• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ VT (10/14), 3:30PM on ACC Network

Getting Roberts from A&T was even bigger with what’s happened with Jones.

Coach Spencer has done a phenomenal job with the LB's this season.

Especially without the use of 2 of the top 3 or 4 projected LB's (Jones and Robinson)

IIRC, we were leading when Surratt got hurt. Newman didn't have a great second half.
Yeah, I was having to follow that game on the iphone during my cousin's wedding, it sucked! The game, not the wedding, it was ok as far as weddings go.;)

IIRC, we were leading when Surratt got hurt. Newman didn't have a great second half.
Wake was down 29-17 when Surratt got hurt, was 9 1/2 minutes left.

Play he got hurt on was the backbreaker. He made a catch, tackled, clearly down when the ball popped out. He tried to recover because refs didn't blow the play dead, and was hurt while reaching for the ball. So WF lost the best WR in the ACC that season because refs are instructed to let those things play out and they'll just fix it on replay review.

Btw: Ref crew for that game is the same as the one at Clemson last weekend (Jerry Magallanes).

Wake was down 29-17 when Surratt got hurt, was 9 1/2 minutes left.

Play he got hurt on was the backbreaker. He made a catch, tackled, clearly down when the ball popped out. He tried to recover because refs didn't blow the play dead, and was hurt while reaching for the ball. So WF lost the best WR in the ACC that season because refs are instructed to let those things play out and they'll just fix it on replay review.

Btw: Ref crew for that game is the same as the one at Clemson last weekend (Jerry Magallanes).
did they reverse the call or it stood as a fumble?

Score was 29-17.

After replay, it was ruled not a fumble. That play gave WF a 1st down, and WF matriculated the ball down to VT 31, but failed to convert on a 4th and 2.

WF stopped VT on the next drive, but when WF got the ball back, Newman threw a pick, which resulted in a VT first down at the WF 7. Tech (Hendon Hooker at QB) ran it in for TD, and that was all she wrote. 36-17. Deacs led at the half, and midway through the 3rd quarter.

did they reverse the call or it stood as a fumble?
As Pilch noted, reversed the call.

I know my incessant bitching about replay review gets annoying ... but allowing that play to continue was inexcusable. It changed the kid's career and Wake's season. And it was handled in the way officials are taught to handle those plays.

I was at that 2019 game in Blacksburg. They honored Bud Foster before the game as it was his final season.

Before WF's first play, their nose tackle absolutely lit up our center pre-snap. It was essentially a personal foul but for the low price of a 5-yard offsides penalty. Seemed to be a message.

The game was over before Surratt got injured, IMO. Still, obviously inexcusable for the refs not to blow the play dead. And losing Surratt definitely impacted the season (and his career).

As Pilch noted, reversed the call.

I know my incessant bitching about replay review gets annoying ... but allowing that play to continue was inexcusable. It changed the kid's career and Wake's season. And it was handled in the way officials are taught to handle those plays.
As stated above, Surratt was the most dominant receiver in the ACC that season (he had over 1,000 yards receiving and 11 TDs in 9 games). In that VT game, he was going up against Caleb Farley, a 2021 1st round pick who now plays for the Titans; Suratt had two TDs that day. After that injury, Sage never caught another pass in college. Passed on playing during the Covid season, and then Surratt hurt his leg (knee?) before the combine. Sage essentially has only played in knock-off professional leagues since. There were several future NFL players on the field on November 9, 2019 at VT (Caleb Farley, Divine Deablo, Christian Darrisaw, Kendall Hinton, Justin Herron, Ja'Sir Taylor, Essang Bassey), and at that time, Surratt was as good as any of them. Injuries suck.

As stated above, Surratt was the most dominant receiver in the ACC that season (he had over 1,000 yards receiving and 11 TDs in 9 games). In that VT game, he was going up against Caleb Farley, a 2021 1st round pick who now plays for the Titans; Suratt had two TDs that day. After that injury, Sage never caught another pass in college. Passed on playing during the Covid season, and then Surratt hurt his leg (knee?) before the combine. Sage essentially has only played in knock-off professional leagues since. There were several future NFL players on the field on November 9, 2019 at VT (Caleb Farley, Divine Deablo, Christian Darrisaw, Kendall Hinton, Justin Herron, Ja'Sir Taylor, Essang Bassey), and at that time, Surratt was as good as any of them. Injuries suck.
Combining the last two posts: Wake's starting center, @thatguy2016, was Zach Tom.

I'll duck for cover after this one: KW3 had 3 carries for 11 yards that day.

Combining the last two posts: Wake's starting center, @thatguy2016, was Zach Tom.

I'll duck for cover after this one: KW3 had 3 carries for 11 yards that day.

How many snaps did he get? Because evidently he wasn’t out there to block.

How many snaps did he get? Because evidently he wasn’t out there to block.
RB snaps in that game were:

42 - Cade Carney
21 - KW3
5 - Courtney McKinney

PFF has KW3 as a pass-blocker once (gave up a QB hit). But says 17 of his 21 snaps were on passing plays ... kind of hard to believe he ran 16 pass routes. Don't WF has ever had a RB run that many pass routes under Clawson/Ruggiero.

No way the powers that be were going to let us win that game on Bud Foster day.

Score was 29-17.

After replay, it was ruled not a fumble. That play gave WF a 1st down, and WF matriculated the ball down to VT 31, but failed to convert on a 4th and 2.

WF stopped VT on the next drive, but when WF got the ball back, Newman threw a pick, which resulted in a VT first down at the WF 7. Tech (Hendon Hooker at QB) ran it in for TD, and that was all she wrote. 36-17. Deacs led at the half, and midway through the 3rd quarter.
Matriculated. Love it. Signed, Hank

Dooley's first season at WF wasn't until '87. We beat Dooley's VPI team in '83.
Thanks for correcting my synapses....😁
I think my brain was remembering Dooley winning at least once in Chapel Hill, as someone noted.

Last edited:
Hey all, this is Essex Thayer with Blogger So Dear. If you are looking for honest takes on Wake Forest football, our thoughts on the game/team, a preview of VT, keys to the game, predictions and more, Ben Conroy and I have you covered with The Boots On The Ground Pod.

This pod is highlighted with a take on why Wake won't score 30 points again this season, what a loss would mean for the team's bowl hopes and why the conservative offense is frustrating but necessary.

Tune in here, every listen is much appreciated:

Hey all, this is Essex Thayer with Blogger So Dear. If you are looking for honest takes on Wake Forest football, our thoughts on the game/team, a preview of VT, keys to the game, predictions and more, Ben Conroy and I have you covered with The Boots On The Ground Pod.

This pod is highlighted with a take on why Wake won't score 30 points again this season, what a loss would mean for the team's bowl hopes and why the conservative offense is frustrating but necessary.

Tune in here, every listen is much appreciated:

Will there be #BootsOnTheGround in Blacksburg?

Back