• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake - Dook Game Thread

enjoyed the article Townie....i said this in the Louisville thread, the improvement of our team since the Delaware State debacle is astounding. Our record does not indicate how well these guys are playing. We CAN win the rest of our home games and yes, that includes UVA....now, we likely will not because if nothing else, our inability to consistently hit mid range and long jump shots as well as inconsistent at best free throw shooting.

Really excited for the future of Wake bball. really hope the Deacs beat Ga Tech - it's been 3 years, we are due!

Just got home from game. Froze my fucking ass off walking to the car after enjoying the best time in the Joel in many seasons. Devin was a beast and kept it in check. wish coach had him for four years. We are going to be really good again. The Joel was rocking

It's that intangible. There was an energy in the place we haven't had for a long time sure [name redacted] had his rare moment but that felt like a blind squirrel and an accorn moment.

Watched the game on tv last night and it the Joel seemed to be rocking.... Love it, I'll be there on Saturday.. Very proud to pull for the deacs and couldn't be happier with our new coach.... Go Danny Manning...

10 years ago today Justin Grey hit 5 straight 3s in the first 4 1/2 minutes in our romp over Clemson. Justin scored 31 in that game. Hope we soon have someone who can knock down the outside shot like that.

Nice article Townie, you are a good fit with the BSD crew. 8-8 (0-3) yet we are optimistic.

Okafor is a beast physically but his footwork is pathetic. He's lost posting up with his back to the basket.

He looks like the product of another high school coach who was happy for him to dunk over physically inferior competition.

Watched the game on tv last night and it the Joel seemed to be rocking.... Love it, I'll be there on Saturday.. Very proud to pull for the deacs and couldn't be happier with our new coach.... Go Danny Manning...

Will be there Saturday as well, hope it's a good crowd.

Just one observation, while the atmosphere was much better than the last 4 years it appears that many of our fans have gotten lazy. In both last nights game and the Louisville game at the critical point of the game when we were within one and needed a stop the crowd was sitting and watching instead of on their feet and screaming. The Joel can be very intimidating to opponents, it is loud on the floor if people are yelling and the energy is transmitted to the team. It could have helped greatly.
I guess we as fans need to learn again what it takes to win also. We'll figure it out again. Just need some more people to join us.

still waiting for an explanation as to why Winslow wasn't T'd up, that's automatic and called every time. Danny was pissed

Just one observation, while the atmosphere was much better than the last 4 years it appears that many of our fans have gotten lazy. In both last nights game and the Louisville game at the critical point of the game when we were within one and needed a stop the crowd was sitting and watching instead of on their feet and screaming. The Joel can be very intimidating to opponents, it is loud on the floor if people are yelling and the energy is transmitted to the team. It could have helped greatly.
I guess we as fans need to learn again what it takes to win also. We'll figure it out again. Just need some more people to join us.

I noticed this on tv too. This is one area where I think Skip created a fan-energized environment, thus the craziness we used to see. I would love to see DM work some of that into his repertoire. Maybe its time for him to order pizza to be delivered to the Quad???

Have watched a couple of Duke games this year and Okafor has looked incredible in the post---I think his poor play was more a product of Manning's defensive scheme and our hustle more than anything else.

Okafor is a beast physically but his footwork is pathetic. He's lost posting up with his back to the basket.

He looks like the product of another high school coach who was happy for him to dunk over physically inferior competition.

Also not having the students contributes to this as well. When they are there in full force it motivates the olds around them to be louder.

I've seen lots of people compare him to Duncan. I don't see that at all. The guy is obviously going to be an NBA lottery pick. But nothing about his game screams Duncan to me.

it must be asked....

can we appear competitive in every game this year?

nah we will have some hiccups, which is fine. we have played 2 of the best teams in the ACC at home, if we dont get up for those we would be in trouble. Getting up for the BC's, GT's and Clemsons will be the tough ones.

Devin's fade away bank shot in the second half looked way more Duncanesque than anything Okafor did last night. Of course, Duncan wouldn't have faded away.

The double team out of the gate - putting Leonard on Okafor and having Devin sit back and double Okafor aggressively - was a great move. Got Okafor out of his comfort zone immediately and then he struggled to pick up Devin on fast breaks. Plus we were extremely disciplined in our rotations, forcing the difficult cross court pass which he flubbed a number of times instead of allowing an easy outlet.

Tied up in the early stages of the 2nd half while shooting 0% from deep? Against Duke? Color me impressed. They're still losses, and a home loss to GA Tech would pretty quickly derail the positive vibes flowing right now, but it's very hard not to be swimming in optimism despite the record at this point.

Just need to find a couple reliable plays that can get Wilbekin open. His size is a tough obstacle against good teams. Would love to hear the ACC explain how he could have played better defense on that final Tyus Jones drive though... But even in perfect position, when he gets moving back towards the basket most guards can just rise up over him and make shots.

My only real complaint with Manning last night is that we had Dinos and Devin in at the same time last night against Duke's 4 guard lineup. Duke spread the floor and Matt Jones ended up draining a crucial 3 to put them up 5 with 2:28 to go.

Back