• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

yeah Currie should just throw in the towel and not try to sell the program he is directing

You forgot the repeated idiocy of "we just need to force ND to join the conference!"

Still pissed that those half-assed golden domers somehow have full voting right privileges and their AD acts like he owns the place. :(

the big 10 fucking sucks at sports. Other than Ohio State football winning every 20 years, they literally never win the championship in any major sport. it's a fact, one that fans of Wake, UNC Charlotte, Elon or Lenoir-Rhyne can point out
What ncaa championships have those other 3 NC schools won? Elon won a NAIA golf title in 1977. Guilford won 3 a few years later. Anything else?

People are whining about another conference because the actions of those conferences is going to kill the ACC. Not sure why that’s confusing to you.

And yeah, Wake Forest football is capable of being a middle of the pack team in the B10. Considering they’ve been somewhere between the top and middle of the ACC for the last 5 years pretty consistently, that isn’t an absurd take.

But again, none of that matters. Wake Forest won’t ever get a chance to prove that they could compete in the B10 or the SEC because the school is too small.

If I were you I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss such a scenario, take that fwiw. Sankey/SEC office have done pretty well sticking to Slive’s formula thus far. I’ve heard from people who’ve been right in the past that if the conference does expand it won’t be taking schools that would seem obvious.

SEC’s modus operandi thus far in adding new members is only doing so when there is an existing member(s) that are analogous in numerous ways, both athletically and institutionally. Mizzou -> USCjr; Aggie -> Auburn, Moo State; Texas -> Bama; Oklahoma -> UGA, Florida. Wake’s “match” in this scenario is obviously Vandy, there has 100% been back channel contact from people who aren’t directly affiliated with Wake but acting as Wake’s reps and contact has been reciprocated by SEC. Wake also is not an AAU member which complicates any desires or attempts to join the B1G significantly.

I was told by same people the only schools to make similar back channel inquiries about membership and have had contact/show of interest reciprocated by SEC are UVA and NC State. UNC is off table from start bc UK is charter member and has made it clear they’ll oppose UNC membership.

FSU’s public tantrum was because they went about contacting SEC and B1G very clumsily. All I know is it has been radio silence from SEC despite (maybe because of) FSU’s desperation. I assume smoke and then fire around B1G adding Wash and Oregon also contributed to FSU’s tantrum. Haven’t heard anything about Clemson that hasn’t already been reported so idk what is going on there.

With all that said y’all have every right to think I’m some random poster that got lost while looking for the Auburn boards and am full of shit so I’m not gonna try and defend myself or argue my case. All I’ll say is anything that presents as a statement is based on what I’ve been told directly by people I trust. Everything else is speculation and inference based on things I’ve been told. I haven’t even posted this to the paywall Auburn boards I’m active on and probably won’t.

I’m both emotionally and financially invested in Wake Forest athletics and the football program in particular. I’m also very excited about the future and the direction of the program. I’m posting this because I think y’all should be as well. LOWF will probably be leaving other schools that have pushed y’all around historically behind for greener pastures. Entitlement is typically extremely off-putting, regardless of the context.

there's an Auburn fan on 247 who dropped in to say that if the ACC imploded, he was hearing that the SEC would take FSU, Clemson, NC State, and Wake.

giphy.gif
Was this you I was talking about auburn guy

Duke is a better match for Vandy than Wake.

Nah. Different colors and mascots aren’t twinsies. We’re the obvious match because color match and mascot twins are the most important thing.

False

Vandy Gold is Pantone: 873 c
Wake Gold is Pantone: 8640

Very different colors.

Wake’s academic gold color is closer to Vandy’s. Pantone 871

False

Vandy Gold is Pantone: 873 c
Wake Gold is Pantone: 8640

Very different colors.

Wake’s academic gold color is closer to Vandy’s. Pantone 871
What about Purdue? Also a mascot twin. Is the color close enough? If so, we’re Big 10 bound.

I have no fucking desire for Wake to be in the SEC. God that would suck so bad.
I mean it would be better than being in a conference with App State or whoever. But like others, I have my doubts about the likelihood it ever happens.

But yeah, I think the majority of this board’s preference is probably that the ACC survives with all of our traditional rivals.

Are we sure that getting to play sports at the top level would be more fun than not getting to do that?

Yeah I think that’s a pretty fair thing to say.
How fun do you think it is to be a Vandy sports fan? Why would being a Wake fan looking any different over the long run with Wake in the SEC?

Back