• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF MBB Game 7: Florida Gators - Wednesday 7:15 ESPNU

My perception is that our offense can get really stagnant with Cam and Sallis playing together which is my only real issue. I’ll focus on that the next few games and see if that proves to be true. Of course this is all totally theoretical since it’s based on 2 guys who can’t even play right now.
Agree. You could see that lift Parker gave us earlier in the year when he hit a few shots. He didn't hit anything against LSU and Cam went without a field goal for the entire second half. It's so frustrating because this team is built so well and it's just getting wrecked.

Fair enough, I could have worded my original post better.

My point was that I think adding Efton Reid (or a similar big man) would be a bigger boost than adding Monsanto, which I still believe.
Definitely agree with that, despite Reid never having played a minute for Wake yet. I do think it'll be funny if he does get cleared and plays like 15 minutes, has 2 points and 2 boards, and the fanbase loses their minds over it.

Reactions: WRS
Fair enough, I could have worded my original post better.

My point was that I think adding Efton Reid (or a similar big man) would be a bigger boost than adding Monsanto, which I still believe.
Can't agree. A healthy Monsanto changes the course of direction of this team. He is a once in 20 years type of shooter that can't be stopped even when a defense keys on him, which opens up the middle for Cam (and Sallis and Carr).

This Efton Reid fixation has gotten out of control here. There is no doubt that WF needs a big, but if you only read this Board, you would think Efton Reid is Joel Embiid. In two seasons of college basketball, Efton Reid's O ratings were: 96 and 85. 100 is average. Reid is a terrible FT shooter, and his career 3 point % is 21%. Also, Monsanto's rebound rate is essentially the same as Reid's. Reid would help, maybe a lot, but Monsanto wins games.

Would the first #FreeEftonReid game make you feel better with a monster stat line or a dud? I honestly think I'm more excited about a Shaq line and more happy with a Kwame Brown game.

I mean if Reid is a 10 and 6 with a block guy then he’ll make me happy

Carr is so out of his league at the 5

Quite frankly, the only thing that is going to make this season NCAA worthy is if we get better on defense. The offense is there, but we're abysmal defensively for a P5 team.
prediction- we score 80+ tonight and lose by 10+.

If Reid plays better defense than Marsh, provides a little bit of offense and allows Carr to primarily play the 4 then we are much better. That seems very achievable (if he plays).

Yeah, I think that Reid offers offers a potentially much bigger upgrade over Marsh/Keller/ Carr at the 5, especially on the defensive end, compared with whatever upgrade there is from Damari over Sallis/Cam/Boopie, or whoever he else takes minutes from. This is only more pronounced given Damari will likely be slowly eased back to action and may not be 100% for quite some time.

That being said, I would love to see either of them on the court in games, and ideally, both of them.

Can't agree. A healthy Monsanto changes the course of direction of this team. He is a once in 20 years type of shooter that can't be stopped even when a defense keys on him, which opens up the middle for Cam (and Sallis and Carr).

This Efton Reid fixation has gotten out of control here. There is no doubt that WF needs a big, but if you only read this Board, you would think Efton Reid is Joel Embiid. In two seasons of college basketball, Efton Reid's O ratings were: 96 and 85. 100 is average. Reid is a terrible FT shooter, and his career 3 point % is 21%. Also, Monsanto's rebound rate is essentially the same as Reid's. Reid would help, maybe a lot, but Monsanto wins games.
I don't care if Reid averages 2 points a game. That's not the end of the floor we need him on.

We have abysmal interior defense and it has already cost us multiple games

No. He’s a great shooter and contributes on the defensive glass. But he’s also very streaky and when he’s cold can shoot us out of games. Sallis is the best player on the team.
Sallis is good, I like him he brings a lot, but I think Damari changes games more than Sallis does. And when engaged Damari can play good D too. He changes everything when he's on the floor.

Sallis has a ton of potential (he's even on some NBA draft boards), but he's still learning how to play. Damari began playing college basketball in 2019. His game is mature.

I've read and heard that Wake is one of two teams in NCAA that has 4 guys averaging at least 15 ppg. Does anyone know what the other team is? Bama?

There is a decent chance our game decides whether the ACC wins the challenge too.

Current results, the ACC is 3-4:

Miss St. 59 @ Ga Tech 67
Notre Dame 53 @ South Carolina 65
LSU 57 @ Cuse 80 (ouch)
Miami 73 @ Kentucky 95
Missouri 71 @ Pitt 64
NC State 52 @ Ole Miss 72
Clemson 85 @ Alabama 77

Most of the games tonight are essentially toss ups, although FSU is favored over Georgia by 9.5, and Auburn is favored by 8.5 over Va Tech.

At the Joel early to get ready for tonight's game while also have my ear to the floor on any possible news regarding Efton Reid and other things.

First piece of news, confirmed that Wake will be wearing the gold uniforms tonight. More notes to come from here on my Twitter @essexthayer7

I've read and heard that Wake is one of two teams in NCAA that has 4 guys averaging at least 15 ppg. Does anyone know what the other team is? Bama?
It was Miami until last night. Pack and Cleveland had a rough night and fell below 15 ppg.

If (when) Monsanto fully recovers, he will join Miller, Hildreth and Sallis in a four man rotation playing the 1-3 positions. Four players for 120 minutes.

Somebody must join Carr as a productive player at the four or five for this team to win. Marion appears capable of productive minutes behind Carr at the four. The five remains a big question mark.

I assume Clark will be given minutes tonight. If he ramps up the defense like he did in his previous appearance, he will get increasing minutes. The eight minutes he was on the floor was the best defense Wake has played this season. This team won't win until it plays good D. If Clark is the missing piece that makes this a good defensive team, he will get PT.

At the Joel early to get ready for tonight's game while also have my ear to the floor on any possible news regarding Efton Reid and other things.

First piece of news, confirmed that Wake will be wearing the gold uniforms tonight. More notes to come from here on my Twitter @essexthayer7

Can’t wait to see the gold unis

Back