• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MBB Game 12: ACC Opener - Hokies Visit The Joel - Saturday 2pm - ESPN2

We all agree Joel is too big for us. Most of us think the money can be better spent in other ways. Glad it was a good crowd
Much better ways to spend when trying to go from Tier Two to Tier One

Best performance of the year for the Deacs. The first half defense was absolutely stifiling. I like the full court pressure we see on occasion. Everyone played well.

A couple of observations. Zack Keller is beginning to play with confidence. His hustle, effort and results were far better than his stats and there was no dropoff in play when he was on the court. The bench has learned how to play within their roles and they are maintaining or extending leads when all three of them are on the floor together.

Keller, Marion and Friedrichsen have played a total of 593 minutes this season. They have committed 15 turnovers and have 21 steals. Protect the basketball is more than just a phrase with our bench.

Best performance of the year for the Deacs. The first half defense was absolutely stifiling. I like the full court pressure we see on occasion. Everyone played well.

A couple of observations. Zack Keller is beginning to play with confidence. His hustle, effort and results were far better than his stats and there was no dropoff in play when he was on the court. The bench has learned how to play within their roles and they are maintaining or extending leads when all three of them are on the floor together.

Keller, Marion and Friedrichsen have played a total of 593 minutes this season. They have committed 15 turnovers and have 21 steals. Protect the basketball is more than just a phrase with our bench.

Great stat! Our five frontcourt players (Carr, Reid, Keller, Marion, and Marsh) combined for 44 blocks and 36 turnovers on the season. None of them have more turnovers than blocks.

Our old Memorial Coliseum was an even worse dump: lighting so bad that you couldn't show games on t.v. w/o certain cameras, and the cig smoke with no ventilation to speak of left a noxious, grey cloud over the whole facility. Aisles were narrow, and the seats were almost on top of the court. And the parking lot was so dark that after-game fights and vandalism of vehicles of opposing fans was commonplace.
Come to think of it, that place was so bad that it was actually a good place for the home team.
...and it featured the best hot dogs

Our old Memorial Coliseum was an even worse dump: lighting so bad that you couldn't show games on t.v. w/o certain cameras, and the cig smoke with no ventilation to speak of left a noxious, grey cloud over the whole facility. Aisles were narrow, and the seats were almost on top of the court. And the parking lot was so dark that after-game fights and vandalism of vehicles of opposing fans was commonplace.
Come to think of it, that place was so bad that it was actually a good place for the home team.
A lot of good times in that old gym. A haze in the air and ice under the court floor. LOL!

Any time we have a really good game from the line, I always reflect on that 31-31 game against the Holes many years ago. have no idea the year or who was on the team, but just remember our making all 31.
(Disclaimer: it may not have been exactly 31, but that's my recollection so I stick with it)
Ha. Loved coming into work after that game. 32-32 from the line. Rashad McCants was on that team that eventually won the Natty. Great times.

Haven’t seen any comments on the crowd here. Drove up from Charlotte with my three little ones. Did the $15 student section deal, great seats. We had lunch at a brewery downtown beforehand, left the brewery at 1:30, figured no problem, the Joel is five mins away. Ended up missing tipoff by about five mins because there was so much gameday traffic. That was the first sign that there might be a decent crowd. Thought it was a solid turnout - lower bowl basically full, upper deck maybe 35-40%. Had to be close to 10k people there. Should only increase if we get more games like today!
I thought the crowd was solid but without students there it wasn't as raucious. Smart of Wake to do something with those student section seats and glad they honored the first responsders with some of those tickets.

My first game in a while and I couldn't help but comment to my son that the crowd size in the "right" arena would be a sellout. I've always thought the capacity for Wake should be at 10k. According to ESPN the attendance for yesterday's game was just over 10k. Good game, good crowd, and I'm glad to see Wake doing good things. Glad that Forbes is our coach.

Btw, did any who attended the game see the halftime basketball game between the Police and Fire Dept? A guy that was playing for the Fire Dept. was out there doing some serious dunking.

Even at the time it was absolutely hilarious when it happened. It actually made me feel better about losing because the whole way it played out really was the most Wake thing ever, and Downey out here throat slashing at the FSU bench is GOAT status
It wasn’t even a throat slash, more along the lines of this:

So if Downey and (who was the other player) were in the house, did they give them a welcome over the PA system during a timeout or anything?

Back