFL. Every advantage he has in terms of recruiting (players and assistants), NIL, swagger, etc would be nullfied in the NFL. And he doesn't need whatever narrow salary gap there is between NFL and top college coaches nowadays (is there even one?)

I will take the under 8 regular season wins for the Buffs. The current win total at the books is 6.5 juiced to the under. Anyone thinking the Buffs are winning 8 games has an opportunity to make some money.

Also, no NFL is team is going to revise its draft board to take a potential coach's sons. it doesn't work that way.

FWIW, not sure Shilo is even much of an NFL prospect.

Well, what would you accept? Look, I’m not trying to change your mind or prove anything to you. I’m just stating what I think about Deion Sanders. All the things you say are true, I guess. I form my opinion of him based on what I’ve seen and heard from him over the years. I like Deion and enjoy him as a media personality, but I’ve known people like him and that’s why I feel the way I do about him. I don’t think running off 50 kids in a college football program at one time would be characterized as “caring about the kids”. I’m okay if others feel differently. Just what I think.
people like him. Dog whistle phrase if ever i've heard one.

Being honest to those 50 kids that they aren't good enough to play for him IS caring about the kids. Would you prefer he keep them knowing they aren't good enough and lie to them?

I will take the under 8 regular season wins for the Buffs. The current win total at the books is 6.5 juiced to the under. Anyone thinking the Buffs are winning 8 games has an opportunity to make some money.

Also, no NFL is team is going to revise its draft board to take a potential coach's sons. it doesn't work that way.

FWIW, not sure Shilo is even much of an NFL prospect.
Right. That's why your "Deion to the NFL" speculation is ridiculous. I outlined the only way I could see it happening.

I'm not predicting 8-4. I'm using that number to say people rooting for Colorado don't think they're rooting for the eventual CFP champion. Better stated, I think if you surveyed college football fans who are high on the Buffs, they'd probably average an 8-4 prediction. Some would be high, some would be more realistic. Most would center on a 1 or 2 more than Vegas thinks.

Again, it's nice to see college football media get hyped about a team that doesn't have realistic championship aspirations.

Being honest to those 50 kids that they aren't good enough to play for him IS caring about the kids. Would you prefer he keep them knowing they aren't good enough and lie to them?
I thought he handled this so well in his 60 min interview and I agree with him.

To paraphrase for those who didn't watch his response to this was along the lines of: "If my words are enough to make you hop in the portal then you don't have what it takes to play at this level. We didn't run a single player off. Anyone who wanted to stay here could and the ones who chose to stay and prove me wrong are thriving".

There's probably a strong overlap between older Gen Xers who think Gen Z players are too soft and Gen Xers who think this Gen X coach was too hard on these Gen Z players.

Deion was hired to resuscitate the program and win football games, not to take care of players incapable of that. I wonder how many coaches go to a downtrodden program and think, I wish I could just start all over?" Deion thought, "I'm starting over."

For all the hand wringing about Deion clearing house, why not the same criticism for how Forbes overhauled our bball roster in his first two seasons?

Coaches are expected to win immediately with the portal. I have no problem with him being honest. That Colorado roster was god awful and they went 1-11. His future at Colorado depend(ed) on winning right now, and he did that the best way he knew how.

For all the hand wringing about Deion clearing house, why not the same criticism for how Forbes overhauled our bball roster in his first two seasons?

Good for Deion and I'm not wringing my hands

But Forbes didn't release a video on social media in which he called the players he inherited an embarrassment to their families and the University.

Right. That's why your "Deion to the NFL" speculation is ridiculous. I outlined the only way I could see it happening.

I'm not predicting 8-4. I'm using that number to say people rooting for Colorado don't think they're rooting for the eventual CFP champion. Better stated, I think if you surveyed college football fans who are high on the Buffs, they'd probably average an 8-4 prediction. Some would be high, some would be more realistic. Most would center on a 1 or 2 more than Vegas thinks.

Again, it's nice to see college football media get hyped about a team that doesn't have realistic championship aspirations.
Colorado plays the toughest schedule in the country. They're in the toughest conference and added TCU, Nebraske and CSU - puts Jim Harbaugh to shame. 8-4 would be a great result. People were starting to get unrealistic with all the Colorado hype. They have some seriously good skill players, but they're still weak on the LOS on both O and D. Give him another couple years of adding talent, and it'll get really interesting. As for Deion's future, he's got his power 5, er 4, job. I don't see him going to the NFL, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him jump at 1 of the elite schools in a few years. Colorado has some inherent limitations, which is the reason they've been so bad so long.

Back