• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB Game 7: Florida Gators - Wednesday 7:15 ESPNU

To me our ideal starting lineup would be Boopie, Sallis, Damari, Carr, Reid with Cam playing heavy minutes off the bench as a do-everything guy. Sallis and Cam have too much overlap in their skill sets and neither is a real PG.
You're probably right, but there's no way that goes over well. If you could get Cam to embrace that Manu role, then #hooboy. I don't think starting Cam/Sallis at PG and having Boopie come in with the second unit going 1,000 miles an hour is the worst thing in the world though.

Hasn't Monsanto always been an above average rebounder?
Yes on the defensive side of the glass he was the third best rebounder on the team last year as far as rebounding percentage behind only Marsh and Bobi.

On the offensive glass he's non-existent, which makes sense given his role around the perimeter.

Mousse Cisse, two-time transfer, was given a waiver yesterday by the NCAA. He started his career at Memphis (AAC Rookie of the Year in 2020-2021) and played the last two seasons at Oklahoma State. Mike Boynton has been the head coach at Oklahoma State since 2017, so it's not as though he transferred to Ole Miss due to a coaching change. Oxford, MS is 85 miles from Memphis, where Cisse played his high school bb.

I can't see a world where Cam gets benched for Damari. He was made a captain before the season, has played more minutes so far than anybody else on the team and is currently putting up 18/5/3 on absurd 55/46/96 shooting splits.

Honestly I think all three of Cam, Boopie and Hunter are playing too well to be dropped to the bench (which is crazy considering we've lost half our games) and we're already out shooting all of our opponents without him [except Elon lol] so I wouldn't be surprised if Damari ends up being the 6th man, but I'm not sure how well that would go over with him though losing his starting spot effectively due to an injury.

Still sounds like there's gonna be some time before Damari's ready though so who knows how things could change before then and either way there are much worse problems to have than having too many talented wing/guard players.

The injury provides cover to have Monsanto as the 6th man (if there even is such a thing). Our depth is terrible right now (granted, that's concentrated at the 4/5) so there are plenty of minutes to take from Cam, Boopie and Hunter to keep them from running out of gas in mid-February.

Florida may set a record for offensive rebounds in a game.
They're really tough. Got a daughter at UF, and I've seen all of their games thus far this season as well as all of Wake's games. They led FSU 50-20 at halftime. They have multiple players who are capable of 20+ on any given night. Rick Pitino desperately wanted Walter Clayton to follow him to St. John's, but he opted to go back home to Florida. He's a dog, as are grad transfer Zyon Pullin from UC-Riverside and Tyrese Samuel. The 7'0 transfer from Marshall, Micah Handlogten, injured his ankle against Pitt and probably won't be 100%. Handlogten runs the court ridiculously well for a big guy (likely due to many years of playing lacrosse). Riley Kugel earned All-SEC freshman last season. Will be a huge win for the Deacs if we can pull it off. Florida has been flying under the radar this season, but I think they'll be a Top 25 team by the season's end.

With a full strength Damari it’s pretty obvious Boopie would be coming off the bench as a change of pace scoring guard. Don’t need to overthink this one.
I think this is the answer too but it depends on whether Forbes would be comfortable starting games without a true PG to control the offence, not that Boopie's particularly been lighting teams up at the start of games but then again who has? Tbh I think what's more likely to happen is that he just rotates the starters based on who we're matching up against.

A 100% healthy damari is the best player on the team. Don't overthink that. I don't know that we get 100% healthy damari this year though.

A 100% healthy damari is the best player on the team. Don't overthink that. I don't know that we get 100% healthy damari this year though.

No. He’s a great shooter and contributes on the defensive glass. But he’s also very streaky and when he’s cold can shoot us out of games. Sallis is the best player on the team.

With a full strength Damari it’s pretty obvious Boopie would be coming off the bench as a change of pace scoring guard. Don’t need to overthink this one.
Yeah, not sure why this is even a question. Even if it was it's moot anyway since we won't get a full strength Monsanto for a while.

A 100% Monsanto as a bench guy is pretty laughable. Dude was 2nd in points, 3rd in defensive rebounding, and led the ACC in threes last year in conference. And he shot 94% from the line. He changes the entire team trajectory. I'm not one to excuse any losses with what if's typically, but in this case... 3 point loss to UGA, OT with LSU, 2 point game under 2 minutes with Utah? We'd be 6-0 and ranked with him in the lineup. Well, 5-1 maybe since I guess we'd have played Houston in the tourney... But even then who knows - he'd have started at the 4 with Carr at the 5.

Yeah, not sure why this is even a question. Even if it was it's moot anyway since we won't get a full strength Monsanto for a while.

A 100% Monsanto as a bench guy is pretty laughable. Dude was 2nd in points, 3rd in defensive rebounding, and led the ACC in threes last year in conference. And he shot 94% from the line. He changes the entire team trajectory. I'm not one to excuse any losses with what if's typically, but in this case... 3 point loss to UGA, OT with LSU, 2 point game under 2 minutes with Utah? We'd be 6-0 and ranked with him in the lineup. Well, 5-1 maybe since I guess we'd have played Houston in the tourney... But even then who knows - he'd have started at the 4 with Carr at the 5.
I don't think anyone doubts that Monsanto at 100% health and fully up to speed would be a starter. I just don't think we'll have that version of Monsanto at any point this season

I don't think anyone doubts that Monsanto at 100% health and fully up to speed would be a starter. I just don't think we'll have that version of Monsanto at any point this season

Dude, you posted "Monsanto would be great to have, but we aren't really missing a player of that prototype."

Nobody is arguing Monsanto coming off an injury will start immediately. That's a very different thing from saying we're not really missing him.

My perception is that our offense can get really stagnant with Cam and Sallis playing together which is my only real issue. I’ll focus on that the next few games and see if that proves to be true. Of course this is all totally theoretical since it’s based on 2 guys who can’t even play right now.

Dude, you posted "Monsanto would be great to have, but we aren't really missing a player of that prototype."

Nobody is arguing Monsanto coming off an injury will start immediately. That's a very different thing from saying we're not really missing him.
Fair enough, I could have worded my original post better.

My point was that I think adding Efton Reid (or a similar big man) would be a bigger boost than adding Monsanto, which I still believe.

Back