• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Conference Expansion: Stanford, California and SMU Join the ACC

It really is true. Check out our game threads on Reddit every Saturday. Tons of people watching and rooting for us with no connection to WF.

Given our offense, how many of them are gambling and "rooting for us"? I get your point but Wake appears to have a lot of gambling interest given our offense.

They are rooting against who we are playing, not for Wake

If they’re always rooting against our opponents, yeah we’re they’re second favorite team.

If they’re counting on Wake for the cover or the over most weeks, sure that’s a second favorite team.

You say this as if we have some sort of right to stay at the highest level of college athletics. We do not. We are free to hop the minor league bus to Boone, Spartanburg, and Conway and cut down all the travel we want. We are likely to be forced into that -- but we are free to head down to the lower levels if we want. I'm sure Clemson and FSU would be quite happy to stay if BC & Wake (the massive revenue losers) moved along.
Seems like go shit somewhere else is the appropriate response to this.

Given our offense, how many of them are gambling and "rooting for us"? I get your point but Wake appears to have a lot of gambling interest given our offense.
Could be true. I always read through the threads and sometimes post on them. It usually appears to just be general interest, likely spurred by our offense for sure.

Sometimes you need to take advantage of the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." That worked well in Seattle for the Seattle Bowl game against Oregon. Wake was adopted by the University of Washgton local folks because of their dislike of Oregon. It was surreal having purple clad fans supporting Wake.

Yeah was rethinking that and forgot abt ECU. Think it goes UNC, State, Duke, App, ECU and us.

Do you all not travel outside NC? Very few people know anything about App, and no one, I mean no one, knows ECU. UNC and Duke are bigger brands than Wake (except everyone associates Duke with bad football), and I’m not sure NC State has a larger brand nationally. 80% of Wake students are from outside NC; only 10% of State students are out of state. And sports wise, NC State hasn’t won an ACC championship in a major sport in over 3 decades.

I think there is a marketing campaign that could be fun for the "second favorite team" thing.

Start regional with commercials of wake beating big names that are not ACC. Out of conference. Expand to markets where Wake beats the rival. Keep it going.

42 million per team last year. When wake is ranked they pull a million or two viewers per game so yes that would be generating revenue for ESPN.

I know some of you think that it's tiny Wake Forest and only alumni would watch but when Wake does well there's tons of interest. The underdog story is really a seller. If you don't believe me, then watch any sports movie.

My uncle who went to Indiana and a couple friends who went to WVU were texting me during the wake LSU baseball series. If we have some great years in college bball and get some more years ranked in football the WF brand could really take off into a borderline national brand
What's crazy about all of this is that while $42M/year is about to be well behind the B1G and SEC, it's still a shit ton of money on both an absolute basis as well as a relative basis to everyone not in those two conferences. You look at these reports of Stanford/Cal potential going to the Mountain West where the media distribution is $6M/year and it puts it in perspective.

I get it that it's human nature to try and keep up with the Joneses...but for fuck's sake, every school in the conference can do a hell of a lot with $42M/year. I realize it's naïve but a big part of me just wants all the ACC schools to say "you know what? We're in great shape, fuck this noise" and just carry on.

Sometimes you need to take advantage of the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." That worked well in Seattle for the Seattle Bowl game against Oregon. Wake was adopted by the University of Washgton local folks because of their dislike of Oregon. It was surreal having purple clad fans supporting Wake.
I liked the purple fans routing for us but the ones who went all out and made makeshift black and gold jerseys were the best. We drank for free that night as UW fans bought us drinks at the bars outside of the stadium.

Don’t think anything will happen with the ACC anytime soon. The GOR is so costly that the schools who want to leave can’t.
By the time that plays out who knows what the landscape of college sports will be?

Odd? How about putrid offensive play calling with games on the line

Here's the Girls of the ACC Tiers:

Tier 1(0 beers): Carolina, FSU, Clemson
Tier 2 (0-4 beers depending on the sorority): Virginia, Miami, Wake Forest, Cuse
Tier 3(3-7 beers): NC State, Pitt, BC, Louisville
Tier 4(12 beers a shot of tequila and a slippery nipple): VA tech, Ga tech, duke
This list is fucking wack. Duke is way overrated.

Here's the Girls of the ACC Tiers:

Tier 1(0 beers): Carolina, FSU, Clemson
Tier 2 (0-4 beers depending on the sorority): Virginia, Miami, Wake Forest, Cuse
Tier 3(3-7 beers): NC State, Pitt, BC, Louisville
Tier 4(12 beers a shot of tequila and a slippery nipple): VA tech, Ga tech, duke
good to know we've gone from lawyer dick measuring to straight up misogyny.

Well done gang!

Back