• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Welcome to BzzOut!!

I just knew that when we let go Dino, that we were making a strike for greatness. That we were no longer ok with just getting to the tourny. We had lost Prosser, but steadied the ship under Dino and with the talent on hand and coming, we could take the next step.

Hired Bzz.. What? Who? But in Ron I trust. maybe.. Insiders (some I've met, some I only know from a board) start giving mixed messages.

We'll see what happens..

()_)&*^*%% Happens. How the hell do you hire this guy to coach at Wake after 3 losing years at Co.

And it's going to take more to put the fan base together. I really can't help but think of some of the bzz in crowd as enablers and by definition anti skip and anti wake.. If they're for a coach, I'll have to take a look more closely at that coach.

And it's going to take more to put the fan base together. I really can't help but think of some of the bzz in crowd as enablers and by definition anti skip and anti wake.. If they're for a coach, I'll have to take a look more closely at that coach.

The worst part is that we're now in a position of taking a flyer on an up and comer coach that will likely still have some questions marks/unknowns. When Dino was fired, we were on solid ground, a top ACC team on tobacco road, and should have been able to make a hire of a known winner. If the next hire doesn't turn out to be a home run, we may be in for years of middle-of-the-road results. Sure, it will be better than Buzz, but an entire decade will be lost.

The biggest problem is going to be Ron's insistence on just taking four-year players. Will any coach accept this stipulation?

Buzz would. And that's how we ended up with him.

How great of an irony that Brad Stephens, the guy Wellman seemingly wanted, and if he couldn't have, wanted to model our program after, likely gave him the middle finger when that stipulation came up?

And I can't help but think we could have early entries. I mean is anyone really turning on RRR and CP3? Seems as if the 1 and dones that we have had (Tabb?) are the system working correctly to get rid of people... Or we keep Ty Walker forever.

The one and done talk doesn't make any sense.

The biggest problem is going to be Ron's insistence on just taking four-year players. Will any coach accept this stipulation?

Not a real thing. [Redacted] has attempted to recruit non-4 years players, he has just failed.

I still fail to see where having players good enough at their craft to advance to the next level is something to avoid. Sure, I can understand not wanting the guys who come in, have no interest in an education, and just screw around in the classroom but those guys are limited. There are plenty of high level recruits that will leave early but during their time in school will actually value the education and experience.

Not a real thing. [Redacted] has attempted to recruit non-4 years players, he has just failed.

It's absolutely a real thing. More than one insider (including past players) have indicated the real "culture change" Ron was seeking with the fire/hire was to go after 4 year players. When Buzz failed miserably, the indiscretions of the players Buzz re-recruited and that were vetted by the AD were highlighted and the culture change narrative was spun to be about the evil kids Dino had brought to the program. Buzz as the "clean-up" guy narrative was born to cover for his failures, when previously he had been brought in (and the entire staff retained) just to make "tweaks" to the program that Dino had left him.

The switch in recruiting wasn't to stop bringing in guys that had the talent to go pro early, but to stop bringing in guys that didn't want to put in the work in the classroom -- once it becomes clear that they are ready to go pro in the summer.

The switch in recruiting wasn't to stop bringing in guys that had the talent to go pro early, but to stop bringing in guys that didn't want to put in the work in the classroom -- once it becomes clear that they are ready to go pro in the summer.

This is what I understood as well.

my spiral was similar to a lot of you.

1 - surprised dino was fired but cautiously optimistic due to the "win in the post season" stuff
2 - heard rumor then confirmation of bzz and was distraught. the metldown was epic in the premium chat room the day bzz was hired.
3 - still crushed.
4 - after reading that bs quote document wellman issued i tried really hard to be optimistic that so many people knew something i did not. (i knew it was a bunch of people just being nice but i really wanted to believe it).
5 - stetson loss gave that depressing "this is not happening. it can't be. it will be ok. right?" feeling
6 - presby loss made me realize i could not kid myself any longer and the initial reaction of EVERYONE (other than a few sycophants) was correct. bzz was going to be a disaster. even most people that were bzz in or wellman i trust initially thought bzz a bad hire but pushed that feeling in to the deepest darkest pits of their psyche to try and stay sane. i think that is why so many people are so angry. they really tried to buy in but nothing wellman or bzz did made any sense and it was all deliberately awful treatment of the fan base.

'Cause everyone graduates in Chapel Hill, you know, even the guys who leave early for the league.

'Cause everyone graduates in Chapel Hill, you know, even the guys who leave early for the league.

Yeah, I personally think it is silly and naive to think that way, but it is what I've been told.

We are bringing these kids in to exploit their talents and make money. God forbid they exploit us to then go make money themselves.

Yeah, I personally think it is silly and naive to think that way, but it is what I've been told.

We are bringing these kids in to exploit their talents and make money. God forbid they exploit us to then go make money themselves.

What I mean is that they've been graduating guys in Chapel Hill in no small way because many of them have been allowed/encouraged to skate through, taking Portuguese, geology (rocks for jocks), and the fake Swahili classes.

And you're right -- major college sports are run sort of like a plantation system.

Last edited:
And yet we advertise these problem players in our game day programs as "heralded" wfu players in the nba. ie: ish, teague, cp3, and yes...james johnson, the bad boy himself!

And I can't help but think we could have early entries. I mean is anyone really turning on RRR and CP3? Seems as if the 1 and dones that we have had (Tabb?) are the system working correctly to get rid of people... Or we keep Ty Walker forever.

The one and done talk doesn't make any sense.

yep:

I can tolerate an occasional player who leaves after three years...but never any who leave after only one or two years. I wish that Chris Paul, James Johnson, Jeff Teague & Al-Farouq Aminu had never gone to Wake Forest. They mean nothing to me.

^Have we fielded a quality team post-1970 that didn't have at least one guy that could've left early to go to the NBA?

Just stopping by to say I was BzOut since Deman had to leave the premium chat to blow off some steam because he was so pissed about the hire.

At least that's how I remember it.

Just stopping by to say I was BzOut since Deman had to leave the premium chat to blow off some steam because he was so pissed about the hire.

At least that's how I remember it.

Yeah, but he wasn't necessarily upset with the hire (he has defended the hell out of Buzz). He was upset that the AD fed him bullshit lies about who we were pursuing and then signed Buzz, seemingly out of the blue.

Back