• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

RJ is like that crazy hot ex, couldn't stand her when you were with her but the sex was so good you stayed longer than you should have. But now it's been some time and you've forgotten all about the crazy and kinda miss her.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Speaking of which, I do wonder what Jessica is up to these days…

No to SMU. There is a reason that they are willing to give up a share for years. There are 5 Texas schools in the Big 12 and one in the SEC. So, the ACC is settling for the 7th most attractive school in Texas? When was the last time any SMU football or basketball game generated any buzz? This would be a move to just make a move.
SMU gives us DFW market while taking no revenue. I know Hale is reporting it is a minimal financial gain, and he knows more than any of us, but adding SMU with them taking no revenue is definitely a financial gain. I don’t think anyone truly knows what the financial boost is, but there are also large ‘soft’ benefits such as solidifying ACC as the #3 conference and setting ACC up to potentially go after the 5 Texas schools in the Big 12 and changing the little brother narrative. If we don’t grab SMU Stanford Cal then Big 12 (or B1G / SEC) will. GoR is a good defense but we need an offense.

OGB said it best: I’d much rather be Iowa State vs. Wazzu. If ACC does nothing like PAC-12, the probability of Wake being the next Wazzu increases.

This is informative, but those numbers are highly skewed by scheduling popular teams. Seems like taking the mean viewers per game would be the most accurate way to measure that
I also think this whole thing is skewed based on what channel the game is on.

It seems wrong to say that one team’s brand attracts more viewers when they had more games on ABC/ESPN/FOX compared to another team that was not on those channels. How do you distinguish between the team attracting viewers and the channel just being easier to access for casual viewers who don’t actually care about the teams playing all that much?

I think the best way to do this would be to compare each team’s viewership numbers with each possible channel the game was on being a separate category, but maybe that reduces the sample size too much.

is SMU a good school or just somewhere rich folks send their mediocre kids? I knew a few of those growing up.

ETA: tied with State and Indiana in US News. So I think my idea of it holds.
But it’s ahead of High Point!

Yeah I expect the flawed “averages” to be posted as gospel about a dozen more times on this thread before someone leaves the ACC

I don't see Clemson being Big 10 material. They already have programs that are equivalent to them, and they are about to have a lot more money.

Maybe as a non-AAU rural buddy for Nebraska?

I think Clemson could turn out sucking in the Big 10.

FSU, not really a B10 school either. But it is Florida. If I were the B10, I'd rather have Miami.
Huh? Clemson has more natties in the last decade than the entire Big 10 combined.

I just read that about the top 14, but US News designates law schools 51-100 to be second tier and third tier to be 100-150. #22 obviously isn’t close to being second tier.
My guy, I say this with the weight of experience, as a law grad and currently looking for a job in one of the biggest legal markets in the country, we are most definitely not first tier on the national stage.

Yeah wouldn’t VT be a much bigger draw from there? And seems like the B10 likes schools with engineering and ag stuff.
You mean the VT that has a grand total of one double digit win season in its entire history when Frank Beamer wasn't the coach?

Back