• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Time Has Come: #ForbesIN or #ForbesOUT

Should forbes be the 24/25 Demon Deacon Basketball Coach?

• #ForbesIN

Votes: 123 74.5%
  • #ForbesOUT

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • #FreeRJKarl

Votes: 23 13.9%

• Total voters
These two situations are so comically incomparable that you're either being intentionally obtuse or unfairly disingenious in order to shit on Forbes.

There's plenty to be critical of re Forbes, but Dino inherited a team that already had 3 players on it who have played a combined 41 NBA seasons and that's before adding on a 2008 class with THREE five-star recruits who were already in-hand for him. Forbes was handed a program that was torpedoed by a socially inept freak and then spray farted on by a dude more interested in tweeting soap ads.
Tony Bennett and Coach K each had only one NCAAT appearance in their first four years as coach at UVA and dook, respectively, so I think the logical conclusion is that Dino would have won between 1 and 5 national championships if we'd held onto him long-term.

It’s unfair to not give Dino any credit for those guys being on the team. He was on the staff.
Ok, then Forbes has four Sweet 16's and one Elite 8 on his record. He was on the staff, so maybe that's his ceiling.

If we're going to go down that path, Russell Turner was on our staff when we won two ACC titles, then two PAC-10 titles with Stanford, NBA playoff games with the Warriors, and is now the winningest coach in UCI history. What's his ceiling?

Yes, the rankings are pretty much terrible. I won't dig into why because I'm not sure you'll accept any analysis in good faith and I don't want to waste my time.

If you think Hunter Sallis is the 93rd best transfer in the country this season, then we're never going to agree on anything.
If the ranking is a reflection of whether Hunter Sallis would beat the 92 guys ahead of him in a 1-on-1 game, then you are correct.

If the ranking is a reflection of whether Hunter Sallis helped his team reach its goal of making the NCAA tournament, then there are a lot of transfers ahead of him and he is in a big tie with a bunch of other players somewhere in the middle of the pack.

If we're going to go down that path, Russell Turner was on our staff when we won two ACC titles, then two PAC-10 titles with Stanford, NBA playoff games with the Warriors, and is now the winningest coach in UCI history. What's his ceiling?
Not woke enough.

If the ranking is a reflection of whether Hunter Sallis would beat the 92 guys ahead of him in a 1-on-1 game, then you are correct.

If the ranking is a reflection of whether Hunter Sallis helped his team reach its goal of making the NCAA tournament, then there are a lot of transfers ahead of him and he is in a big tie with a bunch of other players somewhere in the middle of the pack.
lol this fucking guy right here....

People joke about these boards, But I'd say it's a pretty accurate representation of the thoughts and opinions of our general fan base.

We probably have posters who don't give a dime to our athletic department, We have some posters who might give $1,000 a year, one special guy who we know gives $5,000 a year, and probably have some fairly large donors who make a few posts here and there.

90%+ in this poll think it would be silly to fire our coach this year. Half of the RJ vote at least would vote to keep Forbes, which is how I reached 90%, for those wondering.

I think if you polled 100 wake fans on the streets, every 9 out of 10 would be above average happy to very happy with the difficult job that Forbes is done these past few years.

He's a good coach, guys. He is not Jay Wright but he is definitely good enough to get it done at this level. This year is the first year we have had a real NIL presence in place. He's winning a ton of games at Wake, but unfortunately has not been able to get over the hump yet.

I'm extremely confident he's going to get us over this hump and keep us over the hump.

You do realize that teams feature more than 1 player, correct?

Feels like Sallis did his part this season, but maybe you feel like he should have performed better.

How about this... At this point in the season, would the teams that have those 92 players in front of Sallis trade their player for Sallis? I'd assume the answer is yes on that one 80-90% of the time.

Someone made a good point that it Took Hamilton 7 years to make the tourney with FSU. I can see Forbes having the success at Wake that Hamilton had at FSU.

We aren't a blue blood and we need to recognize that, but I do echo the sentiment that we should be an annual tourney team. We are close...I bet we are better next year.

Someone made a good point that it Took Hamilton 7 years to make the tourney with FSU. I can see Forbes having the success at Wake that Hamilton had at FSU.

We aren't a blue blood and we need to recognize that, but I do echo the sentiment that we should be an annual tourney team. We are close...I bet we are better next year.
Will being better mean making the tournament?

Im reserving judgment until I see the roster he builds for next season. If mass exits are not replaced with equal or greater talent, im gonna start leaning out.

I can’t believe you typed this up and then went ahead and posted it.

Given everything that has come to light at Louisville over the past two years, I am very surprised that there are still so many people here that still think Dino Gaudio should've been here one second longer.

I'm sure Chris Mack would have a different sentiment now, than he did in 2018.

#Dinowouldhavewon

That was me. All my points are good.

The school that retained Buzz and Danny Manning wants to fire the guy who's wife had a stroke and who beat Duke, UNC and Virginia using players he brought in after being hired during the Pandemic (because he lost on a horrible no-call by Teddy Valentine)?

Rancid takes like this that prove that this board not only needs RJ Karl back, but deserves it. #ForbesIN #FreeRJ

Shouldn’t you change your handle to FashandCash these days, jhmd?

Last edited:
You do realize that teams feature more than 1 player, correct?

Feels like Sallis did his part this season, but maybe you feel like he should have performed better.

How about this... At this point in the season, would the teams that have those 92 players in front of Sallis trade their player for Sallis? I'd assume the answer is yes on that one 80-90% of the time.
I would actually disagree with that. I think the teams that will make the tournament would stick with their guy. If it is the coach you are asking, not the KenPom fanbase.

Back