• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Marvel's The Avengers (reviews/discussion)

I'm kind of surprised that Ultron isn't the next villain. I knew the infinity gauntlet has been hinted at multiple times in the films and at comicons, but I didn't think they'd go full intergalactic conflict so quickly. Maybe they're saving Ultron for the third film.

Also, the film has been out over a week now. Can we just put spoilers in the thread title now so we can talk openly?

Saw the movie this past weekend....movie was excellent. Funny, non-stop action, and characters fit like a glove. I can't imagine a better casting job to be honest. Definitely the best hulk....Ironman is perfect....and Captain America is such a likable goober. I love that they are extending this series, and will be looking forward to the next film.

I'm kind of surprised that Ultron isn't the next villain. I knew the infinity gauntlet has been hinted at multiple times in the films and at comicons, but I didn't think they'd go full intergalactic conflict so quickly. Maybe they're saving Ultron for the third film.

That is exactly what I was thinking was a logical progression. Ultron is still an extreme challenge for the team without going straight into "fate of the whole universe" stuff. I suppose another reasonable progression could be Thanos + cube in #2 then Thanos + Infinity Gauntlet in #3. This would be perfectly fine with me, Thanos is my #1 favorite comic character so I'm all for more of him.

is there a link to the first additional scene in the credits?

I think Marvel has employed someone(s) who's full time job is to look for leaks on Youtube. I've seen URLs for the end scene and they're always dead links by the time I click on them. You can probably find it (+ the whole movie for that matter) on some less reputable sites.

That is exactly what I was thinking was a logical progression. Ultron is still an extreme challenge for the team without going straight into "fate of the whole universe" stuff. I suppose another reasonable progression could be Thanos + cube in #2 then Thanos + Infinity Gauntlet in #3. This would be perfectly fine with me, Thanos is my #1 favorite comic character so I'm all for more of him.

I stopped reading comics about 15 years ago. I never got much beyond Hulk, X-Men, and Batman. Have any Thanos series recommendations that I could get on Comixology to get some perspective?

Comixology is a great resource. I'm only using it for the Young Justice TV series companion comics, but if I decided to go all-in that's where I'll go.

I stopped reading comics about 15 years ago. I never got much beyond Hulk, X-Men, and Batman. Have any Thanos series recommendations that I could get on Comixology to get some perspective?

In some semblance of how I'd rank them.

1) "The Thanos Quest". A 2-issue mini series detailing how he gets the Infinity Gauntlet. This is 5/5 stars.

2) "The Infinity Gauntlet" The story of what happened when he posessed it.

These aren't hard to find in some trade paperback form. There are some other good stories too, but those 2 are the key ones.

I just bought a trade paperback of "The Thanos Imperative". I haven't started reading it yet, but it's the latest story.

More Avengers numbers.

--Over $100M in the 2nd weekend (beating Avatar's record of $75M)
--$373M total in US in 9 days
--Over $1 billion worldwide in 19 days
--93% on Rotten Tomatoes in 258 reviews

Saw it at an IMAX in 3d. Great movie. Second 3d movie I've seen, avatar being the other, where I thought the 3d was well worth it. Seemed like it was made with 3d in mind.

More Avengers numbers.

Percentage of profit given to Jack Kirby, Joe Simon or Don Heck: 0

I don't think DC has the same kind of control that Marvel. Remember, Marvel has their own studio and the power of Disney behind them. It is still true, though, that the two companies approach story telling very differently, and that ultimately effects how these characters get translated to the screen. Nolan just happened to be more faithful to the character than other directors.

DC is owned by Time Warner and is part of Warner Bros.

More Avengers numbers.

More numbers: Downey's going to make a cool $50M, while the other make $2-$3M from the movie.

Morrison is the only writer that's kept me reading any superhero comics in the last decade. He's probably the only one left with any interesting ideas.

Morrison is a self absorbed narcissist who writes outlandish stories in some vain attempt to be artistic. Instead, everything he writes ends up being a convoluted mess. Does he have interesting ideas? Yeah, I suppose so. Making Cyclops the centerpiece of X-Men going forward and swapping Phoenix for Emma Frost have been a good moves for that series, but he always ends up pushing the envelope too far. The end of his run on X-men and the RIP arc in Batman (let's not even mention The Return of Bruce Wayne...I could barely get through it and it was only four books) were all similarly terrible. If Morrison knew how to use some subtlety in his work, I think his writing would be worlds better.

I don't know what Morrison's been up to lately, but I used to think of him as being #1, primarily based on his Vertigo work. The Animal Man storyline where he becomes self aware is one of my favorite arcs. The only traditional superhero stuff I've read from him was New X-Men, which I thought was very good. I might look for his Batman work on Comixology to see what's up.

I will +1 that he is "a self absorbed narcissist".

Back