• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serious truth about [Redacted]

Larranaga was "offered", according to the Poop Shoot article from last year.

He may have been contacted about his interest, but I doubt he was "offered". There were 6 days between the Dino firing and [Redacted] hiring. At least 2-3 of those were spent with [Redacted] interviewing him and firming up the deal. That doesn't leave much time at all for other interviews. Stevens...and maybe Bo Ryan. I doubt Ronald had a sit down with Larranga. As others have said, given that time period [Redacted] had to be VERY high on the list.

Agree wholeheartedly. The only thing I would add is that I think RW thought he could get someone bigger, but when that failed, I'd guess Buzz was next on the list. The over the top negativity toward him is disturbing and very counterproductive, especially with the players. It is just wrong.[/

This may be true, but who knows for sure? I've read here from some who have connections to the team that the players don't really like bzz very much. Bzz has thrown players under the bus many, many times -- that can't help. While it's probably hard for them to tolerate being called out personally by fans, I'm thinking maybe a few of them appreciate the vocal opposition re: bzz and hope that will stimulate a change in personnel. Maybe some hope the same thing will happen for the basketball team as is happening for the football team -- a shift toward greatly increased optimism and enthusiasm.

Last edited:
He may have been contacted about his interest, but I doubt he was "offered". There were 6 days between the Dino firing and [Redacted] hiring. At least 2-3 of those were spent with [Redacted] interviewing him and firming up the deal. That doesn't leave much time at all for other interviews. Stevens...and maybe Bo Ryan. I doubt Ronald had a sit down with Larranga. As others have said, given that time period [Redacted] had to be VERY high on the list.

Pretty sure Ronald only tried to talk to Stevens, Alford and Tubby before signing up ol' Buzzy boy.

How is the negativity towards Buzz over the top or disturbing? Please tell me.

Legit athletics schools fly banners and make billboards to fire coaches who are recruiting well, winning and seeing the post season. We are literally stuck with one if, if not, the worst coaches in program (maybe conference) history who is as condescending to the fan base as he is his own players without being able to do anything job-related well enough to justify these facts. And BuzzOut talk is over the to and disturbing? More than the cultural revolutionary-strategy of slander, veiled racism, and player bashing?

And as the Grobe to Clawson transition had really revealed, this stupid LOWF attitude toward coaches, program expectations and fan morale really only happens at places like Wake. And it allows mediocrity to reign, players' futures to be compromised, and idiots like Buzz to be paid millions for (incompetently) putting out their own fires.

ETA: and where is the negativity toward players. I only see that from the BuzzIn fringe.

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

Agree. The Poop Shot article from 3/23/13 is still up btw: http://www.accsports.com/articles/ron-wellmans-risky-call Obviously, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Here are some highlights:

On Larranaga
As for the candidates, in fact, [Redacted] was one of five during the process. At least one other offer is believed to have been made, to Jim Larranaga of George Mason. (Though the word “offer” often means different things to the two sides involved – the coach and the school.) Larranaga had proved he could win at a small school, he had a strong academic reputation, and he had worked under Terry Holland, for whom Wellman has the highest respect. But the two could not agree on a deal. . .

The Future
However, even internally, Wellman is not positioning this next year as a make-or-break season for [Redacted]. So let’s be honest, barring a massive breakdown or player defections (which the coaching staff is confident right now won’t happen), it would appear that by keeping [Redacted] for next season, you’re really committing to possibly three more years of him.

The 2014-15 season seems like a tough one to mess up, with the current class as juniors, next year’s recruits with a year under their belts and four-star recruit Shelton Mitchell arriving. One more high-profile recruit for that season (Leron Black? The staff seems confident a big announcement from someone is coming soon) would then seem to make that 2015-2016 season a lock for [Redacted].

Last edited:
How is the negativity towards Buzz over the top or disturbing? Please tell me.

Because he was doing so well- winning games, calling smart plays, and showing dominant charisma with the media and fans. It was only after all you nattering nabobs unleahsed your negativity that [Redacted] experienced trouble.

Agree wholeheartedly. The only thing I would add is that I think RW thought he could get someone bigger, but when that failed, I'd guess Buzz was next on the list. The over the top negativity toward him is disturbing and very counterproductive, especially with the players. It is just wrong.

Do you want to know what is a helluva lot more disturbing, counterproductive, and wrong? Hiring Jeff [Redacted] and then keeping him around for 4 seasons. It may be the worst non-criminal decision in the history of college coaching. In life, you reap what you sow. Of course you are going to get over the top negativity when you follow such a poor, poor course of action. They took the then-glowing face of the University and shat all over it. The negativity is fully warranted.

Do you want to know what is a helluva lot more disturbing, counterproductive, and wrong? Hiring Jeff [Redacted] and then keeping him around for 4 seasons. It may be the worst non-criminal decision in the history of college coaching. In life, you reap what you sow. Of course you are going to get over the top negativity when you follow such a poor, poor course of action. They took the then-glowing face of the University and shat all over it. The negativity is fully warranted.

Not only did they shit all over it, but they've repetitively told us there isn't any shit there when we can damn well smell it ourselves and people continually walk by and make fun of us for having shit all over ourselves.

Just saw him at the grocery store a few weeks ago. He is in pretty good shape for his age

I ran by him while in Winston for the holidays. Was surprised to see him walking and not jogging, as he was an avid runner back when I was in school. Noted, the guy is in his 70's.

I ran by him while in Winston for the holidays. Was surprised to see him walking and not jogging, as he was an avid runner back when I was in school. Noted, the guy is in his 70's.

Maybe after what happened to Skip, he decided to slow it down.

Maybe after what happened to Skip, he decided to slow it down.

True, but he's not living the stressful lifestyle that Skip was living. He's never been as high strung as Skip, even when he was in the middle of his coaching career.

True, but he's not living the stressful lifestyle that Skip was living. He's never been as high strung as Skip, even when he was in the middle of his coaching career.

I think Skip was running, purposely, during the heat of the day because he saw what all the soldier were doing in the heat when he visited the troops as well. I wonder how things would be with our program if Skip hadn't passed? Maybe he would've still been here leading a successful program, maybe he would've left for another job, maybe he would've been fired at some point? Who knows, but I sure wish we could've found out.

I think Skip was running, purposely, during the heat of the day because he saw what all the soldier were doing in the heat when he visited the troops as well. I wonder how things would be with our program if Skip hadn't passed? Maybe he would've still been here leading a successful program, maybe he would've left for another job, maybe he would've been fired at some point? Who knows, but I sure wish we could've found out.

I can't imagine the past six plus years would've gone any worse.

"Then I looked up at the scoreboard and realized that we were losing."

That is a Dave Odom quote that he said in one of the post game interviews. I was flabbergasted.

Saw this quote from Skip that pretty much sums up the situation we have with [Redacted] and makes me realize how much I miss him.

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating. We can talk about having a lot of games left and we can turn this around, but we have to start turning it around."

And another:

"That is just not acceptable. Clearly, there are a lot of things missing. Ultimately, those things fall on me. I'm the head coach, and I take full responsibility."

We would have been awesome and he'd still be coach. Skip would have killed it with those JT/JJ/AFA/Ish teams and I bet he would have overcome his postseason bad luck. Gurley wouldn't have transferred, and I think it's very possible things with Skeen and Walker would have turned out differently (those guys LOVED Skip)

Back